Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

Mark_EL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

Yesterday I finally bought a new monitor, an Eizo CS240. Today I have calibrated it for the first time with my Spyder 4 Pro colorimeter and the Eizo ColorNavigator 6 software.

Now I have a question about the contrast ratio. According to the factory specs its should have a contrast ratio of 1000:1. I know that these factory specs are sometimes a bit on the "positive side" but my screen apperantly has a contrast ratio of only 337:1. Would this be within spec of is my screen faulty in some way?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/376/18370531510_eca8313ee1_b.jpg

(one of the reasons for me to have doubts about this is the fact that I read several reviews before buying this monitor. Among these reviews was this one which speaks of a contrast ratio of 743:1)

Edited on Jun 13, 2015 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2015 at 06:37 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

Disclaimer: I've never used an Eizo or CN software so there may be some tribal knowledge that I'm not picking up on.

That review shows the following:

Screen brightness 350cd/m2
Contrast ratio 743:1

You have a VERY different brightness and the black is set to 'minimum' (which appears to be 0.3cd/m2 which is an OK but not great number). Remember that contrast ratio is just brightness/black point so your 337 would appear to be correct for the brightness chosen. The panel and it's backlight simply cant get black enough to yield 1000:1 at low brightness levels.

The good part is that when trying to match a monitor to a print (ala softproofing), an actual piece of paper illuminated by a lamp has contrast ratio of approx 300:1 (matte paper is less) so you're in the ballpark. Very high contrast ratios do not reflect this reality. In fact, my NEC is set to around 300:1 contrast ratio.

You could try another calibration; this time set the brightness to max and the black to min. and see what you get. You could try another calibration and set the contrast ratio explicitly. Y0ou could contact Eizo tech support and they can also explain the issue.

Also, if the backlights are CCFL type, you may want to run the monitor for 80-100 hours to let it burn-in a bit and stabilize.

Jun 07, 2015 at 07:53 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

I have my CG277 set to 90 cd/m2 for the white point and 0.50 on the black point, for an even lower contrast ratio. For my ambient lighting, this is the optimum setup, but your ambient lighting may dictate something different. You're certainly within the normal range. You don't want to have to wear sunglasses when retouching.

Jun 07, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

1. Don't be at all concerned about the contrast ratio.
2. Start making up a set of profiles for different viewing conditions.

If you want 1000:1 contrast ratio then keep the sunglasses handy because the display will be way to bright when using most programs.

100 Cd/m2 is a bit too dark for representing daylight scenes of the beach, etc., but using say 140 Cd/m2 is a bit too bright for representing what you'll get on a print - unless you take the print out into the direct sunlight for viewing. I find that a range from about 90 to about 140 Cd/m2 covers everything that I need.

The good news is that you can create multiple profiles with different brightness and contrast settings that suit different purposes, and when you select any of them the processor in the monitor automatically and very quickly adjusts the monitor calibration to suit the profile. That means you don't have to mess around fiddling with brightness settings on your screen or computer because the monitor does it for you.

I usually edit my photos at about 140 Cd/2 for comfortable on-screen viewing but then, when I want to print one, I'll make a virtual copy (in Lr) and set the monitor profile to whatever suits the intended print viewing conditions. It might be 90 Cd/m2 with 200:1 contrast ratio. Then I get a cup of coffee because the monitor suddenly looks too dark to be useful When I come back the shadow details will usually have disappeared and so they need to be boosted. There's no point brightening the highlights because the monitor cannot make them look any brighter with this profile restricting it, and all I'm doing is trying to get the best image that can be achieved within the profile limitations. The prints then look quite ok and never appear significantly darker than expected unless I view them in lighting that is darker than I intended when I chose the profile. This approach works better than trying to use soft-proofing in Lr.

- Alan

Jun 09, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

An update on this;

I've been talking to someone from Eizo. According to him the CS240 should be able to get a black level of around 0.2 cd/m2 when calibrated with a Spyder IV. With a Colormunki it should even go a bit lower. Today, he did some test-calibrations on a CS240 that sits in their office. You can see the results in this Excel sheet:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/516/18460187668_d40fd4d2d0_b.jpg

My CS240 doesn't get near those black level figures or contrast ratios, not with my Spyder IV nor with the Spyder III that I borrowed from a fellow photographer nearby. And even though I am not sure if it would give me any trouble in real life situations (would it?) I decided to send it back to the dealer and get it replaced. I don't want to pay Eizo money and get Dell quality. (not bashing Dell here or anything but Eizo is quite more expensive)

Jun 09, 2015 at 01:47 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

That is probably the best choice. It really should have gotten down to 0.2 or better.

Jun 09, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

Another update;

This Thursday Eizo released a new model, the CS270. I figured I'd rather spend some more and get a 27" monitor so decided to go for it. I guess I am one of the first -if not the first- in the Netherlands to receive one of these...

I received it today and of course I did a new calibration straight away. I actually did two of them, one with my Spyder 4 and one with the borrowed Spyder 3. Well, it is a bit better then the previous CS240 but it is not a whole lot better imho. I am starting to think that both of these colorimeters that have here are faulty or at least not accurate enough.

I have put the ColorNavigator Validation Results here:

With Spyder 3

With Spyder 4

I also noticed it has a bit of backlight bleeding, as can be seen in this picture:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/553/18155959023_ca67f29892_b.jpg

What do you people think about this? Is this ok for a 1099.- euro (= $ 1240.-) ColorEdge monitor?

Jun 13, 2015 at 03:03 PM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

One more update; The previous photo of the screen was shot from a distance. This photo is shot at normal viewing distance:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/499/18609057060_b5866861f6_b.jpg

I also made a video showing the backlight bleeding/ IPS glow:

What do you think, is this normal for a 27" Eizo ColorEdge screen?

Jun 14, 2015 at 04:52 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eizo CS240 contrast ratio (update; CS270 now)

Can't say whether it's 'normal' but backlight bleed does seem to increase as size increases. I recall hearing of similar issues w/ prior generation NEC 30". I don't think my new NEC 27 has that issue.

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:24 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.