Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

mphocus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

Can anyone help me with what to buy for a wireless trigger for my D750? I went with the cord kind before but the wire wasn't strong enough and broke off. I figure wireless is the way to go as long as I don't have to be in sight of the trigger. I am looking to get it for shooting long exposure mostly.

Jun 06, 2015 at 01:20 PM
mrjpack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

I have the Vello, works perfectly...

Jun 06, 2015 at 01:31 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

mrjpack wrote:
I have the Vello, works perfectly...

Which one do you have in the Vello? You shooting w/ 750?

Jun 06, 2015 at 01:44 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

mphocus wrote:
I am looking to get it for shooting long exposure mostly.

I use a Pixel TW-282. It has a versatile timing function. And a weird (CR2) battery in the receiver, but it lasts a long time and can be had for cheap on eBay. Trigger cables are available for basically anything.

Just noticed that it looks a lot like the Vello RCW "Wireless ShutterBoss" line...

Jun 06, 2015 at 05:37 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

Just noticed that it looks a lot like the Vello RCW "Wireless ShutterBoss" line...

I saw this one but I am thinking the price might mean it will break easily. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753842-REG/Vello_RWII_N_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html

Jun 06, 2015 at 07:11 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

I've got a Yongnuo RF603 set to act as a simple remote wireless shutter release for my D800e, I'm sure it'll work on the D750 with the right shutter release cord. it works really well, both units take standard AAA batteries, I've been using it for a few years without problems, there's an N1, N2, and N3 version, each with a different shutter release cable. for less than $30 on amazon, its not a bad unit.

Jun 06, 2015 at 08:56 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

The original RF603's only work reliably as remote triggers if the shutter-release-connected one is in the hotshoe. Once out, it may or may not work, which has to do with them auto-sensing TX vs RX (I think). I don't know about the most recent version. And the 603 has no timing feature, which the OP would need "for shooting long exposure mostly" - it's just a trigger.

Jun 07, 2015 at 09:04 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

Although I've had the Chinese and off-brands. I've taken to and stuck with Pocket Wizard III models.

Range is UN-parallelled. You can use them as both a flash trigger and body trigger, and nothing can touch it for remote cameras for back-board shots on the court.

Your mileage may vary

Jun 07, 2015 at 01:49 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

John Skinner wrote:
I've taken to and stuck with Pocket Wizard III models.

How would those help with the OP's desire for "shooting long exposure mostly"? They don't have a timer function.

Jun 07, 2015 at 03:51 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

I prefer the ordinary Nikon ML-L3, it works great and fits in any pocket!

Jun 07, 2015 at 04:00 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

matthewsaville wrote:
I prefer the ordinary Nikon ML-L3, it works great and fits in any pocket!

How would those help with the OP's desire for "shooting long exposure mostly"? They don't have a timer function.

Jun 07, 2015 at 04:30 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

Click to start exposure, click to stop exposure, any phone has a timer

kaplah wrote:

Jun 07, 2015 at 06:07 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

hijazist wrote:
[...]any phone has a timer

It's certainly possible to do it that way (I have). But it's boring and error-prone as one stares at the timer waiting for the right number of seconds. Much better to have a trigger with a built-in timer, and inexpensive options are available.

And, AFAIK, for the non-timer options presented you need to click-and-hold with the camera on bulb mode. One's thumb gets tired after a few minutes, which is again error-prone.

The image below is about a three-minute exposure, and I would have hated to do it fully manually:

Jun 07, 2015 at 06:56 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

kaplah wrote:

The ML-L3 is handy enough when you use it, since in either "bulb" or the new "--" (timer?) mode, you just click the shutter open, run a timer on your watch or phone, and then click the shutter closed.

I wish Nikon would have the same feature as the new Canon 7D mk2, and probably all future advanced-amateur and pro Canons, where you can program the Bulb exposure to a specific time. Maybe that'll come in future updates / cameras.

Intervalometers are so complicated, even though I own three or four of them, I still use the ML-L3 when I'm just doing something quick and dirty.

However, I will say that when you want to do something very particular, I'm a big fan of the "Michron" device from Alpinelabs so far. It eliminates the two main quibbles I always have with ordinary cable releases / interval timers:

1.) The cable is an interchangeable audio cable, instead of the permanent cable that always seems to short out or rip out after just a few months of heavy use,

2.) The battery is a button battery that has an impressive 2000+ hours of life, instead of the stupid AAA batteries that most remotes take, and always seem to be half-dead if you use rechargeable Eneloops.

It needs to be programmed from your phone, but for me that's not a show-stopper because you can un-plug your phone as soon as you click "begin", you don't have to have your phone connected to your camera or the Michron device, like other mobile OS-based intervalometers.

As far as wireless triggers are concerned, I dunno. I just haven't had the best luck with them in the past. My favorite is the "Aputure Coworker", but it has to separate parts, one that has to connect to the camera to enable the radio wireless control. It's nice though, because you can monitor and begin/end your exposures via radio signal, instead of IR, so you can do it from a pretty impressive distance. I just have an aversion to carrying around so many different kinds of batteries I guess...

Jun 07, 2015 at 10:13 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

kaplah wrote:
The original RF603's only work reliably as remote triggers if the shutter-release-connected one is in the hotshoe. Once out, it may or may not work, which has to do with them auto-sensing TX vs RX (I think). I don't know about the most recent version. And the 603 has no timing feature, which the OP would need "for shooting long exposure mostly" - it's just a trigger.

I've never used mine with the receiver unit off the hotshoe, so I can't comment on that, but you absolutely can do long exposure, a timer is not needed (though it might be a nice feature, its not a requirement). any standard trigger can do long exposure, the only reason you'd need a timer on it is to do extremely precise long exposures, which is typically not the case. just put it in bulb mode, switch it on to start the exposure, switch it off to stop the exposure. done. I've done it that way for astrophotography work for a long time.if you need more precision, start a stopwatch when you trip the shutter. if the fraction of a second lag that may happen when using a stopwatch is not acceptable, then, a timer remote would be the way to go.

but really with most long exposures a second or 2 won't matter much in terms of the actual exposure you're getting, at 5 minutes exposure a one second lag is only 1/300th of a stop difference.

Jun 08, 2015 at 08:11 AM
mrjpack

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

"Which one do you have in the Vello? You shooting w/ 750?"

Vello Wireless Shuterboss on a D750...

Jun 08, 2015 at 02:45 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

I use the Vello as well, it works great, 100% reliable, and build quality is above what I would have expected for the price. I wouldn't pay for the Nikon ones personally, when the 3rd party ones do the same thing for so much less.

Jun 08, 2015 at 02:51 PM
mrjpack

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

kaplah wrote:
It's certainly possible to do it that way (I have). But it's boring and error-prone as one stares at the timer waiting for the right number of seconds. Much better to have a trigger with a built-in timer, and inexpensive options are available.

And, AFAIK, for the non-timer options presented you need to click-and-hold with the camera on bulb mode. One's thumb gets tired after a few minutes, which is again error-prone.

The image below is about a three-minute exposure, and I would have hated to do it fully manually:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/05/1045405.jpg

Your image is beautiful by the way....

Jun 08, 2015 at 03:19 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

Aloicious wrote:
[...]the only reason you'd need a timer on it is to do extremely precise long exposures, which is typically not the case. just put it in bulb mode, switch it on to start the exposure, switch it off to stop the exposure.
[...]
but really with most long exposures a second or 2 won't matter much in terms of the actual exposure you're getting, at 5 minutes exposure a one second lag is only 1/300th of a stop difference.

1) my concerns are less with precise exposure and more with losing concentration and missing the correct timing by a mile. Or just slipping and pressing the button too early. Each to their own.

2) fully agreed.

Having said that, for the price of the presented timer options, I (personally) find them good value.

Jun 08, 2015 at 08:41 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wireless trigger for the Nikon 750?

mrjpack wrote:
Your image is beautiful by the way....

Thanks!

Jun 08, 2015 at 08:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.