Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Landscape - Filter Test

Searchlight

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape - Filter Test

Picked up my first ND filters yesterday so I rushed out to test them at Sunset. The quality of light is kind of poor but my goal was to see what a long exposure would produce, despite the light. Later in the year when inclement weather returns, this location will produce very beautiful vistas. I can't wait for the fog!

I used the Lee 10 stop ND, Lee .9 GND and a polarizer on this four minute exposure @ F14. This test was more about seeing what type of noise was created on the file and to do a dry run with filters and a long exposure. This was my first time using filters and I wanted to work out any kinks. I would have preferred the .6 GND but when I received the GND soft set from B&H it contained two .09, missing the .06, bummer...

Image was at Sunset on top of the Malahat, BC. looking East. One RAW file, which I processed twice. Once for mid-tones / shadow and once for highlights, then blended in PS with some selective curves.

Comments always welcome,

Paul

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-3vqk4H4/0/XL/i-3vqk4H4-XL.jpg

Jun 05, 2015 at 07:16 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape - Filter Test

Hey Paul,

Congrats on getting the filters, it's always nice to be able to get the shot right in camera (or close to right).

A pretty nice shot here, I wish there was a little more of the pink sky up on top though, it keeps a bit cramped there. But overall a nice image. There looks to be perhaps a gradline on the upper hill on the left, but not positive.

As for your setup, personally I stopped using any 3 stops ND grads a few years ago. With most of the newer camera's and their increased DR that heavy of an ND doesn't seem to be needed. A 2 stop ND is my norm, and I actually bought a 1 stop as with my D800's and D810 their Dynamic Range is so great sometimes all I really need is just that 1 stop to pull down the sky a hair.

If it was me, I would contact BH Photo and tell them you got two 3 stops ND grads in the kit, they are awesome about returns. You will find yourself regretting not having a 2 stop very quickly.

Jim

Jun 05, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Searchlight

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape - Filter Test

Thanks Jim, for your comments.

Yes, I've ordered a replacement GND - soft set already. I think I may return the Hard GND .09 and instead get a 3 stop ND. The 10 is nice but a bit overkill in low light.

With the Polarizer and a 3 stop, I think I'd get more use. That lee big stopper, being glass, I found a little intimidating. A wonderful filter but it could be tough to deal with it in sub zero weather. You only get to drop it once...

I see some kinda line where you mentioned as well. Not sure its a grad line, but it could be. It was a good test, I learned some things. I wasn't shooting for a wall hanger, just working some things out. Later in the year this location will become more photo worthy.

Jun 05, 2015 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.