New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Website Feedback

Corey Jenkins
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Website Feedback

Hello All!

It has been a while since I've used this forum but I just updated my site and would like to get some feedback on it if anyone is up for it. (if this is against the rules I apologize!)

I'm not 100 percent on the image order and also the quality of some of the images. I am viewing on a 27 inch iMac and can see a few issues with the image compression when I look close. I fear making the file size any larger due to longer download times.

www.coreyjenkinsphoto.com

Jun 05, 2015 at 06:29 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Website Feedback

I like some of the basics. The menu on the upper left doesn't suddenly go away. I like that consistency. I like the black as a background color as the images stand out against it.

It seemed like the first time I went to the site, things came up kinda slowly. Later visits were better. Maybe your images are not too small, but too big? My observation (of myself is that people will forgive a lot of things, but they won't wait very long. If a site doesn't respond quickly, they are gone.

None of the images are watermarked. Watermarks are annoying, but so are stolen images. No idea what to recommend, but just something to think about.

Just some random thoughts. Hope some are useful.

Dave

Jun 05, 2015 at 06:48 PM
Corey Jenkins
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Website Feedback

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to check out my site on another computer that hasn't previously loaded it as you make a great point about waiting.

My stock agency keeps an eye out for illegal use of my images and then tracks down the thieves to pay for the images. I get notifications each week, it's interesting where these images end up You should check out Pic Scout for keeping track of images you may think stolen. Every workshop I've been to on branding with ad agency folks say never to water mark your images for your portfolio site. I understand where you are coming from but I make a lot more off the ad agency folks hiring me for jobs than I would make from a few people stealing images for their blog/website. So that is my reasoning for not water marking my images, maybe you'll find it helpful.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

-Corey

Jun 05, 2015 at 07:00 PM
hatch1921
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Website Feedback

Hi Corey,

Let me say... great work all around! Really enjoyed your images.

I didn't experience slow load times... I thought the site/images loaded fast. I wasn't a huge fan of your name being the first image on the site your are greeted with. Just my opinion... I think your first shot should be something which will make me say "WOW" and want to dig further in to your gallery pages.

The site is easy to navigate and functions very well. I enjoyed the behind the scenes section.

The watermark issue... to watermark or not... honestly if a person wants to use your work... watermark or not... they will find a way to do it. Sad... but true. So.. that one I'm on the fence as well.

On another note... how are you enjoying the Einsteins? Dependable? Consistent?

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing the link. I always enjoy quality work!

Hatch

Jun 06, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Website Feedback

Hi Corey, here are my $0.02:

First, your eye and your post-processing are killer. Nice work!

A couple nit-picks on the website: I don't like being forced to accept someone else's idea of how long I should look at an image. I'm OK with slideshows, but make it obvious how I'm supposed either to pause the show so I can study the old guy's tattoos, or speed up the show because I'm embarrassed that my triceps aren't as big as the guy who's doing upright rows.

Also, you've cleverly set the framing such that the right side of the image "bleeds" to the edge of my browser window, no matter how large or small my window is. That makes me feel like I'm missing something on the right-hand side of the image, because there is a black frame around 3 sides and that 4th side is cut off. Give me the same size adaptation but also include a black frame on the right-hand side of the image, if at all possible!

Jun 06, 2015 at 01:58 PM
paneraica
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Website Feedback

Found the spacing between the images to be odd. Maybe placing images of the same size on the same line to keep it uniform. Some had no spacing between the images and some too much.

Scrolling - I like doing it with my mouse wheel. Hate having to move the pointer to the bottom and having it scroll up and vice versa.

Notice some pages were really slow or some jumped that I couldn't click on center images. The moment I moved towards one. Page would jump. Retesting the jump pages. Scrolling was slow, but no jumping.

Just curious, but are you taking large images and shrinking them down to fit? On my site (not photography) I use two images. Thumbs which are 225kb for the main page and linked to stored larger 850kb images

If you take a large 850kb image and just shrink it down. It's still 850kb and pages will load slow if you have a lot of images.

DON

Jun 06, 2015 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.