New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

oldschool15

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

Hi Guys

I am trying as many new things with my 7D m 2 as possible. In zone AF 15 points, it seems that I have difficulties in placing the focus points on the target (according to Canon software), even on bright blue sky... According to Canon, Zone af is supposed to activate F points on the nearest subject. At first, I was suspecting a malfunction from the cam or the lens; however would that be possible that the focus points aren't activating fast enough for a flying subject? The setting is case 1 -1, 0, 0. Should I set the last one to a possitive value?

P.S. I tried to focus on a plane, and the points seemed to work perfectly most of the time; therefore my theory about the points not activating fast enough.

Thank you

Jun 05, 2015 at 03:26 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

I'm guessing your subject isn't large enough in the frame or possibly not enough contrast? Are you just working with birds in flight or other subjects as well?

Jun 05, 2015 at 03:35 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

In the zone focus and the large zone focus modes, you have no control at all over what focus point is initially used for tracking. Instead, the camera chooses what it thinks your intended subject is, and it does so by placing a priority on what is closest to the camera, and, perhaps, what has more contrast.

For that reason, I find the zone and large zone modes to be the two that I find the least use for. For most situations where I'm tracking a moving subject, I prefer to use 8 point expansion. And, even with somewhat busy backgrounds, I've found that all-point focus works well, but note that, with all point focus, you can, via a menu setting, choose to select the initial focus point used or you can let the camera choose the initial focus point, similar to the way it does with zone and large zone focus. Thus, if you are going to use all-point focus, I would suggest setting it up to allow you to select the initial focus point.

Unless there is absolutely nothing in the background that could fool the AF system, for the reasons explained above, I wouldn't even consider using the zone or large zone modes.

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:07 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

Zone is a good tool but it is just a computer trying to figure out what you want. Kinda like ETTL vs manual flash. Good tool but if I can I will always choose manaul flash first.

Jun 05, 2015 at 05:39 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7D M 2 Zone Af

This discussion should help you .https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1368964

Jun 06, 2015 at 06:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.