3       4       5       end

RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Julio Marcos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Fred Miranda wrote:
Post some pictures!

Any additional tips on the conversion or it went smooth following Trijicon's description?

Was going to upload an obvious case of distortion but now I realize that I didn't renew the Upload & Sell membership ... then again the picture was pretty drab to start with. So definitely not for architecture, not for critical landscape either, but good for other situations like the nice examples from Trijicon.

The conversion went smooth, best tip from the description was to use the manual ring to extend the lens and see if there is enough clearance once the lens retracts. It's been nearly five months since I did it, likely I have forgotten some of the details.

Nov 04, 2015 at 05:55 AM
darkalfie

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Thanks Trijicon for the photos. It made the mod so much easier. I had to file a bit (a tiny tiny bit) more to make sure the focus ring turns well. I did notice that the camera actually hits the plastic bit of the adapter, not the metal bit. So the best way (though extremely tricky) is to just dremel off the inner plastic (black) bits.. haha.. tricky :P

The image quality at F/4 onwards is great, and I love how the whole adapter just clicks into the camera.

I'm using it on the RX1R2, and i notice the autofocus doesn't work well. I suspect the PDAF is calculated for the optics of camera only. Shooting with manual focus was easy though.

Dec 24, 2015 at 02:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:
I'm an A7 owner and just recently joined the RX1 club (1 got an insane deal via Craigslist). I own the new 28mm/f2 lens for the A7 and the 21mm WA adaptor for it as well. While comparing the two, I noticed that the RX1 has the same filter size as the 28mm lens (49mm). I then noticed the bayonet mechanism to attach the 21mm WA adaptor to the 28mm lens was the same as the RX1 hood mechanism. I immediately tried fitting the WA adaptor to the RX1 but unfortunately it didn't work. There is a lip on the
...Show more

I just finished the "SEL075UWC" Ultra Wide Converter mod. Thanks to the images posted, it was fast and easy. I will be using it on a RX1RII.
From cutting the outter ring to filing the adapter body until the small bevel section. I did it as described by Trijicon1 and it worked perfectly. Thank you!
The adapter clicks on the lens like it was made for it and it looks great.

Downsides: I've noticed is that it yields great IQ after f/4 as others have mentioned. At f/5.6, it's sharp to the corners but forget about shooting wide-open. I would say the image is good in the center at f/2.8.
There is some CA on the corners of the frame when using the adapter and barrel distortion gets a little heavier. Nothing to worry about though.

Auto-focus does not work on the RX1RII in AF-S mode. It nails every time but when reviewing the images, they are always blurry.

Best,
Fred

Jan 06, 2016 at 08:43 PM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the 0.75x Wide Angle adapter (GW-3) for the Ricoh GR is suppose to fit straight onto the 49mm filter thread of the RX1 lens and reports are that it works well with the original mark1 RX1.

Not sure about the RX1RII though with autofocus?

Review here using the orginal RX1 -
http://bmupix.com/reviews/2013/7/16/shooting-wide-the-sony-rx1-at-26mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002101-REG/ricoh_175780_gw_3_wide_conversion_lens.html

Jan 06, 2016 at 09:04 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just finished the "SEL075UWC" Ultra Wide Converter mod. Thanks to the images posted, it was fast and easy. I will be using it on a RX1RII.
From cutting the outter ring to filing the adapter body until the small bevel section. I did it as described by Trijicon1 and it worked perfectly. Thank you!
The adapter clicks on the lens like it was made for it and it looks great.

Downsides: I've noticed is that it yields great IQ after f/4 as others have mentioned. At f/5.6, it's sharp to the corners but forget about shooting wide-open. I would say the
...Show more

Great Fred, glad it worked out okay. I wonder why the AF doesn't work with the RII? I do get misses on my RI but it's probably a 70:30 success rate for me. Maybe the new AF system requires more precise acquisition and the adapter is throwing that accuracy off. Does AF behave differently in the various AF focus settings? ( single point vs multi point etc)

Still a good option to have for RX1RII AF or not.

Jan 06, 2016 at 09:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:
Great Fred, glad it worked out okay. I wonder why the AF doesn't work with the RII? I do get misses on my RI but it's probably a 70:30 success rate for me. Maybe the new AF system requires more precise acquisition and the adapter is throwing that accuracy off. Does AF behave differently in the various AF focus settings? ( single point vs multi point etc)

Still a good option to have for RX1RII AF or not.

With the adapter in Single-shot AF mode, AF locks very fast even in low light just as good as without the adapter but it's not very accurate and results in blurry images. Even EyeAF locks ok but the eyes are blurry.

I didn't test it in AF-C (continuous) focus mode and that could make a difference. I will report back my findings.
Fred

Jan 06, 2016 at 09:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

I tested this around the house and what I just found out is quite surprising:

With the "SEL075UWC" Ultra Wide Converter on the RX1RII, AF works perfectly in AF-C (Continuous AF). I tried it with Flexible Spot and Expand Flexible Spot and AF locks with speed and great accuracy. Even EyeAF works great in continuous AF mode.

However, with AF-S (Single-shot AF), focus locks fast (green) but the images are always burry. (100% of them).

For for those considering this converted on the RX1RII, remember to set your camera to AF-C when using it.
Fred

Jan 06, 2016 at 10:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

That is really weird because I actually worked really well in AF-S mode, which was the only mode, on the original RX1

Given the lens assembly should be the same, not sure what all changed to make the camera suddenly not able to focus in that mode on the RX2....

Jan 06, 2016 at 11:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

It's indeed weird. AF-S works perfectly without the 0.75x converter but it's very inaccurate with it. (to be polite)
Here is another user experiencing the same issue:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369103/1#13344305

However, in AF-C mode, AF is just about as good as without the converter. I don't have an explanation for it but that's how it is.
Fred

Jan 06, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Good to know Fred. Very weird. Atleast the AF-C makes the converter a bit more useful.

Jan 07, 2016 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

unravel
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

any longer term user reports? any concerns of it messing up the lens barrel?

Jan 22, 2016 at 03:59 AM
darkalfie

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

So here's an updated.. My RX1RM2 was one of those in the light leak serial number and i had mine swapped out.. I tried the UWA adapter, and it now autofocuses PERFECTLY !

But as what Fred Miranda says, only in AF-C.. AF-S didn't work at all..

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

I just received my SEL075UWC to use with my FE28 and think I'm going to attempt this to use with my RX1R mark1...

Can someone confirm that autofocus works with the RX1R mark1 in AF-S mode?

Edit: Just read above that it works

Jan 25, 2016 at 01:05 PM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Not managed to convert my SEL075UWC as yet (waiting for some tools for the job) but I recently treated myself to a Ricoh GR (for true pocketability) with the GW-3 075x adapter so was intrigued how it would perform on the RX1R (mark1) that I have.

Not scientific as it was just a quick test hand held focused at the back fence. Processed through Lightroom using my general presets.

Unusable at f/2.8 and f/4 is not great in corners but quite good at f/5.6 and very good at f/8 & f/11

I think you should be able to click on the Flickr links and download the full size image for viewing for those wanted to pixel peep.

All in all a pretty good alternative to the SEL075UWC for those who don't want to mess around with converting the Sony converter and happy to stop down a little. The Ricoh one just screws on to the filter thread.

Images can be found here -

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3975930#forum-post-57399252

Edited on Mar 07, 2016 at 11:05 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2016 at 05:11 PM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Finally got round to do the modification on the SEL075UWC (Thanks to Trijicon1's instructions)

I know not a scientific comparison and taken on a different day to above images with the Ricoh GW-3 converter and also composition is not the same either (sorry).

Hopefully some might find it useful just to see the differences. You can click on Flickr link if you want to download full size images

Images can be found here -

Edited on Mar 07, 2016 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Thanks for the comparison between the two wide angle adapters. I have found that at f/5.6 and smaller, the Sony wide converter SEL075UWC is excellent to the very corners. If I would go through the trouble of bringing an adapter, that would be my choice. It makes the RX1RII for versatile with options for 24mm, 32mm and 50mm (18MP with a crop)

Jan 30, 2016 at 05:17 PM
karlfoto

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Hi Fred

Just wondering where the images on this thread have disappeared to?

Looking for a good landscape comparison between the RX1rii with ricoh gw3 and A7Rii with a 24 or 28mm. Would be looking at f8 or f11 images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

Mar 07, 2016 at 01:43 AM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

karlfoto wrote:
Hi Fred

Just wondering where the images on this thread have disappeared to?

Looking for a good landscape comparison between the RX1rii with ricoh gw3 and A7Rii with a 24 or 28mm. Would be looking at f8 or f11 images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

Hi Karlfoto

Sorry my fault, I was cleaning up my flickr account and removed the images.

Edit: I have posted them here as it's easier to get to the full size images

Mar 07, 2016 at 10:16 AM
karlfoto

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Hi Sootyvrs

Thank you very much for providing the link for me.

I took the images enlarged them to 100cm and pp at 100% side by side. A few observations. (The word sony refers to the adaptor).

At f4 most of the GW3 image appears better, except for the trees and rocks in the background objects. By using usm of 150, 1.2, 0 this is pretty much the same. There also appear less colour fringing on the gw3.

At f5.6 the gw3 is streaks ahead, no additional sharpening necessary. Wow!

At f8, something changes. The sony now pulls ahead, the gw3 needs the usm treatment to get back on board. Though, the lh bottom of the gw3 images is worse and the rh bottom is better than the sony. There is still worse fringing on the sony.

At f11, I would have to give it back to the gw3. It pulls ahead especially in the lower 1/3 of the image. The top third is close.

I do also prefer the warmer colour of the gw3 images, but that could have been the colder light temperature that the sony adaptor was shot under.

Do these sound like the same as your conclusions? Or is it my eyes wanting the gw3 to win because it is smaller and i dont have to modify it.

All up, it looks like a good option for a wide angle hiking and landscape lens. The auto focus issue can be mitigated by using mf which i would ordinarily use for landscape images at the end or start of a hiking day. When actively hiking, i can use afc or just use the 35mm lens without adaptor.

Pity there is no 70mm equivalent lens.

Anyone got some full res raws i can pp with the rx1rii and gw3?

Mar 09, 2016 at 04:11 AM
sootyvrs
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

I think they both do a good job to be fair especially f/5.6+

The fact that you don't have to modify the GW-3 to fit is a big plus.

However, If you do go to the trouble of modifying the SEL075UWC, it's an easier solution to work with if you are removing and connecting the adapter regularly. The bayonet fitment means you only need a quarter turn.

The GW-3 rubber hood is a little awkward in use as you have to remove it to put a cap over the lens to protect the element. I have tried mine with an 62-67mm step up ring and use a 67mm cap instead of the hood but I don't think it works that well as a proper hood. The bonus though is that it's possible to use filters (unlike the Sony) with the step up ring (cant do it directly as filter may foul the lens element)

The Sony has a built in hood with special cap that is easily connected & removed from the lens but you cannot use filters. Perhaps not a problem on the RX1R version 2 as you can use Sony smooth reflection and Sky HDR apps?

Mar 09, 2016 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password