New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

I'm an A7 owner and just recently joined the RX1 club (1 got an insane deal via Craigslist). I own the new 28mm/f2 lens for the A7 and the 21mm WA adaptor for it as well. While comparing the two, I noticed that the RX1 has the same filter size as the 28mm lens (49mm). I then noticed the bayonet mechanism to attach the 21mm WA adaptor to the 28mm lens was the same as the RX1 hood mechanism. I immediately tried fitting the WA adaptor to the RX1 but unfortunately it didn't work. There is a lip on the inner plate of the adaptor that prevents it from fitting the RX1, I'm sure this was done purposely.

With some self encouragement, I dedicated to "modify" the inner plate and cut of the lip. With more adjustments, I was able to attach the WA to the RX1! I looks like it was made for it! The WA turns the 35mm into an effective 26mm.

Here is a quick comparo of the increased FL. Shot at f8 focused on the swan sculpture

I did a quick IQ test, nothing fancy, no tripod. Here is the scene I shot at different apertures (2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11).

Here are 100% crops of the lower right.

f2.8

f4.0

f5.6

f8

f11

In summary, the lens fits nice and snug on the RX1. The image quality is useable at f2.8 with some sharpening in post, but f4 and on to f11 is nice and sharp. A lot of RX1 user choose the Rocoh G3 WA adaptor, I think this Sony is a nice alternative. It's more expensive, but is engineered for a FF sensor rather than APS-C. This should translate to better IQ... I'm guessing.

let me know if you have any questions or other tests you'd like me to perform.

View previous versions

Jun 05, 2015 at 01:57 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

I'd be interested in seeing what parts you modded, ideally some pics

I've got the combo as well, and have been pretty pleased with just holding it up to the front of the lens. IQ certainly is acceptable.

Only reservation I have is the weight of the UWA, its a pretty heavy piece of glass, and its essentially hanging off the front inner barrel of the RX1's Sonnar. This inner barrel section of course moves in/out depending on the macro setting of the lens.

I assume it was designed with only a lens hood or a 49mm filter hanging off it, not a big UWA.

It seems pretty sturdy, but still, pretty pricey camera and precision optic.... Just makes me wonder if its worth doing at times, especially as if I want a wider FoV than the RX1 provides I've already got the 28/2 FE for 28mm and if I still want wider I've obviously got the UWA too for 21mm

Jun 05, 2015 at 02:19 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Pretty cool, nice job.

Jun 05, 2015 at 02:19 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

millsart wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what parts you modded, ideally some pics

I've got the combo as well, and have been pretty pleased with just holding it up to the front of the lens. IQ certainly is acceptable.

Only reservation I have is the weight of the UWA, its a pretty heavy piece of glass, and its essentially hanging off the front inner barrel of the RX1's Sonnar. This inner barrel section of course moves in/out depending on the macro setting of the lens.

I assume it was designed with only a lens hood or a 49mm filter hanging off it, not
...Show more

I hear ya about why do this mod when I already have my A7. For me, we are going to Europe in a couple weeks and I don't want to bring my A7 multiple primes with me. The risk for it being stolen and broken is too high for me. Plus, I have to young boys so I probably won't have time to change lenses. I'll be bringing the RX1 only, and this WA adaptor will give me another option. I only plan on using the WA if I need too. I prefer the 35mm FL for 95% of my shots.

Sure I'll take some pictures. But essentially, if you remove the four screws, the plastic bayonet connection plate comes off. You'll see two lips on the plate. I cut and sanded the outer lip which was preventing the adaptor from connecting to the RX1 lens. It should now fit. However, this wasn't enough. The plate will not reach the RX1 bayonet connector, the plate needs to be raised for the adaptor to penetrate the RX1 lens. So I used washers to raise the plate. You can see in the picture how the inner plate extents from the WA adaptor. Hope that makes sense. oh and the WA still works great on my 28/2.

Jun 05, 2015 at 02:44 PM
yarnim

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Very interesting. especially now that I am actually considering selling my a7ii and sticking just with the RX1 and maybe a6000 (Havent decided if I should keep the crop or not).

I can always welcome a little wider FOV. Kinda crazy what you did though, not sure if I can be brave enough to do such mod.

And just hate how Sony is doing this. Why can't they make this compatible natively with the RX1? Tooo much greeeeed. No firmware update, no adapter compatibility...nothing for the rx1!

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:39 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

yarnim wrote:
Very interesting. especially now that I am actually considering selling my a7ii and sticking just with the RX1 and maybe a6000 (Havent decided if I should keep the crop or not).

I can always welcome a little wider FOV. Kinda crazy what you did though, not sure if I can be brave enough to do such mod.

And just hate how Sony is doing this. Why can't they make this compatible natively with the RX1? Tooo much greeeeed. No firmware update, no adapter compatibility...nothing for the rx1!

Yeah, I figure with the mod. I'm getting the best of both worlds for my RX1 and A7. I run, hike, and internationally travel with my RX1 and do more landscape, studio, and local traveling with the A7.

My rationale was spend another $180 for the Rocoh adaptor or do the simple mod, keep the cash and get better quality.

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:48 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Another benefit with the Sony over the Rocoh is you need to stop down to f8 to get decent corners. The Sony adaptor will gets you sharp corners at f4. That's a lot of light.

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:51 PM
yarnim

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:
Yeah, I figure with the mod. I'm getting the best of both worlds for my RX1 and A7. I run, hike, and internationally travel with my RX1 and do more landscape, studio, and local traveling with the A7.

My rationale was spend another $180 for the Rocoh adaptor or do the simple mod, keep the cash and get better quality.

Yep, more than reasonable, since you have the right skills do it, too!

I can be crafty with some stuff, but never tried something like this. Would you say the mod you did was difficult overall? Or would a newb like me be able to handle?

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:51 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

yarnim wrote:

How do you know its greed ? Perhaps its just that the RX1's internal lens barrel just wasn't designed for a half pound hunk of glass hanging off the end of it ?

Think your pissed now, how do you think people might feel if after walking around for half a day with the UWA attached they find they damaged the alignment of the lens on their $2800 RX1 ??

I mean come on, the RX1 is a few years old already. Do we really expect Sony to design it based around a UWA that may not have even been drawn up yet ?

For that matter, what do you think its really hurting ?

You think if there is a UWA option for the RX1 people suddenly aren't going to buy a the A7 lineup ? Which if true I doubt Sony really minds, because the RX1 is actually the more expensive alternative

Jun 05, 2015 at 05:38 PM
yarnim

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

millsart wrote:
How do you know its greed ? Perhaps its just that the RX1's internal lens barrel just wasn't designed for a half pound hunk of glass hanging off the end of it ?

Think your pissed now, how do you think people might feel if after walking around for half a day with the UWA attached they find they damaged the alignment of the lens on their $2800 RX1 ??

I mean come on, the RX1 is a few years old already. Do we really expect Sony to design it based around a UWA that may not have even been drawn up
...Show more

I wasn't saying that to argue with anyone, rather a rant'ish complaint out of a want for some more options for the already wonderful RX1. Like you said, it is already pretty old, wanting something new for the old fixed lens doesnt sound too bad does it? I was not trying to offend your sonyhood You are right though, I admit the greed is on my side.

Jun 05, 2015 at 06:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

yarnim wrote:
Yep, more than reasonable, since you have the right skills do it, too!

I can be crafty with some stuff, but never tried something like this. Would you say the mod you did was difficult overall? Or would a newb like me be able to handle?

I would say its medium difficulty. Here is what I did.

First thing to do is remove the bayonet plate by unscrewing the four mini screws holding it in. With a heavy duty scissors or shears, cut off the out lip leaving only the inner lip. This is how it should look.

Then you'll need a metal file and fine sand paper (320 grit is what I used).

First cover the inner optics so you do not scratch the glass as you work. I used spare foam and taped it down. This is the scary part. Grind down the out metal casing evenly. I went all the way the the angled section of the outer casing. This should provide enough relief so the bayonet plate can penetrate the bayonet section on the RX1.

To make it clean, I used black permanent marker and colored the exposed metal lip. It looks great.

Jun 09, 2015 at 02:16 AM
yarnim

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:

First thing to do is remove the bayonet plate by unscrewing the four mini screws holding it in. With a heavy duty scissors or shears, cut off the out lip leaving only the inner lip. This is how it should look.
http://frangalvez.smugmug.com/Misc/i-6hJ9kbR/0/XL/DSC09420-XL.jpg

http://frangalvez.smugmug.com/Misc/i-QdcHVmP/0/XL/DSC09426-XL.jpg

First cover the inner optics so you do not scratch the glass as you work. I used spare foam and taped it down. This is the scary part. Grind down the out metal casing
...Show more

Wow, thank you very much. Wish I could like it a 100 times, though I am not sure if I will be able to do it lol

Jun 09, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:

http://frangalvez.smugmug.com/Misc/i-6hJ9kbR/0/XL/DSC09420-XL.jpg

http://frangalvez.smugmug.com/Misc/i-QdcHVmP/0/XL/DSC09426-XL.jpg

First cover the inner optics so you do not scratch the glass as you work. I used spare foam and taped it down. This is the scary part. Grind down the out metal casing
...Show more

So, as I understand it, you initially used washers to space the bayonet of the lens converter to the correct depth, then changed your mind and subsequently filed back the metal casing instead ... is this correct? If so, I'm curious if the bayonet lock on your converter still works, as I did this mod today and it does not work on mine. I've looked carefully at your photos and cannot tell exactly how much metal you filed off the converter body.

I initially machined back the angled lip to its base, as you did, but that apparently doesn't allow the bayonet to reach the proper depth to lock onto the RX1's bayonet, so I added some shims (layers of tape strips) temporarily underneath the bayonet to further space it away from the converter body, but the lock still doesn't lock. (For what it's worth, I have two RX1s and the converter will not lock onto either of them, so I don't believe it's just a matter of lens-to-lens variation in tolerances.)

Thoughts?

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:11 PM
Julio Marcos
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Just got the WA converter today to perform this modification, but holding to see the answer to Audii's issue before doing surgery...

Jun 11, 2015 at 01:03 AM
Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Audii-Dudii wrote:
So, as I understand it, you initially used washers to space the bayonet of the lens converter to the correct depth, then changed your mind and subsequently filed back the metal casing instead ... is this correct? If so, I'm curious if the bayonet lock on your converter still works, as I did this mod today and it does not work on mine. I've looked carefully at your photos and cannot tell exactly how much metal you filed off the converter body.

I initially machined back the angled lip to its base, as you did, but that apparently doesn't allow the
...Show more

You are exactly right. I changed the design from adding shims/washers to lift the plate into the bayonet mechanism. However this concerned be because the plate was no longer flush with the WA adaptor body, which would reduce its structural integrity. So I went with this new method.

My locking mechanism does work. Its a bit tight, but it definitely locks. You may need to machine more of the lip. To test how much more you'll need to machine off, turn the ring of your RX1 to its macro mode. The front element and bayonet mech will extend out more. Put on your WA, and you'll find it should lock because it's extended. Then with the WA on, slowly turn the macro ring back to infinity. You'll know how much more you have to go as the element/bay mech goes back into position.

Also, I would take off the shims you have and put it back to original spec. I noticed the shims will reduce the extension of the locking arm.

Hope this helps. I'll take more pics in the morn of my final shots.

*******For some reason, this thread is corrupted. It will not display posts or replies past this post. Any more questions, please PM me **********

Edited on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2015 at 02:13 AM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Trijicon1 wrote:
You are exactly right. I changed the design from adding shims/washers to lift the plate into the bayonet mechanism. However this concerned be because the plate was no longer flush with the WA adaptor body, which would reduce its structural integrity. So I went with this new method.

I likewise had the same concerns about using spacers, so didn't even consider that approach.

My locking mechanism does work. Its a bit tight, but it definitely locks. You may need to machine more of the lip. To test how much more you'll need to machine off, turn the ring of your RX1 to its macro mode. The front element and bayonet mech will extend out more. Put on your WA, and you'll find it should lock because it's extended. Then with the WA on, slowly turn the macro ring back to infinity. You'll know how much more you have to go as the element/bay mech goes back into position.

Actually, the test you propose determines only whether enough material has been relieved from the converter body to prevent it from rubbing against the manual focus ring, not the depth of its bayonet's engagement with the RX1 lens. And in my case, there's plenty of clearance with both RX1 lenses at any position of the macro ring.

What puzzles me is that

Also, I would take off the shims you have and put it back to original spec. I noticed the shims will reduce the extension of the locking arm.

My use of shims was only temporary, so I could determine whether relieving the converter body any further would address the issue. In my case, the extension of the lock arm isn't an issue, because it won't extend fully and lock the lens; if it was too short, then it would extend fully, but wouldn't lock the converter in place.

I'll need to take another look at it today before I make a definitive diagnosis, but my hunch is the issue with my particular converter is that the locking arm is being held up from fully extending because it's either too wide or the notch in the RX1's lens bayonet that it should snap into is too narrow. As I explained above, I don't believe this issue has anything to do with the height of the locking arm or the depth of engagement of the converter's bayonet with the RX1's lens bayonet.

Hope this helps. I'll take more pics in the morn of my final shots.

Thanks ... I appreciate your help with this! And I'll take some photos of my converter as well, once I have time later today.

Jun 11, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

this thread was corrupted and I just fixed it.

Oct 31, 2015 at 04:23 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Thanks Fred for fixing the thread.

I just wanted to show the final "product". As mentioned above, I did away with the spacer approach and shaved the lip down until the bayonet mechanism worked. It turns out the appropriate depth for the locking system to work and manual focus ring turn, is where the lip starts to bevel (or angle) inward. See here

I recently brought the RX1 and WA adaptor on a Euro trip. I had nothing else and it worked out perfectly. The WA was used mostly in cramped cathedral's and museums.

Nov 02, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Julio Marcos
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Now that the thread is fixed, I want to thank Trijicon for exploring the WA converter RX1 conversion. Because of his initial results, I got the converter a couple of days before leaving on vacation this summer, and finished the mods the night prior to flying out.

I do have to say that there is quite a bit of barrel distortion on the final images. The RX1 lens already has some distortion, which does not bother me much, I usually apply a bit of correction in Lightroom (+60 under Lens Corrections). With the WA converter the distortion is very obvious, even at +200 there is still some (I even have a preset with an additional +4 Distortion under Transform). I also do get some additional chromatic aberration towards the corners, symmetric on all sides, so maybe not the best landscape lens.

Even then, it is a very fun add-on with great results for family/travel. I spent a couple of days in Paris where I met with my best friend from childhood, and walked everywhere with the RX1 on me and the converter in the pocket of my jacket. I did not leave the converter permanently due to the additional weight, so just used it on demand. So if you love the RX1 like I do, really like the 24mm field of view, and don't mind a bit of corrections, I still recommend getting the converter and modifying it.

Nov 02, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Julio Marcos wrote:
Now that the thread is fixed, I want to thank Trijicon for exploring the WA converter RX1 conversion. Because of his initial results, I got the converter a couple of days before leaving on vacation this summer, and finished the mods the night prior to flying out.

I do have to say that there is quite a bit of barrel distortion on the final images. The RX1 lens already has some distortion, which does not bother me much, I usually apply a bit of correction in Lightroom (+60 under Lens Corrections). With the WA converter the distortion is very obvious,
...Show more

Post some pictures!

Any additional tips on the conversion or it went smooth following Trijicon's description?

Nov 03, 2015 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.