Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

davewolfs
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a very simple tripod that I can use with a Sony Mirrorless Camera and a prime (300 grams). Most shooting conditions will be of my wife and I while on vacation - this vacation is not a photography trip, it's a fun trip.

Initially I thought perhaps get a Gitzo GT1544T but that seems like overkill for this case. I did find the Sirui T-025X and it seems like a good possible choice, relatively in expensive, light and can easily fit in a bag.

My options are basically the Sirui T-025X or perhaps the Sirui T1205X or Feisol CT-3332 legs.

Any thoughts on this? Basically I would like something so that my wife and I can take some pictures when nobody is around and that is reasonably strong enough to hold up a mirrorless system.

Jun 05, 2015 at 10:50 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

The Sirui T-025X is a very small, compact travel tripod. I believe it will be sufficient for your mirrorless system, however, if you're tall you might have some issues with its height. Also, you can't fold the tripod legs up over the ballhead unless the center column is attached, and the center column does not collapse down into the tripod. I found this to be an annoying combination of design choices.

I purchased one a few months ago and returned it because I felt it was a bit too small for my 6D and too short for me to use regularly (I'm 6'2"). I do believe it was well built and sturdy, just wasn't for me. I ended up going with a MeFoto Roadtrip Carbon, which I recommend. They also make a couple smaller MeFoto variants, the DayTrip and the BackPacker. http://www.mefoto.com/products/help-me-choose.aspx

Here are a couple comparison shots I took between the T-025X, the MeFoto Roadtrip Carbon (the tripod I ended up keeping) and my old C-157-M8:

Tripods by Michael Toyama, on Flickr

Jun 05, 2015 at 09:58 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

The Sirui line is great, and any of them will work well with a mirrorless and 300g lens, so just choose the one that has the balance you prefer of folded vs. expanded size.

For me, the t1005x hit the right balance being a step up from the 025x and having an adjustable center column, though I'm using it with a DSLR (D750 and primes).

Jun 07, 2015 at 10:57 PM
tom lozinski
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

This $30 from Sony is actually really good. As long as you don't have a bad wind it will hold it steady. The height doesn't go that high. Only weighs 28oz if I remember correctly. I have taken it backpacking and was so happy to leave my carbon fiber manfrotto at home. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCT-R100-Lightweight-Compact-Tripod/dp/B000EFIJTA

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

For travel like you mentioned I take a small tripod that collapses down to 12 inches and extends up to 31 inches and supports up to 5 lbs. and weighs with its ball head a total of 17 ounces. Mine cost $55 so if it is lost or stolen it is no big deal. The height is not a limitation as I can use it on a table or wall or sitting down.

A comparable tripod I bought recently for a friend, the Silk Sprint Mini II GM 4-section tripod with ballhead that sells for $65. It has a max height of 43", collapses down to 14 inches, weighs only 1.7 lbs. and supports 4.5 lbs - actually more if the weight is centered over the ballhead as with a non telephoto lens.

With my little tripod I can strap it on my camera bag without a second thought and so it is always available instead of back at the hotel room. It won't work with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens but it is perfect for use with full size cameras with wide to normal lenses.

Jun 11, 2015 at 05:48 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Tripod for Non Serious Use (Sirui T-025X)

I use this with a Sony RX1, and it's been perfect. Took it to NY, and Iceland and it performed well. Perfect for a mirrorless camera and it fits nicely in a backpack.

http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

Jun 11, 2015 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.