New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6 after clean OS install

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 after clean OS install

I'm in the process of re-installing all my software after upgrading my mobo and CPU.
I purchased LR 5.X about a year ago and recently purchased the "upgrade" to LR6 (perpetual).

Do I need to install my disc copy of LR5.X first then go through the download process to get my LR6 or can I somehow just install LR6?

And if I can go straight to LR6, how would I do that?

Thanks!

Dave

Jun 04, 2015 at 02:15 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 after clean OS install

Download and install LR6. When you click "I have a license" you'll have to put your original 5 license number and the 6 upgrade license number in.

Put the 6 license in and it will add more boxes for the 5 license.

Jun 04, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 after clean OS install

as tom says you shouldn't need to install LR5 . but even if you did it wouldn't matter . LR5 and LR6 are completely separate programs and can both run without the need of the other

Jun 04, 2015 at 05:15 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 after clean OS install

The only reason you might want to install Lr 5 as well as Lr 6 is to compare the performance of your new computer with both versions. That way you'll now how much improvement is due to Lr 6 using the GPU, etc., and how much was is due to having a decent computer. Or, you may not care because Lr 6 on the new computer will be so much faster than Lr 5 on the old computer was that it simply doesn't matter

Jun 06, 2015 at 02:21 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 after clean OS install

My LR6 misery is FINALLY OVER!!!!! Wooohooo!

After 2 failed and very messed up "clean" installs of my Windows 7 the 3rd time was the charm.
Something VERY strange got corrupt while downloading all the windows updates. I suspect it had something to do with the IE11 updates and I was being blocked from all websites due to bad certificates and other crap.

I'm finally up and running and have downloaded and installed LR6 and PS Elements 11.
I am shocked to see how well LR6 actually runs now. And if I'm not mistaken, there are things in LR that never even worked properly before and I'm not talking about just performance type things. Maybe they fixed a few things in the latest LR6 download. I still see a slight delay using the brush tool but then again I was working on a huge (30 image) HDR Pano image so that might have something to do with it. My previous hardware would have choked on this image file.

I'm happy to say that EVERYTHING in LR6 is running MUCH faster now. From blending HDR's, Stitching Panos, Importing images and making 1:1 previews. Things happen so quickly now I found myself waiting thinking it was still processing something and because I blinked or took my eye off the screen I didn't notice it had already finished.

I do have a question for anyone familiar with mobo's.

My new Asus z97M-Plus Mobo has some kind of a 3-way switch for GPU Boost.
The default is (Disable)
then
GPU-I Enabled (GPU Boost and CPU Ratio Boost)
then
GPU-II Enabled (GPU Boost and CPU BCLK/Ratio Boost)

I have it set on the default right now but I'm wondering if I should change this to a different setting to help LR?

Jun 08, 2015 at 08:52 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 after clean OS install

Lighthound,

Congratulations on getting your new machine running. On a PC running one of the newer quad cores that is set up properly, it is a joy to be working in LR and PS.

For the GPU specific settings I would set it on DISABLED in the BIOS/UEFI. This setting only effects the GPU that is built into the Intel CPU, not the discrete graphics card. Since you have a Z97 chipset, you should also be able to overclock your CPU, assuming you an unlocked K version i5 or i7. If you have a 4770K (Haswell) you should easily be able to clock it at 4.2 to 4.3 GHz on all 4 cores. If you have a 4790K (Devil's Canyon), you can get 4.5 GHz stable clockspeed pretty easily. If you need help on how to make this happen I can post some links.

Jun 08, 2015 at 12:26 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 after clean OS install

Thanks aubsxc, It is nice to actually enjoy editing photo's again.

So for the physical 3-way switch on the mobo, I just leave that set to "disable" and thus not have to disable it in the BIOS?

The CPU I installed is the i5-4670K And yes, any info you could share on over clocking would be great as I have no experience with this at all other than some brief research on the net.

Will I see much improvement by doing so? And how much risk is there being that I'm just using the stock cooling fan. I've dumped enough in this quest and don't really want to sink anymore into it or damage what I've got.

Thanks!

Dave

Jun 08, 2015 at 01:16 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 after clean OS install

I don't have your exact motherboard, but yes, set the physical switch on the board to disable which should be the default setting.

Your i5 4670K is unlocked and should clock nicely on the Z97 board. The key to overclocking is to tune the CPU performance and balance it against the thermal load. With a moderate overclock in the range of 4.2 to 4.4 GHz with a core voltage in the range of 1.15 to 1.25V there is virtually no fear of damage or degradation of the CPU over its useful life (4 years typical). I have been overclocking my processors for 17 years and spend a lot of time browsing computer hardware forums and have never experienced any issues related to moderate overclocking, or read of any issues experienced by others.

You WILL NEED an aftermarket CPU cooler to overclock. The stock Intel cooler can't handle the thermal load for the stock chip (84W?) when running stress tests (it will throttle in a few minutes when the temperature hits 100deg C), much less running the CPU overclocked. You can pick up a nice cooler like the Cryorig H7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

for about $35 from newegg, or an all-in-one water cooled unit like a Corsair H55 or H60 for about $55 to $60. These coolers will allow you to run the CPU around 4.2GHz using 80 to 90W under load and capping out at a peak draw of 115 to 120W under stress testing using AVX instruction sets. I would recommend an aftermarket cooler even if you run the CPU at stock speed.

For your 4670K, overclocking is as easy as doing the following:

Enter the BIOS/UEFI using the DEL or F2 key when the system posts

Select the ADVANCED MODE if the BIOS enters the simple mode by default (usually found in the top right corner on Asus boards)

Select the XMP profile for your memory (the board will automatically select the appropriate timings based on the XMP data stored in the memory module). You will NOT be overclocking the memory.

Set the Clockspeed Multiplier to "All Cores" or "per Core"
With Per Core, you can select multipliers of 44, 43, 42, and 42 for simultaneous loading on 1, 2, 3 and 4 cores, respectively
With all cores, set the multiplier to 42
This will allow the CPU to run one or more cores at the assigned multipliers (instead of the default values) when they are loaded (4.2 to 4.4 GHz instead of 3.4 GHz which is default)

Leave the Base Clock/Strap at 100MHz

For core voltage, select "Adaptive" and start out with an offset of +0.04. You can increase or decrease the offset depending on the quality of your chip. The goal is to find the lowest voltage at which the system will remain stable when fully loaded. More on that later.

Set the DRAM Voltage manually to be slightly higher than the specified manufacturer voltage (say 1.53V if the manufacturer specs the ram at 1.5V)

Optional: Under the Thermal Controls (or similar submenu), set a maximum Extended CPU Power Draw to 115 or 120W. This will make sure the CPU will never pull more power than the limit.

Hit F10 to save and exit. In Windows:

Download the following free software:
CPUID HWMONITOR (allows you to monitor operating speed, temperatures and thermal load)
Prime95 (stress test)
Asus AISuite III - install at least the Fan Controller Module, which will allow you to setup very fine grained controls for all the system and CPU fans which are connected to the motherboard.

Run Prime95 (default options are fine) and monitor the CPU core temperatures and power draw in HWMONITOR. If Prime95 runs stable for 4 to 6 hours, you have a system that should be stable for pretty anything you do with the system. If the core temperatures are good (never exceed 85deg C), you are done. If the temperatures exceed 85 to 90 deg C, you don't have sufficient cooling, and you might want to reduce the core multiplier a notch (drop to 40 or 41) and/or drop the Core Voltage Offset slightly (say to +0.03) in the UEFI to drop the temperatures.

If the program crashes (or Windows crashes), restart, and in the BIOS, adjust the Voltage Offset value upwards in small increments. Maybe try +0.06 to +0.08. This should work for the 42 multiplier with most processors. Rerun Prime95 until you find the settings you are comfortable with (voltage less than 1.3V under load, peak temperature under 85degC ).

In the UEFI, leave the Power States enabled, so the processor can throttle down to much lower voltages and speed when it is not loaded heavily.

It is a lot simpler than it sounds once you have done it a few times. Modern Intel processors are trivially easy to overclock, unlike say 10 years ago when things were more challenging. With a modest overclock to 4.2GHz, you will achieve a 15 to 20% increase in performance over stock. For CPU bound software like LR and PS, the bump is totally worth the little bit of effort it takes to get there.

Good luck, and send me a PM or post here if you have any questions.

Jun 09, 2015 at 12:23 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 after clean OS install

Wow! Thanks aubsxc,

This sounds pretty straight forward. Well... sorta.
I'll take a 15-20% bump! Once I get around to it I'll pm you if I run into any problems.

Sounds like I need to make one more small purchase and I'll be set.
I just need to figure out how to sneak one more little component in the house.

Thanks!

Jun 09, 2015 at 03:57 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 after clean OS install

You are welcome.

Here is a screenshot of one of the workstations I built recently running Prime95 on an i7 4770K clocked at 4.3GHz on all 8 logical cores with an Adaptive Voltage Offset of +0.04V on an Asus Gryphon Z87 board which is fairly similar to yours. The CPU core voltage caps out at 1.244V and CPU temperatures hover around 65 to 70 deg C, which is excellent. The CPU is cooled by a fat radiator with 2 fans running in a push/pull setup. With the system idling, the system is virtually silent with the fans running at 500rpm, and they can spool up to 1300rpm under maximum load over extended periods of time. I love the fan calibration and tuning features you find on modern Asus boards; no other manufacturer comes close in this matter.

One thing to note is that your overclocked CPU will spend a vast majority of its life in service running at 800MHz/0.75V Vcore with about 10W power draw if you leave the Intel Power Management On and the C States enabled. It will ONLY ramp up to 4.3 to 4.5GHz when it is heavily loaded.

i7 4770k running at 4.3 GHz under stress testing

Asus fan control software with independent custom fan curves

Jun 09, 2015 at 07:45 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.