Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · MB-D12 for D800 - tripod thread socket fell out!

Kyle K

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MB-D12 for D800 - tripod thread socket fell out!

So, after a periodic problem of getting my battery tray in and out I noticed this. The actual female "nut" that one would thread a quick release plate or tripod mounting screw had disconnected from the grip body! Take your tray out and look inside - the silver disc piece in front of you is it.
It appears to have been held in place by 4 screws pointing up - I'm assuming the heads of said screws may be accessible underneath the rubber on the bottom of the grip. Can anyone confirm this? If so it looks like a relatively quick fix. Help!
Thanks in advance. Way out of warranty.

Edited to add - I called Nikon Service and they wouldn't tell me if the screws were accessible under that rubber or not. It's policy not to comment on any repair they could potentially make some money on.

Jun 04, 2015 at 01:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MB-D12 for D800 - tripod thread socket fell out!

Hey Kyle,

That's too bad about your grip. Sadly, I can understand their not telling you how to repair it, that's big business for you. But I would say just follow your instincts and go for it. Sending it in for repair would cost as much as just buying a new one, so it won't hurt for you to try and repair it yourself.

Jim

Jun 04, 2015 at 02:51 PM
Kyle K

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MB-D12 for D800 - tripod thread socket fell out!

Thanks, Jim, I did!
I peeled up the rubber and fixed it myself. There was access to screws that attached to a long metal piece (to which the tripod mount sheath was then screwed to). It took about 10 minutes. Glue was still tacky so I just had to push it back on afterwards but I'll probably have to attend to it sometime in the future.
I'm just glad that I didn't have to send it in..

Jun 04, 2015 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.