New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

Instead of paying $9.95 for a piece of plastic, you can use an elastic band for less than one cent.

Get one of those small elastic bands that is about the size of your little finger. Open the ConnectR and slip the elastic band over the clip. Twist the elastic band three or four times so that it is snug enough that it will prevent the screw collar from loosening.

The elastic band can easily be rolled down when you want to loosen the screw collar.

Since the screw collar coming loose on its own was a defect of the product, Black Rapid should have been giving their piece of plastic free to existing owners.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/lockstar

Jun 04, 2015 at 12:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

Gaffer's tape should work nicely, too. Lee Valley Gaffer's tape is the best Gaffer's tape.

(Lee Valley's duct tape is the best duct tape, too)

Jun 04, 2015 at 06:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

that is, of course, if you are using their product (no) and that water is long under the bridge for me with them.

they liberated the clip assy design from the DMM Belay Master 2 carabiner.

Jun 05, 2015 at 07:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

I'm a Gripper.

Jun 05, 2015 at 09:30 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

jcolwell wrote:
Gaffer's tape should work nicely, too. Lee Valley Gaffer's tape is the best Gaffer's tape.

(Lee Valley's duct tape is the best duct tape, too)

Probably good also, but I find an elastic band faster and easier to roll back, especially with cold fingers.

Jun 05, 2015 at 11:49 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Black Rapid LockStar alternative

The elastic/gaffer's tape works well enough, if you already made the mistake of getting the Black Rapid . I made the same mistake, I ended up using duct tape, but same difference.

Or you could get something truly designed for the purpose, with actual thought and engineering on how to relieve the torque resulting from that heavy rig dangling of a single point, the i.e. the Sun-Sniper.

I do not use either system anymore, infinitely preferring the Cotton Carrier, but I feel so much pity for my younger self for wasting time and money on the Black Rapid instead of getting the Sun Sniper from the get-go.

Jun 06, 2015 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.