FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · More than one cure, new image added

davidearls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More than one cure, new image added

Been away for a bit, in the middle of a huge transition. I read eyelaser's comments on tendonitis. My arms hurt, too. Sought a different cure: mirrorless. For FF, I'm going with Sony a7r, which produces beautiful images. For crop, I'm going Olympus M43 - e-m10. Here's the skinny.

The e-m10 with my ancient Oly 200 f4 weighs 1028g all in. My old Canon 400 f5.6 weighs 1462g all by ITSELF. MFD on the Canon is about 12'. The Oly MFD is about 4'. And I get a full stop of exposure speed. Hmmm...

But I'll keep the 400, because now I have an 800 f5.6!. I'll be selling both my Canon bodies, and my beloved 600 f4, but between the Oly and Sony bodies, my old Oly 200 and 300 and the Canon 400, I'll have all the desirable super-tele focal lengths covered.

Just one image today, the most presentable of my test crop so far. From the e-m10 with the Oly 200 @f4 (couldn't get this with the Canon 400). As always, comp is FF. To me, IQ is just fine. I get to fuss and fiddle (things I do well) with MF and stop-down exposure. Hey! If the images are acceptable, enjoy it while you do it.

C&C always welcome.

© davidearls 2015

Edited on Jun 04, 2015 at 11:53 AM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2015 at 05:04 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More than one cure, new image added

Why not stay with one system so that everything works together. Both of the bodies you chose are interesting and can produce fine images.

The flower photo is a beauty

Morris

Jun 01, 2015 at 05:26 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More than one cure, new image added

Thx for the kind words, Morris.

Mirrorless lets you re-think the entire "single-system" approach. Mirrorless registration distance is almost zero, so all my old lenses (Olys, C/Ys, Leicas) can be used on either body via cheap adapters. It's a paradigm shift in the truest sense.

Jun 01, 2015 at 06:19 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More than one cure, new image added

A great shot David - no matter how you captured it ~ Ron

Jun 01, 2015 at 06:41 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More than one cure, new image added

Sorry to hear about your injuries , but glad you found a solution .

The shot is wonderful. Looks like you are going to have lots of fun with your new gear. Look forward to seeing more.

Birdie

Jun 01, 2015 at 07:08 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More than one cure, new image added

Remember me? Yeah, I'm the same bloom as yesterday, just did a little growing overnight. Might want The Dude to capture me again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after... Make it a History kind of thing.

OK, shot this one with the Canon f5.6 on the e-m10, uncropped, effective focal length is 800mm. Had to shoot the side opposite from yesterday, otherwise, it's the same. Canon lenses draw much yellower than Olys, and try as I could, I couldn't get to Oly greens in this shot. I've never cared for Canon greens. Shooting distance here is about 11', the MFD on the 400, but still produces nice bokeh.

I'm all ears if someone wants to tell me the first shot IQ is decidedly inferior to the second. My old eyes don't see it - and here's the thing: shot 1 lens: $69 at KEH. Shot 2 lens: $700 on the B&S forum couple of years back. Shot unseen lens (Canon 800): $13K. Probably never going to see that shot.

© davidearls 2015

Jun 02, 2015 at 01:26 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More than one cure, new image added

Although the greens appeal more in the first shot, i like the pinks better in the second. Anyway, pp can do a lot if you want to I like the first image better overall.

Jun 02, 2015 at 01:42 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More than one cure, new image added

Both are very nice. I love my EM-10 and look forward to seeing more from you.

Jun 02, 2015 at 01:44 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More than one cure, new image added

I agrre that both are nice David ~ Ron

Jun 02, 2015 at 02:30 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More than one cure, new image added

Nitrogen. You thought it was invisible, and on any given day at any given moment, it is. But in sequence it becomes highly visible.

It began to rain at 10 this morning, and never stopped until 3 pm, when I was able to get out and get this shot. Look at the crowning of the seed head, the brilliant color in the petals, and the green in the stem. That's all the product of the nitrogen contained in today's rainwater.

Today, with the heavy cloud cover and the rain, was a 7300K white balance day. Today was also Oly 300 f4.5 on the e-m10 body. The lens is decidedly soft at f4.5 - many Olys are at their widest aperture - so this is stopped down to f8. That explains the "busier" bokeh as well.

Sometime we should start a thread on bokeh, which I think is widely misunderstood. Won't bore you with the theory now -

© davidearls 2015

Jun 03, 2015 at 10:49 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More than one cure, new image added

Another very nice shot David. Just the right amount of tilt in the bloom for me ~ Ron

Jun 04, 2015 at 08:34 AM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More than one cure, new image added

Day 4 of the coneflower. You can still the nitrogen green from yesterday's rain in the BG. From a different viewpoint, you get a view of the Fibonacci series in the seed head. Still an immature bloom, the seeds count 13 spiralling one way, and 21 the other.

Took this with the Oly e-m10 and an Oly 85. Let's see what happens tomorrow -

© davidearls 2015

Jun 04, 2015 at 12:05 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · More than one cure, new image added

Very nicely done David. The colors and sharpness are great. It's a little tight top and bottom for my taste though ~ Ron
And you are the first I have seen here count the seeds. You might want to see someone about that...

Jun 04, 2015 at 02:36 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · More than one cure, new image added

I really like these, great solitude and composition

Jun 05, 2015 at 03:09 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · More than one cure, new image added

Day 5, same camera, same bloom. You can really see summer rushing in here - rich greens and brilliant pinks from the nitrogen, with a generous juicing from sunlight. Yep. Sunlight. Our first day of sun this week. The seedhead is really beginning its crown, though it has a way to go.

Oly e-m10, OM Zuiko 85mm f2 @ f16, 11mm of extension. Low ISO, 1/60 sec. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

© davidearls 2015

Jun 05, 2015 at 04:21 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · More than one cure, new image added

At dawn's early light. Same bloom at 5:45 am (the obvious advantage of shooting at home - no travel time). The entire seedhead is now ringed with pollen, the light is dim, the colors are rich. On what will be a sunny day, in the early morning even the white balance is stirring but not up - measured at 4900K for this shot.

© davidearls 2015

Jun 06, 2015 at 06:26 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · More than one cure, new image added

Very nice set/study of this flower. My favourite so far is #2.

TFS
Geoff

Jun 06, 2015 at 08:21 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · More than one cure, new image added

I agree, the detail in #2 makes it my pick as well. Very nice overall!

Jun 06, 2015 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.