New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Small Bag for DayTrips

aheacock

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I'm looking for a lightweight shoulder bag so that I can carry just enough gear for a day (I will be traveling to Mexico and taking day-trips to Chichen-itza, and other destinations, where I don't want to carry my full kit). I would like to bring a gripped 7D, 50/1.8(I don't have one but I hope to soon), and 24-105(likely with one of the lenses installed on the body), and various memory cards/batteries. I would prefer not to spend more than I have to, so value is definitely a key factor in this. I have found a few bags, however I'm not sure I'll be able to fit the 7D w/grip into them.

These are the bags I am considering:
More expensive:
Domke F-5XB: http://goo.gl/BWUkwB
Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home: http://goo.gl/E1jiaf
Tamrac Aria 2: http://goo.gl/osfflK
Tamrac Apache 2: http://goo.gl/kp48ub

More Reasonable:
Lowepro Event Messenger 100 (this one is the current front-runner, it looks to be of good quality and should hold the 7D sans-grip; w/lens or w/grip; sans-lens): http://goo.gl/dE0ZYg
Adorama Slinger Photo-Video: http://goo.gl/PIHsdZ
Case Logic CPL-105: http://goo.gl/8b26SD

If you have experience with any of these, or any other recommendations I would greatly appreciate it!

-Adam

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small Bag for DayTrips

you missed the think tank options

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:15 AM
aheacock

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small Bag for DayTrips

you missed the think tank options

I'm open to recommendations! Which of their products do you think represents the best value? In my search I looked at their products for a little while but was continually disappointed to see prices over $100. Ideally I would like to spend no more than $50, however if a certain product represents a fantastic value proposition I am willing to go above that.

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:28 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small Bag for DayTrips

Value to a single person is kind of subjective. I'd say just like most other products, these bags have diminishing returns. If $50 is what you are willing to spend, make that your hard cut off point to narrow down your search. Understand that your bag won't be the most customizable, comfortable and stylish.

If you only need this bag for this one trip (In other words, you don't see yourself using it frequently after this), I would recommend buying a nicer one and selling it when you get back. Consider the $20-30 loss your rental fee. Or buy used to begin with if there is time and there will be very little loss. I've been to Chichen-itza and I'd hate to be walking around (and up) with a sore shoulder because I picked a cheap bag. But honestly, it doesn't sound like you are bringing super heavy gear or tons of gear.

Also, are you opposed to using the 7D without a grip and just bringing an extra battery or two? The batteries are easier to carry than the gripped 7D in my opinion. But if you find it uncomfortable to shoot with than that is understandable.

That being said, I have zero experience with the bags you listed Sorry I don't have experience with the bags but figured throwing out the buy then sell option may open things up a little.

Jun 01, 2015 at 11:38 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small Bag for DayTrips

For example:
Think Tank Retrospective 10 being sold for $85
Buy and Sell

Amazon price is $165. Which is shown in the picture fitting a gripped camera.
Amazon

I'm guessing you could sell the bag for the same price you pay for it here on FM.

I only suggest this because I was once (and still am ) a penny pincher. I wanted to justify every purchase I made so I did a lot of buying used and selling when I only needed something once.

Jun 01, 2015 at 11:48 AM
aheacock

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small Bag for DayTrips

It definitely is subjective. I apologize for my ambiguity.

I am not opposed to bringing the 7D without grip, however if I can find a solution that allows me to keep the grip on the camera, that would be ideal. I will probably have the camera out the majority of the day, so the bag should be very light, not that the gear is particularly heavy anyway.

I figured before I made a purchase I would see if anyone had experience with those that I was considering, or glowing recommendations of a product I didn't come across. I'm new to the forum here, and thought this would be a good topic to start with.

Thanks for your reply!
Adam

(I hadn't seen your second reply when I wrote this)
I actually was looking at purchasing that bag from GMPhotography, however it was already sold by the time I found it...

Jun 01, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small Bag for DayTrips

Consider a non-dedicated backpack if you are going to be doing a fair bit of hiking or carrying clothes etc. too. Probably something in the 25L - 35L capacity would be perfect though they are not much smaller than this one that I bought and fitted with ICUs that can be bought cheaply elsewhere :

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366149/0?keyword=Boreas#13021206

Jun 02, 2015 at 02:58 AM
aheacock

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I decided on the shoulder bag form factor because I would like to be able to use this bag when I am carrying a non-photo backpack. I am a student, so this bag would also serve as a way for me to bring my camera along with my school backpack containing my computer and any books I might need to work on a project, etc. I suppose it would be better to invest in a different bag for that purpose, too, however I am on a limited budget.

It's definitely been useful having a DSLR that is capable of recording good quality video for school projects!

Thanks for your reply,
Adam

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:02 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I just bought a bag for my Nikon F3/T, Nikons 28mm f2, 50mm f1.2, 105mm f2.5. I looked at some of the bags you mentioned and tried them out. I don't think the Tamrac Aria 2, Apache 2, or Domke 5xb are anywhere big enough in reality. They didn't even really fit my ungripped F3/T. I also looked at the Ona Bowery, which was very nice, but it too was too small. The problem with these bags is most also have a zipper along the top and this will catch and wear down your camera everytime you pull it out.

I did end up with the perfect bag, and it was a surprise. The new Tamrac Jazz 36 was a perfect fit! Could not be better--there is no zipper top. It's almost as thin as the other bags and overall quite small. I think this would work great for what you have as well. It was about thirty bucks, which put me off a little as I wanted something "fancier", like the Ona, but it looks nice and doesn't scream "CAMERA BAG!" like some of the others. I've been using the bag for a couple of weeks now and it's very easy to carry and use. I'ts not one of those big clumsy thick bags.

Kent in SD

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:29 AM
aheacock

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small Bag for DayTrips

That does look like a nice bag! Thanks for the recommendation!

Looking at the given interior dimensions I like the fact that even though the top opening is a little smaller along the long edge, it's wider on the short end allowing a larger camera, I'm sure that's what you found in practice. From the suggested links on Amazon I found the Tamrac Explorer 2 (http://amzn.com/B000EOUYH6), a model that is now discontinued (replaced by explorer 42), and is available on Amazon for $30. It looks to be just a hair larger than the Jazz 36, which should help with fitting a gripped body, and the 24-105. Also, compared to the Lowepro Event Messenger which I liked, it has a zipper closure so it should be more protective against moisture and other harmful elements.

Thanks for the help,
-Adam

Jun 02, 2015 at 08:03 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Small Bag for DayTrips

My solution and I have lots of gear transport solutions is a gifted used Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG B & H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Canon+Backpack+200eg&InitialSearch=yes&gclid=CjwKEAjwqLWrBRC-_OaG-IfL0kASJAAbzKsV7IgyAc769Iu1HsIT73egO2OgvpF_dhRIljODU7Fx2RoCPtnw_wcB
priced at 36.20. I have a 6D & 60D gripped. I configured the camera to lay upside down with lens attached and I can carry three lenses.

I di have sewn fabric across the Canon logo to de-brand it so it does not scream camera please steal. But when we are carrying a camera we make the same statement.

Just my solution hope you find yours.

J. R.

Jun 02, 2015 at 08:52 AM
aheacock

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I actually use that backpack to carry my full kit. I'm looking for a bag that I can use when I don't want to carry around everything with me. I got mine as a gift as well, it's a great bag but it's a lot larger than I would like for a trip when I don't have any need for my 70-200 or second body.

Thanks for your reply,
Adam

Jun 02, 2015 at 09:25 AM
Willico

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I use the Think Tank City Walker 20 for that purpose. Took it on a Baltic cruise and it worked out well. Easily held my Canon 6d with 24-105 attached and a Samyang 14mm. I've also carried a 70-200 f4 in it. There's various sizes depending on how big you want a "small bag" to be.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/citywalker.aspx

Jun 02, 2015 at 08:49 PM
jiannazzone
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Small Bag for DayTrips

I use a Domke F3X. D7000 with or without grip, 18-70, 70-300, SB600, and various small items. I take my full kit in a Lowepro Mini Trekker, with the Domke packed with clothes in my regular luggage while in transit.

Jun 02, 2015 at 09:34 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Small Bag for DayTrips

Just as an aside, unless the design has changed, I don't think the 4 Million Dollar Home will hold all that you list. Another option might be to buy a camera insert, like the ones Timbuktu carry (and others) and just use a messenger or other bag you already own.

Good luck!

Jun 03, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Small Bag for DayTrips

Check out the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 AW. Very good for just a few items with lots of pouches.

Jun 03, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Small Bag for DayTrips

Check out the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 AW. Very good for just a few items with lots of pouches.

Jun 03, 2015 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.