New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I already have the Nikon 70-300mm ED lens ( non VR ) that I bought used a few years ago. I was wondering if the VR version of the lens has better image quality and is worth upgrading since Nikon now has a rebate on them. The VR would be nice to have so that I could use a slower shutter speed and thus lower ISO.
I am using a Nikon D 300s so I don't have to have a professional quality lens for a high megapixel sensor.

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:44 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

The 70-300VR is by far the best version of Nikon's 70-300's, and it's also good bang for the buck. Not only are the optics better, but VR is a must-have on a lens of that range IMHO, especially since you're using it on a DX body. It's one downfall is that some copies are a little softer wide open at 300mm, but that's pretty typical of most telephoto zooms, and stopping down slightly remedies it.

You can find them used or refurbished sometimes for next to nothing. They are a good buy. It's also a full frame lens should you ever make the jump.

You also don't need to have top end lenses to realize all the benefits of high MP sensors

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:53 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

Dave, I can't speak to the earlier version but I am a fan of the VR copy. I've pulled usable images at 270mm or so at 1600 in low light with sub 100th shutter speeds on a crop sensor. For the price it's a pretty impressive lens.

Regards,

Chuck

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:54 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I bought the 70-300mm VR when still shooting my D300. As you, I had the ED non VR before it. I find that the VR is not as soft at 300 as the old lens and outperforms it in general IQ. The internal motor also makes it a lot faster to focus.

I look at some of my old shots with the ED lens and now can see the differnece in IQ and camera shake. I wanted to step up in IQ just from the VR standpoint and got a whole lot more.

By the way, the 70-300 VR on a D750 is a great combo...

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:01 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

Thanks for the quick answers. It's a very tempting deal.

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:09 AM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I own both. Buy it. Worth it for VR alone.
I just deleted the images but I'll see if I can dig them up. I did an informal smack down of the old ED which I still have, the 55-300mm which I borrowed and I also have the VR which I use all the time. It's on my camera most of the time.
I used a tripod and the VR off. All 3 lenses 300mm wide open, and at f8 the subject was a soda bottle on a stool about oh--30 or 40 feet away.
In terms of sharpness there was no staggering difference, all the shots looked pretty much the same. I notice a whole lot less purple fringing with VR (not in this test, just in general)
The VR handles really nice, focuses quieter, probably and like I said, it's got VR. At $300 bucks it's a steal. My buddy just bought one.

Jun 01, 2015 at 12:30 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

DaveOls wrote:
Thanks for the quick answers. It's a very tempting deal.

I had the ED version of the Nikon 70-300mm, got the VR version, did the comparison and found no comparison. Have to say I REALLY don't understand claims that the IQ differences are minor or barely noticeable. Much better IQ with the VR version, faster AF and then there's VR, all at the cost of a larger heavier lens. I was shooting D300s at the time. The ED version was pretty good, the VR version is quite excellent, even better on full frame.

Jun 01, 2015 at 12:40 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

Do you still have the comparison?

Jun 01, 2015 at 02:30 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I have and love the 70-300VR. Its a great and versatile lens, and is my main long lens for traveling.

While I do not own the Tamron, I hear the their 70-300VC is equally as good, if not better than the Nikon. I hear it tends to be sharper on the longer end than the Nikon. However, the consensus is that if you own the Nikon, the differences aren't big enough to justify selling the Nikon for the Tamron, but if buying new, it's a worthwhile consideration. It's cheaper than the Nikon, and optically comparable.

One difference is that while the Nikon 70-300VR is *NOT* marketed as weather-sealed, it does have a gasket on the mount, so that's helpful. (the rest of the lens is not weather-sealed.)

Jun 01, 2015 at 02:38 PM
kcartwright27
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I owned the 70-300 VR Nikon and it was a pretty good lens.. not so hot in the very long end though. I currently have the Tamron and i feel it is definitely better in the long end and the VC works very well.. they can be had for a good deal if you look around..

I have used both of them on a D300, D7000, D7100, D700, and a D600

Jun 01, 2015 at 02:56 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

KankRat wrote:
Do you still have the comparison?

No, that was a few years ago. I did the comparison shots at several focal lengths, a few apertures, not just at 300mm all on tripod, timer delay, etc. After looking at them, I Ebayed my ED version. Noticeable difference.

Commenting on the Tamron 70-300VC. Yes, either will be better than the Nikon ED. I've heard many claims of the Tamron being sharper on the long end. I think you always have to consider copy variation and if a person doesn't "dial" in the lens with AF Fine Tune. That can make quite a difference if it is not optimal without the adjustment ( true for all lenses). I think I'd be happy with the Tamron too.

I'm not one to proclaim all newer lenses are better, because they aren't. But with the 70-300mm focal range, yes the Nikon VR or Tamron VC are MUCH better than the old ED or G non VR version before it. Well worth the price differential. Buy used if you need to.

Jun 01, 2015 at 04:09 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

One of the best bargains in Nikonland, along with the 50 f1.8G
If you can't get sharp shots at 300mm...ya don't know what you're doin'
The Tamron's decent as well but the AF isn't as snappy. No brainer for <$300
on the used market. Made a fortune with 'em over the years on my rodeo stuff.
This type of thread surfaces every few months...we be needin' a sticky, eh?!

D300s

Jun 01, 2015 at 05:19 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

lorac wrote:
No, that was a few years ago. I did the comparison shots at several focal lengths, a few apertures, not just at 300mm all on tripod, timer delay, etc. After looking at them, I Ebayed my ED version. Noticeable difference.

I'm not one to proclaim all newer lenses are better, because they aren't. But with the 70-300mm focal range, yes the Nikon VR or Tamron VC are MUCH better than the old ED or G non VR version before it. Well worth the price differential. Buy used if you need to.

Yeah, thats true. I only did it at 300mm because thats where I always seem to be at.
At 300mm, which is where I shoot most of the time, seriously there was like no difference between all three lenses.
I was kind of shocked myself. I am going to re-do my tests just out of curiosity.

Jun 01, 2015 at 05:52 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

Coming from the Canon 70-200 f4 IS, I found the 7-3 VR to exceed all reasonable expectations. The lens lists new for about $580, and can be had for $300 or so used or as a refurb. Nevertheless, the VR is quite good, it focuses quickly and the IQ is just fine (to my eyes) for 16X20 and larger prints, even at 300mm (provided my technique is sound and the shutter speed is sufficient). My only beef is that my lens shows a relatively high degree of purple fringing in truly high contrast, direct light situations. However, I'm not shooting indoor sports or events, and so for my purposes the 7-3 VR and 85 1.8g make a killer combination.

Jun 01, 2015 at 06:17 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I do not have the time to read all of this right now, but I will chime in without reading anyways. The Tamron 70-300 VC is better than the Nikon 70-300 VR. The VC in that lens is one of the best I have ever used. If you get a tremendous deal, the VR is still a great option. But I would look into the Tamron of possible.

I have used both quite extensively and that is my opinion.

Jun 01, 2015 at 08:45 PM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

Nikon 70-300 VR is one of the best bargains in Nikon land, on the used market it's really a no brainer. For 300 bucks? definitely. It's image quality is light years beyond the old 70-300 ED version. And with regards to the tamron version, I'll pass. The problem with 3rd party lenses is auto focus performance/consistency and exposure consistency. Tamrons and Sigmas DO NOT focus properly in low light or consistently, they hunt quite a bit. The newer tamrons might be little better but still not a Nikon. I have spent a large sum of money trying 3rd party lenses and as the saying goes, the poor man pays twice. I should've just bought Nikons in the first place. The 3rd party lens manufacturers still haven't cracked the Nikon software/engineering code for lens to body communication.

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:46 AM
RolfJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

https://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/315/sort/7/cat/28/page/2

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:57 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

I have owned both the Nikon VR and the Tamron 70-300 VC. I tested them side by side and while close to each other, at 300mm the Tamron was sharper. I ended up selling the Nikon and still have the Tamron. The Tamron is a bargain for what you get. They recently had a sale on them for about $349.

Edited on Jun 02, 2015 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2015 at 08:25 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

if Trenchmonkey owns, uses and recommends this lens, it must be pretty good.

Jun 02, 2015 at 09:15 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 70-300mm VR lens

DaveOls wrote:
if Trenchmonkey owns, uses and recommends this lens, it must be pretty good.

True this.

Jun 02, 2015 at 11:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.