Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bird's Eye View ...

Blew out the exposure

May 31, 2015 at 01:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bird's Eye View ...

Hi Kent, this is a great portrait of a bald eagle. The brown feathers in the head indicate an immature almost fully mature, the younger ones are all brown.

Exposing eagles for feather detail in the darks without blowing the whites is a very difficult balancing act.

Ideally, you would have all of both eyes or only one. A bit more blur on the background would be nice as well. But if nothing else, I would fix or mute that light green blob just above the left eye.

May 31, 2015 at 02:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bird's Eye View ...

My not familiar with the camera. Does it shoot raw or only jpeg?

May 31, 2015 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bird's Eye View ...

Thanks Ben, good info to know.

I have the RAW, but I did blow the exposure ... even with the raw.

May 31, 2015 at 07:20 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bird's Eye View ...

My usual method for shooting is to under expose a little like we did with color transparency films back in the day and then mine the detail from the darker shadows in post processing. Shooting Kodachrome and the like it was vital to not blow the highlights. Digital sensor cameras seem to mostly be setup to use their dynamic range similarly to slide film, I've read. The earlier digital sensor cameras had so much shadow noise that under exposure could be a problem, but current cameras generally seem to manage quite well. As a backup, a good noise reduction program is also a plus for quashing shadow noise. (I've read that Fuji in its X-Tran series makes adjustments in judging exposures that make the under exposing approach less an advantage. However, I've no experience with Fuji cameras, personally.)

A good, if somewhat extreme, example illustration of the method is in the Kaipara Farm thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366342

May 31, 2015 at 07:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bird's Eye View ...

I usually study / meter from knowledge of the incident light. This one, I just let the camera's reflective metering system determine exposure ... i.e. it got fooled a bit.

May 31, 2015 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.