New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

zunkus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

I'm seriously considering buying this lens. Has anyone here got any experience with it?

I'd be using it mostly for artistic shots of motorbikes and cars, travel photography and landscapes.

Would be very happy with any kind of feedback.

Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

This is what I've found out till now...
click on the link above for a full written review, A thorough video review on YouTube and an image gallery with a diverse amount of images of the lens and photos by the lens (including some full resolution samples) by Dustin Abbott

May 31, 2015 at 03:32 AM
zunkus
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

Some other good reviews...

May 31, 2015 at 11:53 AM
mjpmin

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

I'm a Canon guy and this is the best review I've found on this lens. The reviewer compares this lens against two Canon wide angles and the Rokinon 14mm. After seeing this review, I'm sold on the Tamron. Totally fits my needs.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2822699@N23/discuss/72157651838487969/

Jun 03, 2015 at 05:41 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

I have used the Tamron quite a bit and it is an excellent lens. I had a Tokina 16-28 2.8 which also has a bulbous front element. The Tamron is a large lens, and after I sold my Tokina I tried both the Tamron and the Canon 16-35 f4 IS for an extended period. Nothing wrong with the Tamron but I chose the Canon because it fit a lot better in my bag and could accept filters (although a I will rarely put a filter on it). Most of my Tamron's have been excellent but I just didn't like the size.

Jun 03, 2015 at 06:05 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

Depend on your platform.
It's a fantastic lens. But do you really need f2.8? Likely not for the uses you mention.
In which case you can save weight bulk and money with a 16-35 f4.
Canon make a great one, Sonly do too, Nikon's is a little weaker so maybe if you shoot Nikon you might consider their 14-24 or the Tamron.

Jun 03, 2015 at 06:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

I recently bought the Tokina 16-28/2.8 and if it hadn't have been for the excessive flare I'd have kept it because everything else about it is excellent, even more so when you consider the incredible low price. It's still sitting next to me in it's box - I really need to sell it !

As a replacement I ummed and aaaghed between the 14-24 and Tamron 15-30 (which had been my first choice before I bought the Tokina) and asked questions here on FM. All of these lenses have bulbous front ends of course.

For most of your requirements the 16-35 is also a strong contender with the added bonus of VR (which the 14-24 and 16-28 lack), however it is far weaker than the Tamron VC in the corners and borders so if that is important to you (it is to me) then, especially considering it's more expensive than the Tamron anyway, you may want to cross that off as an option.

I finally bought the Tamron when FMers confirmed what I was reading elsewhere, that the 14-24 is also susceptible to flare and may need more PP work than I was prepared to devote per shot. The first thing I tested upon buying the lens was the Tamron's supposedly excellent resistance to flare .... and it is superb. I compared it to my Zeiss 21mm and it's very close. So that's the lens I bought and will use for an upcoming trip.

Note you do have to buy an adapter and 150x150mm filters if you require them. I bought a Benro adapter (US$130), the highly rated NISI polariser & 10 stop ND (US$160 each) and 3 GNDs (US$70 each) so that saving over a 16-35 or new 14-24 is quickly eroded (though of course it's the same additional cost for filters for any of the bulbous front end lenses) though large filters (e.g. 82mm for the Zeiss) are expensive anyway so it's not a major increase in the cost, if you going to invest in filters, whichever lens you buy.

Jun 04, 2015 at 06:54 AM
zunkus
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

DavidBM wrote:
Nikon's is a little weaker so maybe if you shoot Nikon you might consider their 14-24 or the Tamron.

So it's the Tamron then

Jun 04, 2015 at 10:27 AM
zunkus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

Frogfish wrote:
Note you do have to buy an adapter...

Yes, that is an issue. However to most of my needs I don't use filters and such. It would be nice of course but I can live without for awhile. Thanks for your input guys. Keep them coming.

Jun 04, 2015 at 10:36 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

An old thread, but the only one available where this lens is mentioned. After a week of reading reviews, recent disappointment with Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8 my Tamron should be arriving early next week. I hate giving up my 16-35mm f/4 but I need wider for events.

So, how is it? Did you buy it? Anyone else with experience?

Feb 26, 2016 at 03:38 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

jcunwired wrote:
An old thread, but the only one available where this lens is mentioned. After a week of reading reviews, recent disappointment with Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8 my Tamron should be arriving early next week. I hate giving up my 16-35mm f/4 but I need wider for events.

It rocks. It is heavy, but I like it more than my Nikon 20-35 and 20mm f/1.8. The 20mm f/1.8 is hard to beat for astro but since I have to stop it down the 15-30 comes in a very close second for astro.

Feb 28, 2016 at 05:31 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

jcunwired wrote:

Fantastic. It may just be the best WA zoom out there. Brilliant lens - though it is big, it is heavy and it does need the additional investment in filters. That goes for the best of the competition too though.

Feb 29, 2016 at 02:47 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC

Thanks for the responses. I bought a used one from KEH, in the center of the frame it is very sharp, and VC works quite well. However mine is somewhat decentered, the left edge is quite blurry, the right not as sharp as the middle. I got it for a good price, I'll see what Tamron says about repair before considering a return.

While it is heavy it balances well with 5DIII, a bit less so on 6D. Perfectly manageable though.

Thanks again!

Feb 29, 2016 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.