Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Newfoundland - foot protection?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newfoundland - foot protection?

Will be bringing my trail shoes for newfoundland next month, but they are not waterproof.

I'm wondering if I should get a pair of waterproof shoes/boots, get those standard rubber rain boots, or something else I can just throw on to protect my lower body?

I expect to be dealing with rain, but also think mud could be a problem for me. Depending on where I end up along the oceanfront, I may even want to venture in a couple feet for a different angle to shoot...

May 30, 2015 at 09:02 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newfoundland - foot protection?

Hi Kaitlyn,

As a Landscape photographer your hiking boots/shoes should be waterproof anyway. I would suggest you get some, most of the best ones are lined with Goretex and are quite lightweight. All of my hiking boots and trail running shoes are waterproof, it's not worth not having it. If your feet get wet while out hiking it can debilitate you. So even for your normal hiking I would suggest you get waterproof shoes.

As for the water, I personally don't care for rubber boots, especially at the ocean, the last thing you need is for them to get filled with water from incoming waves. I suggest water shoes that can get wet, and just wear neoprene socks to keep your feet warm.

Now if a really muddy area is of concern, you can use rubber boots, I carry a pair just for that, but usually they are not good for hiking any distances.

Sounds like you will have a fun trip!

Jim

May 31, 2015 at 04:09 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newfoundland - foot protection?

Hi kaitlyn2004

Lucky you , Newfoundland is on my to do list , so many places to get great shot's ,i have been in NB , NS, and PEI those place are great to take pictures... so is Newfoundland i would suggest that you get both of them , the shoes for dry day's and the boots for Wet and Cold day's because Newfoundland can be cold and wet even in summer.

You could go to " co op mountain " or " Sail " to get advice on which brand to get , one thing very important is to Test Field your footwear by taking hiking test as you were on the trip .... ( walk a few Km's ) to test them , they might feel good in the store but after a few hour's in them it could be a nightmare ,also you might find them not of your liking for whatever reason after the try out , that way you will know for sure if they feel comfortable or not , better to have them tested before than being on the middle of the trip to find out that the footwear is not to your liking.

Francois

Jun 03, 2015 at 12:55 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newfoundland - foot protection?

It never hurts to have waterproof boots, but I once spent a month in Newfoundland and never once thought about waterproof boots.

Jun 04, 2015 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.