New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Quick test of new Google Photos

timpdx
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick test of new Google Photos

So Google images has been released, its a competitor to Flickr and iPhoto, offering unlimited** (more on that) storage for your images in an interface designed to work well on mobile as well as uploading your desktop images to the service.

**it promises unlimited jpeg upload on images at 16 megapixels or less. It will compress 16mp images slightly.

So I did a quick unscientific comparison of images uploaded to the service compared with the native files on the computer.

First was a Sigma DP2M image, full of detail as these cameras are well known for. But the files generated after processing in Sigma's DPP software come out under 16 megapixels. I processed this image as a TIFF and exported to Photoshop before saving as a 12 quality jpeg.

The results here are excellent, this is a 100% crop of the Sigma image, original jpeg before uploading and then the google result, downloaded back to the desktop and opened in photoshop at 100%.

I mostly shoot Fuji which clocks in right near the 16mp limit, so I pulled from my Sony RX100 which clocks in at 20mp to see what google does as far as compression:

First, google resizes the Sony 5472 pixel wide image down to 4898 pixels wide.

Then, while really not bad at all, I do see jpeg compression (slightly) in the building in the foreground (arrows). The compression seems pretty light and I don't see an excessive amount of it.

I am still playing with the service, in terms of usability, syncing to the iphone, ect to see if it works for me. I am happy with what I see, so far, at least.

(BTW, I thought I could upload full rez images here, they seem small to me. Origs are over 2K pixels wide)

Sigma DP2M file 100%

Sony RX100 20mp downsizing 200% arrows where I see artifacts

Edited on May 31, 2015 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2015 at 08:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick test of new Google Photos

timpdx wrote:
So Google images has been released...

Do you have a link? Thanks.

May 31, 2015 at 04:41 AM
Rod Gerst

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick test of new Google Photos

Do you mean "Google Images" or "Google Photos" ?

May 31, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick test of new Google Photos

I'm pretty sure he means Google Photos.

May 31, 2015 at 10:09 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick test of new Google Photos

Yes meant Google Photos. I am trying some different images now, but also diving into some of the features. Just created a gallery and sent it to a friend and he printed a full size (8.5x11 on his printer) and is pleased. Now trying some of the phone-based features.

Going to the upload and compression with some 6D images to see what happens.

May 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick test of new Google Photos

Here is another quick test with a nature image that show the compression a bit better than the Sony. Shot with 6D and 24-105L at F5.6 ISO 400

I won't post a full screen shot side by side like above because its too large for FM to show. So I did them one by one.

6D original file size: 5472 x 3648 pixels
Google compressed file size: 4898 x 3265 pixels

First the overall image of Mt. Hood:

And the 2 images, where its now more apparent, at 100% of the compression going on. There is jpeg artifacting around the trees and the sky is certainly taking on a "blocky" appearance.

image uploaded

original RAW conversion

downloaded google file

May 31, 2015 at 12:15 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick test of new Google Photos

And now I take the cropped images from above, starting with the original RAW conversion, so now our file size is under the 16mp by a good margin:

It appears as if google is not compressing this at all (jpeg 12 quality from PS) Also layed both on top and used the "difference" layer style, not much visible difference at all.

Original

Google

May 31, 2015 at 12:28 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick test of new Google Photos

Now my rig is Fuji and the resolution is right at the 16mp limit before compression starts. I have to ask, would these end up being compressed and/or downsized at all?

Downsized no, compression, yes just a little bit. Pixel dimensions are identical and there is some compression visible at 200%. Interestingly, the Fuji *just barely* comes in under that pixel dimensions that google took the 6D files down to.

6D compressed size: 4898 x 3265
Fuji uncompressed and google file size: 4896 x 3264

That is very close, in fact, google seems to have decided that the 16MP Sony sensor that is commonly used by Fuji, Nikon D7000, Sony 5N and other, Pentax, ect is the cutoff before they start downsizing. However they appear to be compressing the images at this file size. Though not as dramatic as the 6D example

This time these are screen caps at 200% enlargement. Shot with X-E2 and 55-200 lens converted from RAW jpeg quality 12 save just like the other tests.

Original

Google

May 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quick test of new Google Photos

So in quick summary:

So it appears that the smaller the file, the less or no compression applied at all (in my 1100 pixel example) but as you get to 16mp with the Fuji, while downsizing is not happening, compression is being applied. And certainly with a 20MP file from a 6D, both downsizing and more heavy compression is being applied.

Now of course you can upload full resolution images with no compression, it just counts towards your Google storage limit. You are given the option for that.

May 31, 2015 at 01:03 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Quick test of new Google Photos

So in quick summary:

So it appears that the smaller the file, the less or no compression applied at all (in my 1100 pixel example) but as you get to 16mp with the Fuji, while downsizing is not happening, compression is being applied. And certainly with a 20MP file from a 6D, both downsizing and more heavy compression is being applied.

Now of course you can upload full resolution images with no compression, it just counts towards your Google storage limit. You are given the option to choose when uploading.

May 31, 2015 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.