New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

A small period of drizzle interrupts the rain.

(An experiment in mood.)

May 30, 2015 at 08:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

Or, ... perhaps monochrome that reminds me a little of platinum/palladium treatment, but a tad cooler?

May 31, 2015 at 03:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

The low contrast (from the drizzly atmosphere @ mood / understood) makes it a bit challenging for the eye to grab on to something. Try cropping down on the sky to balance the forms a bit more so there is a bit of "bite" for us to latch onto, since the contrast isn't there as much. You might also play with some saturation ... hard to imagine me telling you @ saturation ... in your color version. Just "something" isn't quite there for me on this one.

Here's the crop I was thinking. Some contrast change also ... but, that does change the mood / vibe a bit as well (hopefully, not too much).

May 31, 2015 at 08:36 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

I'm digging Kent's crop edit. The large sky in the op doesn't add anything and if the message is "mood" then the tighter crop helps deliver this by making the cool mist between the hills more prominent.

Not sure what caused it but the dark trees on the ridge lines seem out of place compared to all the other softer trees.

May 31, 2015 at 09:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

My thought, a crop and elimination of the bottom trees.

May 31, 2015 at 12:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

I think the low contrast look is hard to capture effectively. Most of these versions appear to me not only low contrast, but washed out and flat. Sky feels a bit high and an intermediate crop from the top might help.
Appears to have some effect heightened or perhaps masked extreme left lower corner, making for a high contrast darker shape there which doesn't feel like it fits somehow.

Scott

Jun 01, 2015 at 11:25 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Drizzel in the Hills, Mahurangi Valley

FWIW, if you want to play with the in camera jpeg, reduced to 1024 on the longest side:

Jun 01, 2015 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.