Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Selling lenses - show serial #/date codes?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling lenses - show serial #/date codes?

Just wondering - when I am selling my gear and taking photos of it, is there any reason to NOT show the serial #? The date code on the lens?

I see some people have blacked it out, others have it fully disclosed, and others just don't have it...

May 30, 2015 at 05:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling lenses - show serial #/date codes?

I fully disclose. Sometimes it's very hard to see the date code on Canon lenses (those that have them), and so I generally mention it in the description (e.g. date code UY = 2010). Sometimes the SN is hard to see, too. I generally don't include the SN in the description, although I'll certainly tell somebody if they ask.

May 30, 2015 at 07:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling lenses - show serial #/date codes?

I've never understood this, although I can see that if they have a very old (low) serial number, they might not want to disclose it as they could be competing with a newer lens which (might) have an updated component in it. For example, I've read on the Nikon board that older 300mm f/4 AF-S lenses will not focus properly on a D750, yet the new ones work fine. However, I can't verify this since I don't own a D750.

Still, IMO to complete a sale to the mutual satisfaction and happiness of both seller and eventual buyer, more disclosure up front is better.

It seems to be just one of those weird nanny state internet "rules" that has self evolved over time, like blocking car and motorcycle license plates.

May 31, 2015 at 09:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling lenses - show serial #/date codes?

I agree with Jim and Craig!!! I always include it if they have it whether or not. I always disclose if I am the original,2nd,3rd...buyer/owner..also..if the seller I bought it from is a FM member(90% are), I include his FM "handle" for a reference and feedback verification.
Dan

May 31, 2015 at 09:15 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.