New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

On my yesterday's "Little heron" post (Pt.1) a comment was made that the dead branch perch didn't look very flattering, and the shot angle was also not favoured.
Well, in order to live up to my "Supertelephotomaster" moniker I went back to the drawing board trying to improve those two aspects of the little heron shot.
Also, for added drama, I stuck a bug into her bill. See if you like this one better ?
If that doesn't cut it, I have a few more alternatives up my sleeve.

(Disclaimer: It's all in good fun. This shot was done using 200-400L @ 560mm lens + 1.4xTC III, for a total of 784mm FL.)

Edited on May 31, 2015 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2015 at 05:32 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

I must say, that 200-400 really takes a teleconverter well. Essentially, a stacked 1.4X + 1.4X, still sharp as all getout.

Nice to see Greenie enjoying some protein.

May 30, 2015 at 05:56 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Tommy, indeed, 200-400L is a worthy companion to all other new long lenses and then some. (I only wish the lens was a bit lighter, but that is more my problem, and besides, if one needs/wants lighter, there is also excellent 100-400 MkII.)

May 30, 2015 at 06:11 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Very interesting image.

It must have been very early in the morning.

Thanks for sharing.

May 30, 2015 at 06:24 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Very well done Peter ~ Ron

May 30, 2015 at 07:07 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

PetKal wrote:
Tommy, indeed, 200-400L is a worthy companion to all other new long lenses and then some. (I only wish the lens was a bit lighter, but that is more my problem, and besides, if one needs/wants lighter, there is also excellent 100-400 MkII.)

Yes, the 100-400 is truly an excellent zoom. I'm still intrigued by the 200-400 (also excellent), but at this point, its price prohibits me from making that move. I suppose that if I sold the 400/2.8 IS, I might be able to afford it. Hmmmnnnn......

May 30, 2015 at 07:31 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Peter, I respect and appreciate your dedication to "au naturel" presentation. Hack that I am, I'd be tempted to lift the exposure ever so slightly, but this is subjective. Also, I would replace the bug with an unfiltered cigarette, 30% ash...

May 30, 2015 at 07:52 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

onegreatcity wrote:
... I'd be tempted to lift the exposure ever so slightly, but this is subjective.

It is underexposed. Period.

May 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

onegreatcity wrote:
Peter, I respect and appreciate your dedication to "au naturel" presentation. Hack that I am, I'd be tempted to lift the exposure ever so slightly, but this is subjective. Also, I would replace the bug with an unfiltered cigarette, 30% ash...

Very true, Camster.....many people find my exposures too dark. The reverse is true too: I find many bird photographers' exposures to be too light, particularly on certain species such as GBH, bufflehead duck, etc.

May 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

This is pretty. The exposure looks correct judging by the log and legs. The body is probably correct as well. You might want to make the body a bit lighter will give this image some pop and make that black background work better for you.

Morris

May 30, 2015 at 10:55 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

morris wrote:
This is pretty. The exposure looks correct judging by the log and legs. The body is probably correct as well. You might want to make the body a bit lighter will give this image some pop and make that black background work better for you.

Morris

Very good call, Morris. The log and legs indeed tell us about the global exposure.
Either way, I do not mind people making comments and suggestions, in fact that is welcome......much of the time I figure out something new or interesting as a result.

May 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM
ted1000
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

I think the exposure is great. Why take shots in beautiful morning light and expose them to make it look like midday? I might experiment with dodging the face (and Dragonfly) a touch while burning the branch a little so they don't compete. But who knows, that might not work.

Ted

May 30, 2015 at 12:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

ted1000 wrote:
Why take shots in beautiful morning light and expose them to make it look like midday?

That is the way I've looked at photography for many years. After all, I had to get my arse out of bed at 5 a.m. or so, and then drive for an hour in order to catch early morning sunlight in that particular spot.

Besides, exposure sliders are very easy to move left and right, but I aim to expose things the way I see them, and sometimes also the way I "feel" the scene.

Now, a propos exposure, how does this grab ya: one of my favourite shots of GBH as she was very slowly prawling/hunting thru mangrove-like growth.

Edited on May 31, 2015 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2015 at 01:04 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Love the shadows from most of your shots. They are amazingly good, Peter.

May 30, 2015 at 01:56 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Nice shot, Peter, that 200-400 looks to be a sweet bit of glass. Your pijun is stunning and that bug just makes things ripe for a magazine spread; remember to keep the cap on that tube of crazy glue tho

Another for slightly underexposing, I suppose prior experience with slide film brought me to this preference. There are occasions when printing, that exposure needs boosting a bit, but I'd rather raise shadows than blow out highlights.
Keep'em coming

May 30, 2015 at 02:31 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Gorgeous shot. How do you manage to have such a black background? It's like those macro photos where flash is used, but it doesn't look like you were using flash here. A striking photo.

May 30, 2015 at 02:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

I think the exposure could be lightened just a bit. I like the exposure in the GBH shot because it tells the true story and I liked the exposure in Pt. 1. Personally I think the pose and perch in Pt1 was better than pt 2. I found pt 1 more dramatic and pt 2 benefits from the bug but it is a bit dark and I didn't even notice it till I read the text.

P.S. Peter I found a redneck (grebe) today and they came close enough to fill the frame of my 300II+2xTC. I was inspired by your redneck post and lucked out in finding the pair of them today on a very tiny lake. My first ever redneck sighting outside of town

May 30, 2015 at 02:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

You are wrong and looking only at the bird's feathers and not the branch that it is standing on. It shot in RAW this exposure is not going to present any problems whatsoever in producing an excellent print.

On the other hand with most cameras I have tested the best exposure in terms of capturing maximum detail and providing the best color fidelity has been one that is slightly overexposed by 0.3 to 0.7 EV. But it also depends obviously on the camera and the scene and the subject and the lighting conditions.

May 30, 2015 at 03:54 PM
kurdeniewiemco

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

I love the last one. Nice shadows work.

May 30, 2015 at 04:01 PM
borno
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Little heron shot with a big lens, Pt.2

Very nice They sure do like Dragonflies!

May 30, 2015 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.