FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

oldschool15

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

Hi Guys

A quick question here...Is using spot metering while focusing manualy make sense? Since spot metering only mesure a tiny portion, and from the center focus point (on many cameras) I was wondering if it was worth it, using spot for macro work.

I am using a Canon 7D Mark2 & T4i

Thanks

May 29, 2015 at 08:38 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

I'm not sure if there is a problem linked to MF of using spot metering but I think there could be a problem with many "macro scenes" as they often tend to have large chunks of differing brightness. I've always used evaluative metering but you still have to get used to it's vagaries and use EC or FEC (when using flash) to compensate in certain scenes.

Brian V.

May 30, 2015 at 01:03 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

Spot metering is useful for all ambient light photography. Don't confuse it with just having a tiny metering spot central, or at some other selected place, in the frame.

Spot metering is metering and locking that reading. You need to meter off a suitable surface which is under the same lighting intensity as your subject and lock that reading. You camera may keep that reading locked only for the one frame or until you unlock it or take anew reading.

Surfaces for spot metering need to be of an appropriate reflectance, theoretically (sometime in practice) mid grey. Other common ones I use are red brick, lawn grass, mid-green leaves or even my green camera bag. I carry a piece of green card with me in case there is no suitable location surface .

When you meter your focus, zoom, etc should be for your subject distance. The surface metered need not be in focus.

So, if you have a white butterfly, frame it and focus, then take a reading off e.g. green leaf and lock it. Reframe the butterfly and shoot.

You don't need a spot reading if you have and area, such as the leaf the butterfly is on, which is large enough to fill the frame. Just half-depress the shutter button (if allocated to metering), meter the leaf, reframe the butterfly and press the button further. You can, of course also lock such a reading.

I hope this helps.

Harold

May 30, 2015 at 01:38 AM
oldschool15

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

e6filmuser wrote:
Spot metering is useful for all ambient light photography. Don't confuse it with just having a tiny metering spot central, or at some other selected place, in the frame.

Spot metering is metering and locking that reading. You need to meter off a suitable surface which is under the same lighting intensity as your subject and lock that reading. You camera may keep that reading locked only for the one frame or until you unlock it or take anew reading.

Surfaces for spot metering need to be of an appropriate reflectance, theoretically (sometime in practice) mid grey. Other common ones I use
...Show more

Thanks Harold, yes it's getting a little less confusing...However, can't I meter dirrectly on the subject ex( the butterfly) instead of trying to find a mid tone very quickly? Let's say the butterfly is mostly white, can't I just take the reading on the bright part, adjust accordingly (in this case, positive compensation), and then shoot? Wouldn't that be quicker?

Thanks Harold

May 30, 2015 at 09:43 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

oldschool15 wrote:
Thanks Harold, yes it's getting a little less confusing...However, can't I meter dirrectly on the subject ex( the butterfly) instead of trying to find a mid tone very quickly? Let's say the butterfly is mostly white, can't I just take the reading on the bright part, adjust accordingly (in this case, positive compensation), and then shoot? Wouldn't that be quicker?

Thanks Harold

Of course you can meter off white and compensate by +2EV. That will mean allocating a function button or dial for quick access to the compensation feature. You may have higher priorities for function allocations. In post-processing you can easily adjust exposure, provided that you do not have severe over or underexposure.

Under-exposure can make images quite noisy, especially in the darker parts.

Harold

May 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM
oldschool15

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual focusing & Spot metering

e6filmuser wrote:
Of course you can meter off white and compensate by +2EV. That will mean allocating a function button or dial for quick access to the compensation feature. You may have higher priorities for function allocations. In post-processing you can easily adjust exposure, provided that you do not have severe over or underexposure.

Under-exposure can make images quite noisy, especially in the darker parts.

Harold

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks Harold. As we say, "life is a never ending learning process". so is photography.

Thanks buddy

Chris

May 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.