FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2004 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Natron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

I'll give this thread a little more time but I think I'm going to delete it soon since it's moving more toward politics and away from photography or photographers' rights.

Oct 07, 2004 at 10:23 AM
ent2b
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Jeff wrote:
I thought the war was over?

Jeff, i think for some, the "war" is like the energizer bunny...it keeps going on and on and on endlessly and more importantly, needlessly. It's a nice distraction from the other "real" problems we have facing us, kinda like megaprocrastination.

Oct 07, 2004 at 10:25 AM
AJ Nadershahi
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

DC.Paul wrote:
I lived in NorCal (Bay Area) for the last 15 years, and I'm sorry to say I'm travelling to LA tomorrow. Before I left in March, I was hearing of photogs being hassled at the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges, which are real targets.

LA was a target during the Olympics years ago, but I think most people who live there have an inflated sense of its national/international importance and relevance. Yes, a big air travel hub, and the movie capitol of the world... beyond that? Nada. No major subway/train system, high population but very low density, not a major world
...Show more

I tried living in SF, just couldn't deal with the self important attitude of most everybody there. So I guess that attitude just permeates the west coast?
And constant smell of urine at every street corner was enough to make me want to stop wanting to work downtown. the "City" is more like a poky overcramped villiage than a large city. And most of the people that live and work in the "city" seem to be tightly wound up on bad coffee.

Beautiful place though to visit, but that's about it. Things are even pricier than LA. Drive up about an hour or two up the coast and it's some of the most beatiful coast line you'll see anywhere.

P.S. Might want to check some of your facts. Last I read, port of LA had the highest amount of traffic in the nation.

Oct 07, 2004 at 12:38 PM
DC.Paul
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

AJ Nadershahi wrote:
P.S. Might want to check some of your facts. Last I read, port of LA had the highest amount of traffic in the nation.

Right you are. My bad. LA still sucks.

As to the "self-important" attitude "permeating" the West coast... I guess that was a backhanded swipe of some sort? My, how clever. No need to be nasty.

Oct 07, 2004 at 12:46 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Natron wrote:
I'll give this thread a little more time but I think I'm going to delete it soon since it's moving more toward politics and away from photography or photographers' rights.

Please don't delete this thread, even though some have resorted to attempts at politicizing it; if it gets out of hand we can lock it, but I don't think we're there yet. I believe there is some valuable information here, and very interesting discourse, however since none of it has anything to do with Canon equipment, I am going to move it elsewhere.

Oct 07, 2004 at 01:04 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Gunny wrote:
After 3782 hits 110 threads, I think the moderator is interested to, letting it go this long

I am interested in the substance of this thread (as many others are), since there is some valuable information contained herein. However I have no interest in your personal (and partisan) political beliefs, so please restrain yourself from including such comments in your posts. It is posts like yours that so often require the locking and/or deleting of threads. Instead of locking the thread, I have appropriately 'contained' two of your baseless posts which otherwise would likely have inflamed many others.

Best,

Jeff
FM.com Moderator

Oct 07, 2004 at 01:14 PM
AJ Nadershahi
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

DC.Paul wrote:
Right you are. My bad. LA still sucks.

As to the "self-important" attitude "permeating" the West coast... I guess that was a backhanded swipe of some sort? My, how clever. No need to be nasty.

Not at all. Didn't mean to come across as nasty. Personally I love the West coast. It has some of the most beautiful scenery around and some of the most open minded people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. But you have to admit, there is a certain type of attitude with most...

Maybe having grown up in the mid-west I'm much more aware of it. As a matter of fact, we used to make our own jokes about it. We used to say, (possibly still do, I haven't lived in that area for about 15 years), that all the fru fru stuff originates in the west coast and the east coast, (LA and NY) and all the riff-raff filters out by the time it gets to the mid-west.

Mid-west area is a great place to raise a family for anglo's, but the more conservative and right leaning attitudes can play havoc with anyone that is non-white. This is just based on my own observations and personal experiences. An example - a black friend and I went to several new car dealerships when he was in the market for a new car. Several of them, (actually most of them) would come up with some lame excuses about the test drive vehicles not being available. After a few of these instances, and just to confirm our suspicions, we did an experiment. He went in and spoke to a salesman about test driving a car and typically he would be refused with some lame excuse. I would walk up a few minutes later and go through the same routine with the same salesman and I never had a problem getting a test drive vehicle. Kind of sickening...

Oct 07, 2004 at 01:35 PM
lurple
• • • •
[X]
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Jeff wrote:

Jeff, did you seriously believe the war against terror was already over or were you just making a sarcastic comment?

Oct 07, 2004 at 03:21 PM
ent2b
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

dwight, i think perhaps we should start some more useful wars...such as..

the war against lack of health insurance
the war against homelessness
the war against unification of church and state

shall we go on? why don't those get their share of attention?

And natron, please do NOT delete this thread. while you might have started this thread, numerous others have voiced their viewpoints just like they would on any other topic. IMHO, other than the mods, the original poster does not and should not have the right to delete the words of others. Their own words is one thing; those of others are completely another.

Oct 07, 2004 at 04:19 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Jeff wrote:

Dwight ® wrote:
Jeff, did you seriously believe the war against terror was already over or were you just making a sarcastic comment?

Hmmm... I was just parroting what I could swear I heard the president say quite awhile back. I guess I have to apologetically say I was being facetious.

Oct 07, 2004 at 05:51 PM
lurple
• • • •
[X]
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Why don't they get their share of attention? 2 reasons I can think of right off the top of my head.

#1) Because many people that complain that they aren't getting enough attention are not out there doing there part to work on the situation and to bring the attention level up. If you believe they need attention start devoting large chunks of time to fix the situation personally and bring attention to it.

#2) None of those issues are sexy enough to the media to cause them to bring the level of attention to the top. Mail, phone, email... CBS, ABC, NBC, the New York Times, and the other major media outlets and start DEMANDING that they focus on these issues. Rally the other people that think like you do to do the same.

Good Luck, you're gonna need it!

ent2b wrote:
dwight, i think perhaps we should start some more useful wars...such as..

the war against lack of health insurance
the war against homelessness
the war against unification of church and state

shall we go on? why don't those get their share of attention?

Oct 08, 2004 at 07:25 AM
nanscombe
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Hi All,

Dwight ® wrote:

If the "War against Terror" was over then this thread wouldn't exist. Why do you think that the Photographers are being targetted?

The difficulty part is educating people that "Photographer DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL Terrorist".

Regards
Nigel

Oct 08, 2004 at 07:54 AM
hither
• • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

mkolch wrote:
It is a vary sad day in this nation when one can rationalize this kind of behavor.I pray everyday that people with good judgement vote this time.
Michael

Therein lies the rub.... stop the useless praying and start voting intelligently. Not JUST for POTUS.... it starts at city hall.

Oct 08, 2004 at 08:07 AM
hither
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

nanscombe wrote:
If the "War against Terror" was over then this thread wouldn't exist. Why do you think that the Photographers are being targetted?

The difficulty part is educating people that "Photographer DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL Terrorist".

Regards
Nigel

I wonder often how folks in the UK feel about the idea of their government authorities being able to follow one from a football match, through the underground, all the way back to one's home in some cases, via CCTV. I don't think, as an American, that I could live under such monitoring without having turned to violent opposition long beforehand.

Oct 08, 2004 at 08:11 AM
lurple
• • • •
[X]
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

hither wrote:
Therein lies the rub.... stop the useless praying and start voting intelligently. Not JUST for POTUS.... it starts at city hall.

This is an EXCELLENT point! So many people get completely wrapped up in the presidential race when the place to really effect change is below that. If you REALLY want something to happen, focus on the House and Senate; that is where stuff really happens. And continue on down the line to your governor and your state and local representatives

I am not suggesting that anyone abandon their concern about the office of the president, just realize that this is NOT where the real power in the country lies; expend more of your efforts at levels where it matters.

Oct 08, 2004 at 08:46 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

vwpilot wrote:
C'mon, I know this sounds like a line, but if you havent done anything wrong you dont need to worry about giving up your ID.

This is scary because.....some people on TV about a year ago were discussing a "national ID". One of them said "If you are a law abiding citizen what's wrong with it? The answer is...Someone could make YOU illegal overnight. Check you history books! The problem with giving up rights is that someone has to die to get them back

Oct 08, 2004 at 11:38 AM
hither
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Here's one idea for combatting the "war on decent photographers". Put up a flier at your local proshop, or spread word through your network of friends, post a billet on the board at school, whatever... announce the formation of a loosely organized photographers group. Use it to trade workflow, critique, image trading, and so on, but PARAMOUNT is that you organize get-togethers for streetshooting. Meet once or twice a month and as a group go about your city photographing whatever you wish - hell, pick a subject: tonight, we're photographing public buildings, next week, morgues!

And then do it. And know your rights. And when these bastards start working the sheep into a frenzy over "suspicious characters with image-taking devices want to eat your children" and other crap, you take your group to the polls or you paint signs and as a group you go stand on the street corner for a night, or should they outlaw photographing mailboxes you GO PHOTOGRAPH MAILBOXES - that is called protesting.

And most importantly, BE an American. Know your rights and fight for them.

Keep your powder dry.

Oct 08, 2004 at 03:04 PM
Timm
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Sheesh. What a thread. I don't even have time to read the last three pages, so here goes:

We, as American citizens, are losing the rights that we are told the terrorists hate and envy. Photographers or not, the same applies. Starting by picking on small groups (minorities, which tripod-toting photographers certainly are) makes this much easier for the general population to swallow.

Oct 09, 2004 at 07:37 PM
AaronG

p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Please read this photographer's horrible story:

Wow. That made me furious to read.

Oct 09, 2004 at 08:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.