FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Time and Client Organization as a Sole Proprietor

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time and Client Organization as a Sole Proprietor

In the last few years I've expanded business quite a bit (a great thing) but for some reason feel like I've become more sloppy with time and client management (not a great thing).

I've become so used to how I handle clients and remember things (often in my head) that it would be impossible to teach someone else how to do it, and I know it's not efficient.

So, here are my questions for you amazing folks that seem to always have it together:

1) Do you use client management software? Why or why not? Interested in both sides.

2) How do you manage your time between editing, marketing, learning new techniques, polishing online presence, etc? Do you schedule out each thing on a daily basis, weekly basis, or just wing it whenever you feel the pressure?

I'm fairly well versed in general time management techniques, productivity tricks, etc...just can't seem to nail down a groove these days. Anytime I find something that inspires me, I either prioritize it to the point of being bored by other work, or 'save it' as something to look forward to, never really getting to it.

Maybe I need stronger coffee.

May 29, 2015 at 04:35 PM
MattGruber
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time and Client Organization as a Sole Proprietor

1) No. For my business I don't see the need. My calendars work well. I keep all my info organized with dates/names/notes on my own.

I rely heavily on my calendar so I don't forget any meetings or events. Recently I started trying to have a more polished and calculated schedule. I have certain days that I set aside specifically for editing. I have certain days of the week that are specifically for consultations. I block out days on my calendar so I know when I can take a break and have a full day off to just relax.

After I would shoot a wedding or session, I fell into the trap of saying "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I'll finish editing that next week." That was the wrong idea. I, like you, would get sidetracked and bored and by the time I got around to editing, I felt myself rushing and pressing... and my work suffered from that. Since then, I do everything I can to edit my weddings as soon after the date as I can. It keeps me engaged and the wedding fresh in my mind.

Coffee helps everything.

May 29, 2015 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.