New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Crazeenick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Lots of opinions on the net on these three lenses, but not many people have actually had the chance to do side-by-side IQ comparisons between these lenses on the same camera body. This is my experience:

I have had the Tamron for a year or so - shooting on an APS-C body (70D and 7D2) - mainly for bird photography. Mainly shooting at 600mm.

I bought a Sigma-C and compared it extensively against the Tamron on the same body.

I found very little IQ difference at 600mm between the two lenses. Indeed, the Tamron seemed marginally sharper in the centre when stopped down to f8. The Sigma-C was perhaps slightly sharper mid-frame and edge. For bird photography it is usually all about the centre, since I am usually reach-limited.

I returned the Sigma-C to the shop for a refund as I didn't think it was sufficiently better IQ than the Tamron to warrant the loss in money involved in changing over.

Then last week, I bought a Sigma Sports. I did very similar comparisons with my Tamron on the same camera body. I was prepared to tolerate the extra weight (and cost) of the Sports if the IQ at 600mm was better. However, I found a very similar story to the Sigma-C. IQ at 600mm was very close to the Tamron, especially in the centre. I was disappointed that I could not see a clear and consistent advantage in IQ on the Sigma-S.

Again, I have returned the Sigma-S to the store for a refund. No way could I justify the extra weight (and cost) of the Sigma-S compared to the Tamron.

I have not tried the new Canon 100-400 Mk2 with x1.4 TC. But all indications are there that this setup would be virtually the same IQ as the Tamron and the two Sigmas.

So I have concluded that - in real use - there is nothing to choose between all these options for IQ at 600mm.

I would say that choice of these lenses would be best determined by other factors such as AF performance, IS performance, size, weight, ergonomics and price. The optional USB dock is a plus factor for the two Sigmas.

If I was starting again now (ie didn't already own the Tamron), I would probably go for the Sigma-C, mainly due to the optional USB dock and marginally better AF performance. But since I do already own the Tamron I will probably stick with it for now.....

These lens options are all great value for money, better than the previous generation of lens options in this price sector. But still some way short of the Canon Big White Primes.

There is no free lunch!

May 29, 2015 at 05:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

i think part of the comparison would have to be in AF ability (and the the possibility to change it via the sigma dock) .
I only managed a very quick side by side of the 2 in a store but the Sigma C did seem to be able to focus quicker and better . by better i mean switching from near and far objects it moved from one to the other very well . the Tamron seemed to get most of the way and then have a little hunt .
same thing goes for a moving object . the sigma kept track a little better .

Also I noticed a couple of other things .

1> the focus limiter on the tamron is 15m against 10m on the sigma (and I think the sigma can be changed via the dock) . 15m could be a bit long for stuff I do which could mean having to have it set to full .

2> I gather the VC is not panning optimised . the Sigma has a 2 mode OS setting . (mode 2 for panning)

I get that cost to change would be a factor in not changing for little or no gain in IQ (they both seemed very good to me) . but If you were buying now (and didn't have the tamron) which would be your choice ?
mine would be the Sigma C

May 29, 2015 at 05:38 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Thanks for sharing. It would be good if you could post some comparison pictures...

May 29, 2015 at 05:40 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

With reference to other tests showing significant differences, a result showing no difference between the Tamron and the Signma S at 600 mm would mean 1 of 2:

1: Copy variations.

2: There were other factors in the test affecting the results.

I am a bit concerned about copy variations.

May 29, 2015 at 06:18 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

alundeb wrote:
I am a bit concerned about copy variations.

Yeah, if you read user reviews of the Tamron/Sigma zooms it's sort of all over the place for comparisons. The Canon 100-400 mk2 seems to have much less copy variation though. The only thing you can do is thoroughly test as the OP did and go with those results. Others reading that can't assume they will get the same result.

May 29, 2015 at 06:56 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

ggreene wrote:
Yeah, if you read user reviews of the Tamron/Sigma zooms it's sort of all over the place for comparisons. The Canon 100-400 mk2 seems to have much less copy variation though. The only thing you can do is thoroughly test as the OP did and go with those results. Others reading that can't assume they will get the same result.

We now have objective data for comparison between the S and the C from 3 independent test sites: Ephotozine, TDP and Lenstip. They all show much better results for the S at 600 mm, except for copy 2 of the S at TDP. Based on that, I think it is substantiated that the S is generally a better 600 mm lens. People having experience with long lens testing should be able to identify a bad copy of the S.

While the Canon 100-400 mk II has much better consistency, it can never be as good at 800mm with a 2X TC mk III as a good copy of the Sigma 150-600 S with the TC1401.

May 29, 2015 at 07:18 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

So in other words, it's still down to copy variation. Do your own testing! Don't assume anything from reviews.

The OP in their tests is happy with their Tamron copy. That's all that matters.

May 29, 2015 at 08:33 AM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Thanks , I had the money saved last year , but no Tammy's in stock . Then family problems- money gone . I have now decided I want a 150-600 for Vacation in Mexico in August .
I am not really a pixel peeper - just want good flower shots that I can not get to .
Right now it is the 70-200 mk 2 +2XII .

May 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Roy Morales wrote:
Thanks , I had the money saved last year , but no Tammy's in stock . Then family problems- money gone . I have now decided I want a 150-600 for Vacation in Mexico in August .
I am not really a pixel peeper - just want good flower shots that I can not get to .
Right now it is the 70-200 mk 2 +2XII .

The Sigma has better bokeh

May 30, 2015 at 11:40 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

johnctharp wrote:
The Sigma has better bokeh

I'm curious what supports this statement. I haven't seen any comments and comparison photos to show this. This would be important to me if it's true. Thanks.

May 30, 2015 at 12:30 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

diverhank wrote:
I'm curious what supports this statement. I haven't seen any comments and comparison photos to show this. This would be important to me if it's true. Thanks.

I've seen noisy bokeh in Tamron shots posted on FM and elsewhere that has not been exhibited in *any* of the shots posted from either Sigma lens. I'd suggest checking the various threads with shots from the lenses.

May 30, 2015 at 01:22 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

johnctharp - thanks , I gave up on bokeh back in film days . [ used to use Vaseline on filters to blur/ make bokeh ]
Now to me it just means either the speed was to slow and / or not focused .
I find bokeh distracting - but I mainly shoot flowers and relatives . I want to see leaf on flower or picture on wall behind people .
You would / maybe not - be surprised how many times I have cropped to get a shot of someone behind / on side of shot .

May 31, 2015 at 09:52 AM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

johnctharp wrote:
I've seen noisy bokeh in Tamron shots posted on FM and elsewhere that has not been exhibited in *any* of the shots posted from either Sigma lens. I'd suggest checking the various threads with shots from the lenses.

I see the opposite, go figure

May 31, 2015 at 09:57 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Roy Morales wrote:
johnctharp - thanks , I gave up on bokeh back in film days . [ used to use Vaseline on filters to blur/ make bokeh ]
Now to me it just means either the speed was to slow and / or not focused .
I find bokeh distracting - but I mainly shoot flowers and relatives . I want to see leaf on flower or picture on wall behind people .
You would / maybe not - be surprised how many times I have cropped to get a shot of someone behind / on side of shot .

I'm not talking about the parts of the image that are completely blurred due to DOF; I'm talking about the transition to that point, from the point of best focus.

This is where the Sigma wins, and the Tamron fails (as does say Nikon's 80-400G). Really nervous looking stuff pops up that I'd rather not see in my own photographs.

May 31, 2015 at 10:11 AM
leonkoum
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

I love my tamron

Jul 11, 2015 at 01:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

I liked my Tamron, but I love my Sigma.

Jul 11, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Mike Eckstein
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · IQ comparisons at 600mm: Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma-C vs Sigma-S

Here's a couple of flower shots with the Sigma 150-600C. Both at 600mm.

http://www.meckstein.com/post/f1.jpg

http://www.meckstein.com/post/f2.jpg

Jul 11, 2015 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.