New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

Kevin Giannini

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

I haven't seen anything mentioned here yet, but I just saw this on Tamron's site and called and this update was announced a couple of days ago and is on their web site. http://www.tamron-usa.com/about/updates_canon.php

I've never been succesful using the Tamron VC while panning, but maybe now this will be fixed! Hope so. Mine is being shipped back tomorrow for the update.
Regards,
Kevin

May 28, 2015 at 07:03 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

Thanks for the info. I had sent mine back last month to get the VC unit replaced. I wonder if this firmware is brand new and I will still need this update. I have sent Tamron an email to ask them.

It sucks we have to pay shipping and insurance to ship it back. Last time it cost me $40. But I would ship it again because I shoot mostly BiF which requires a fair amount of panning.

May 28, 2015 at 07:51 PM
Kevin Giannini

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

Not sure but I'd be interested to hear. I spoke to a rep and he said this firmware was just posted a couple of days ago. It is a pain to pay for shipping but I'll be happy if this improves the VC while panning. I also do mostly BIF so it'll be a pleasure not to have to flip the VC switch all the time.

May 28, 2015 at 08:01 PM
Kevin Giannini

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

I sent mine back last Friday and got notice today (Tuesday) that they have shipped it back. Great turn-around. The invoice said they corrected the VC panning function (firmware), and disassembled and cleaned entire lens and adjusted focus quality. On their site it states that the consumer ALWAYS pays shipping to Tamron regardless of the repair, warranty or not. I figured it was worth the $11 to ship it back for this. Hopefully I get it by Friday and can test it out. I've been extremely happy with this lens, but have never been able to use the VC while panning and sometimes forget to turn it off when tracking BIF. If it works, this will certainly be great and hopefully it's as sharp as when I sent it in! :-)
I'm surprised I haven't seen where anyone else has done this, or is even aware of the firmware update, either here or on DPReview or other forums?

Jun 02, 2015 at 05:27 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

Who shipped for 11? Last time I shipped usps it was 40 bucks. Btw, my lens still need to be shipped back. This firmware is brand new.

Jun 02, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Kevin Giannini

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

USPS 2 day. It was $11.85 with sig confirmation, but I didn't add extra insurance - I think they go by zones. I'm in PA so it only went to NY. It shipped Friday, they got it Monday, although it's not guaranteed. If you're in CA I'm sure it's more but $40 sounds high. I sold a lens recently to someone in HI and I don't think it was that high.
Thats too bad they didn't have the FW when you had your other repair done. I'll update here once I get my lens back and test it out.

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:20 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

USPS insurance is incredibly expensive compared to other shippers. It is at least 3x as much as FedEX insurance. I think USPS insurance comes to 5% of the shipped value, or something like that? I suppose it also depends on distance?

USPS insurance is actually fairly cheap if you ship "Next Day/Overnight." I suppose they don't lose as many of those packages?

So - you get to pay through the nose for insurance, because of their relative incompetence.

+++

I have gone to "self insuring" for most items anyway. Instead of buying insurance, I decided that I will pay any for loss or damage out of the money that I save on insurance. At a 5% rate for insurance, you would be at "break even" if they lost or damaged 1 package out of 20.

That is if they agree to pay for the claim! I have filed 3 claims, all for over $2,000, and never received a dime because of bureaucratic incompetency and illogical "excuses."

The losses were:

1x with USPS, 1x with Airborne, 1x with FedEx.

++++

No offense against Tamron, but it seems like this illustrates the relative advantage of the Sigma Dock, and being able to update and micro adjust the lens yourself. I wish Canon had a similar capability for their tele zooms.

Jun 03, 2015 at 01:29 PM
Kevin Giannini

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 150-600mm Service Notice

I'll be curious to see what kind of "fix" this is to the VC. Will the VC merely shut off if it detects panning, or will it enter another mode of VC? Tamron's site seems to imply the latter, which I hope is the case.
Yes, the Sigma dock sounds great, but unfortunately this didn't exist when I and many others got the Tamron. In any case, I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the Tamron. Output/sharpness alone I've seen no significant difference between it and the Sigma C.

Jun 03, 2015 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.