Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I have a pair of Lexar 16gb which I use in my 5d3 and seldom get to the second card on a trip. I do shoot in burst mode but only to bracket landscapes so speed is not an issue. By the way, the SD is my primary only because I have more SD slots for uploading.

I am thinking some mid grade 32GB Lexars.

May 28, 2015 at 06:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I'm not buying the 5Ds for now, but the piles of Lexar 64GB and 128GB 1066x cards I have used for the 1Dx and 5D III should be fine. 32GB is rather small and not very economical. The 800x(400x) cards will be rather slow on the buffer clearance.

EBH

May 28, 2015 at 07:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I remember in some review/preview the reviewer mentioned needing fast cards for this camera as it is pushing a lot of data even if not at high frame rate. However, if you are simply shooting single composed landscape shots then I don't think it will really matter.

Personally I shoot with 1000x 32GB Lexars and some 1000x 32GB Transcend cards in 1DX and 7D2 and 5D3. I still like the 32GB size as it holds about 1200 shots on 7D2 and that is as much as I need in one outing (well most times). I haven't found any need to go to 64GB for my type of wildlife shooting.

May 28, 2015 at 07:33 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

Here you go Ben, Delkin is on sale.. 20% off

http://www.adorama.com/results/delkinmemorialday15specials?emailprice=t&utm_source=rsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email052215MemorialDay24Hr

http://www.adorama.com/ICDDDCFK532.html?EmailPrice=T

May 28, 2015 at 08:10 PM
mpalmer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I’m planning to use multiple Lexar 128GB 1066X as the shooting cards. The SD cards will only be used for backups at the end of the day/shoot. The idea is to use the SD cards and a WD My Passport wireless drive (it makes a backup of the SD cards via the built in slot without the need of a PC) as the two backups I always do in the field. The SD cards are the Lexar 128GB Pro 1000x (They download pretty fast on the Lexar SR2 since it is UHS-II compliant when I get back home). I might give the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB a shot in the future as the shooting card.

As far as I know the 5Ds/R is only UHS-I compliant.

Mike

May 28, 2015 at 08:45 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I picked up a couple of Lexar 128GB 1066X CF cards during the big sale at B&H. Now I need a the 5Ds.

May 28, 2015 at 09:00 PM
albedo_jdb

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I have been using SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/s 16 GB CF cards with my 1D4. Each holds about 650 raw files, and does OK with the buffer. For the 5DSR (pre-ordered from Adorama), I wanted something faster to (hopefully) clear the buffer as fast as possible, so I got 4 Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB CF cards. I calculated the average size of all the 5DS/R raw files that I have been able to find, and estimated that each 64 GB card should be able to hold about 1000 raw images. Since I typically shoot about 4000 shots per day at an airshow, I am hoping that my math is correct, and that these 4 are enough.

Just for grins, I tried the Lexar cards in my 1D4, and even though it may not be optimized for these newer CF cards, I could not believe the increase in write speed. It is now almost impossible to fill the buffer with these guys. I am hoping this will maximize the throughput of the huge 5DSR files.

Jim

May 28, 2015 at 09:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

mpalmer wrote:
I’m planning to use multiple Lexar 128GB 1066X as the shooting cards. The SD cards will only be used for backups at the end of the day/shoot. The idea is to use the SD cards and a WD My Passport wireless drive (it makes a backup of the SD cards via the built in slot without the need of a PC) as the two backups I always do in the field. The SD cards are the Lexar 128GB Pro 1000x (They download pretty fast on the Lexar SR2 since it is UHS-II compliant when I get back home). I might
...Show more

Yeah, it's like the 5D III was in always being behind the times on the SD slot standards.

EBH

May 28, 2015 at 09:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

IndyFab wrote:
Here you go Ben, Delkin is on sale.. 20% off

http://www.adorama.com/results/delkinmemorialday15specials?emailprice=t&utm_source=rsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email052215MemorialDay24Hr

http://www.adorama.com/ICDDDCFK532.html?EmailPrice=T

Thanks, but after getting burned on cards (lost images), I am strictly a Lexar guy, never lost a single image since 2004, when I made the switch. I never tried Delkin, but I am pretty loyal to Lexar.

Edit.

Now I am dummy, I mean San Disk, Lexars are what failed. I buy them so infrequently I forgot.

Edited on May 28, 2015 at 09:20 PM · View previous versions

May 28, 2015 at 09:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

albedo_jdb wrote:
I have been using SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/s 16 GB CF cards with my 1D4. Each holds about 650 raw files, and does OK with the buffer. For the 5DSR (pre-ordered from Adorama), I wanted something faster to (hopefully) clear the buffer as fast as possible, so I got 4 Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB CF cards. I calculated the average size of all the 5DS/R raw files that I have been able to find, and estimated that each 64 GB card should be able to hold about 1000 raw images. Since I typically shoot about 4000 shots per day at
...Show more

I am glad you reminded me, I always get San Disk, and never Lexars. I would have checked before buying.

1000 images per trip would be a lot for me, so (2) 32GB cards should be enough. And I will have my 16GB for back up. But maybe I will spring for 64GB. I could trade speed for capacity.

May 28, 2015 at 09:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

mpalmer wrote:
I’m planning to use multiple Lexar 128GB 1066X as the shooting cards. The SD cards will only be used for backups at the end of the day/shoot. The idea is to use the SD cards and a WD My Passport wireless drive (it makes a backup of the SD cards via the built in slot without the need of a PC) as the two backups I always do in the field. The SD cards are the Lexar 128GB Pro 1000x (They download pretty fast on the Lexar SR2 since it is UHS-II compliant when I get back home). I might
...Show more

Thats a good idea about using a Passport for backup. I have one around here someplace, need to find it and give it a try. I usually just back up to my laptop when in the field.

May 28, 2015 at 09:19 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

What about these?

Komputerbay 64GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 600X UHS-I Ultra High Speed Flash Memory Card 40MB/s Write 90MB/s read.

That's what I use in my canon eos-m and they are $20 each on amazon.

May 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Jeffrey Behr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I believe that the card-speed tests with the 7D2 will be a reliable indicator of relative speeds in the 5DSn cameras, as these two share the Digic-6-dual processors.
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-7d-mark-ii/fastest-sd-cf-card-comparison/#WriteSpeedResults

I've tested a few of these in my former 5D3; the write speeds of the fastest cards were within about 5%, fastest to slowest, which I believe is attributable to the limited system speed of the 5D3. The fast bargain in this bunch is the Kingston ultimate 600X; I bought 2. I also bought a pair of SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s 32GBs which were on sale the other day. I believe one can get about 400 5DSn RAW images on a 32GB card; I'll have 7 cards, which should hold me for a few days. :-)

FWIW, I bought a fastest SanDisk 128GB SD card for BU in my 5DSR; it ought to hold over a thousand JPGs.

Edited on May 29, 2015 at 08:37 AM · View previous versions

May 29, 2015 at 01:51 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
I believe that the card-speed tests with the 7D2 will be a reliable indicator of relative speeds in the 5DSn cameras, as these two share the Digic-6-dual processors.
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-7d-mark-ii/fastest-sd-cf-card-comparison/#WriteSpeedResults

Thanks for that link, the results are very interesting.
The fastest SDXC UHS cards are faster than many CF cards with higher speed ratings.

The results are probably not transferrable to other card sizes though, but SDXC UHS compares more favorably to CF UDMA 6 than I expected.

May 29, 2015 at 02:25 AM
jrasmussen
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I just bought 2 256 GB CF 1066x Extreme SanDisk cards and 2 256 GB SDXC Extreme SanDisk cards for my 5DsR. I also have some 128GB and 64 GB cards that I have been using in my 5D III. Just waiting on getting the 5DsR now.

May 29, 2015 at 08:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I opened up a can of worms. Looking over the cards that are available at B&H, I see too many options about which I know little. The biggest one is the SDXC versus SDHC. Are they interchangeable? Or do you need a different slot or electronics in the camera to use them?

Class 10
UDMA 7
Speed class 3.

Do they have any uniform classifications?

I guess I could just go by the read/write speeds.

I clear (delete all photos) from my card after every trip. I upload via a reader, which I may replace with a later model. I can't remember a time when I ran out of space while on a trip with a pair of 16GB cards, and only one or two times did it ever get to the second card. I still think 32GB is plenty.

May 29, 2015 at 08:56 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I will stick with my Compact Flash Lexar Professional 1066x 32 GB and probably buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s 64 GB too.

Beyond that it might be a better option to buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 95MB/s 64GB and then just copy the images from the CF to SD, when the CF card is full.

May 29, 2015 at 09:22 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, but after getting burned on cards (lost images), I am strictly a Lexar guy, never lost a single image since 2004, when I made the switch. I never tried Delkin, but I am pretty loyal to Lexar.

Edit.

Now I am dummy, I mean San Disk, Lexars are what failed. I buy them so infrequently I forgot.

FYI.... Delkins are cards of choice of top pro shooters.

However, I certainly can respect your view, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

May 29, 2015 at 09:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

IndyFab wrote:
FYI.... Delkins are cards of choice of top pro shooters.

However, I certainly can respect your view, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I'm glad not to be a photographer and have to use the Delkins.

EBH

May 29, 2015 at 09:36 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What cards you buying for your 5DS?

I've used the Transcend cards for years without any issues. I use them for both the 5D3 and the Pentax 645z. They're also a good value.

May 29, 2015 at 09:46 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.