3              10       11       end

Archive 2015 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

Frogfish wrote:
Some random comments on points made in the above :

3. The F-Stop bag access is nothing special at all. You have to deposit your pack on the ground, on it's back (or some will say front - depending on your viewpoint) and unzip it to access the ICU - and then open that. Many hiking backpacks give equivalent or superior access. If I was looking at a day bag that overcame those obstacles then the Mindshift Rotation that TM mentions above would seem to be the perfect bag for many, though I have never got my hands on one in
...Show more

For me the access is special. Setting the bag on the front is exactly what you want. Keeps the dirt and water off my back when I put it back on. Also allows me to access only my gear vs only clothes etc at top opening. Plus you really only need to open one pocket. The ICU can be left permanently open. If this is available in other bags then I totally agree that it isn't revolutionary. I thought the mind shift looked very gimmicky. What happens when you need another lens? Your Lee Filter/Holder/Adapter? Your tripod? In my opinion if you are hiking...you are taking landscapes, nature macros, nature animals etc. General good photography practice would be to set you gear down, set up a tripod and really think about and compose your shot.

I think I agree on the ICU's a little. But not in that it's not going to move. I often don't fill my bag all the way. And when I do, sometimes I take a sweatshirt out to put it on etc. But I do agree that a cheap brand could work well. I could probably super glue on some velcro straps to achieve the same thing.

And that's exactly my point about drab green! It's the one I would get. I'm wondering if they purposefully chose that wording to attempt to make less people choose it because they have trouble stocking that color or something. Mind games

May 30, 2015 at 07:14 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
so in the end he is dealing with alibaba like i said way in the beginning.

the management that in the end will always get their cut.

Sure. Certainly won't argue.
I think it is like Sams Club vs. Walmart analogy? Do you need 3 pounds of ketchup or just a small bottle?
But yes, regardless of the vehicle it flows up to the same corporate entity.

On topic, I do love my Loka but find the GuraGear bags much nicer for access and carry-on unless I'll be day hiking. The Loka has just enough support to keep me hiking without shoulder aches.

David

May 30, 2015 at 07:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

well i see it from the parent point of view. you know the puppeteer.

i like my Loka too but have ordered the Ajna to really give it the once over

May 30, 2015 at 07:52 AM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
well i see it from the parent point of view. you know the puppeteer.

i like my Loka too but have ordered the Ajna to really give it the once over

When you don't like the Ajna, let me know. Maybe I'll buy it from you on the Buy and Sell. I'm curious to try out too.

May 30, 2015 at 07:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

supposedly sometime in july

May 30, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

dgdg wrote:
Wholesale, to me, suggests one has to buy multiple copies of the same item with the intention of resale. I think Kevin is suggesting he does not want to buy multiple copies of a product (wholesale). Whereas Taobao would be a consumer targeted site selling as few as one item.

David

Bingo !

Alibabi, regardless or whether or not they also own Taobao, is for manufacturers selling wholesale (mainly to overseas buyers). Taobao is for retailers / private sellers selling used etc. etc. akin to Ebay and 99.9% domestically. The Chevy / Camero comparison is not accurate because they are identical in what and how they sell their products. Maybe GM/Delphi, prior the split, would be a closer analogy.

May 30, 2015 at 09:38 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

structure: you can say what you want it is the top of the food chain holding corp.

May 30, 2015 at 10:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

Frogfish wrote:
Bingo !

Alibabi, regardless or whether or not they also own Taobao, is for manufacturers selling wholesale (mainly to overseas buyers). Taobao is for retailers / private sellers selling used etc. etc. akin to Ebay and 99.9% domestically. The Chevy / Camero comparison is not accurate because they are identical in what and how they sell their products. Maybe GM/Delphi, prior the split, would be a closer analogy.

General Motors Corporation
Chevrolet manufacturing division
Chevrolet independent dealership
Camaro end product

May 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
structure: you can say what you want it is the top of the food chain holding corp.

And ? I said I didn't buy it from Alibaba - I didn't. I said I bought it from Taobao - I did. And I was the one who told you that Taobao was owned by Alibaba

However I do find it rather strange that you are more interested in pointlessly researching and debating the structure of Chinese companies that I happen to have bought my ICUs from ... than F-stop bags' strengths and weaknesses, which is what this thread is actually about !

May 30, 2015 at 02:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

you're right. in the long run i see little issue with the FStop bags. now you could reference where on Taobao you acquired your inserts.

May 30, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
you're right. in the long run i see little issue with the FStop bags. now you could reference where on Taobao you acquired your inserts.

Do what I did. Try different English words in the search box until you find something that comes close .... then copy / paste the Chinese into the search box and if only the same item comes up just delete a Chinese character from the front or rear of the string until you are getting a wider selection.

May 30, 2015 at 03:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

i was under the impression that you had a specific site. my error. shouldn't be too hard. i have my choice of mandarin, cantonese speakers in the household. we'll muddle through. thank you.

May 30, 2015 at 03:24 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
i was under the impression that you had a specific site. my error. shouldn't be too hard. i have my choice of mandarin, cantonese speakers in the household. we'll muddle through. thank you.

You will need a Chinese speaker (and maybe a mainland credit card - not sure to be honest as I've never purchased from overseas) to actually buy something, however there are also a number of companies on Taobao that provide a service exporting Taobao products for English speakers - though naturally the prices are jacked up ! You need to go to the English version of Taobao for that (far far far fewer items on that site though).
The savings may be worth your while if you are buying enough stuff - a bit like when I buy from the USA, where I have everything sent to a consolidator who re-package and send everything on to me.

So many products / sellers - I never keep track of where I buy the low-priced stuff from. You typically get over a 100 pages of mixed products for almost any item you are looking for. But the system I described above works great for me (I can read but not write Chinese) and then I get my wife to do the ordering !

May 30, 2015 at 03:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

do they deliver to hotels? if not i have a few friends living there too.

the english version has far far fewer as you said.

May 30, 2015 at 04:02 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

sjms wrote:
do they deliver to hotels? if not i have a few friends living there too.

the english version has far far fewer as you said.

I would be surprised if they would do - mainly due to the escrow system. Best send everything to friends !

May 30, 2015 at 11:28 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

Did you see the crazy stupid prices of the new super telephoto ICU and the Cinema ICU. What a load of rip-off. I only own the Guru and use it a lot but their pricing is ridiculous.

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

i don't complain about pricing. price is relative.

if one can own 3, 4, 5 for more bodies and a plethora of optics one can occasionally "splurge" on some of the lesser things in life that one finds useful. rip off is relative too if it does the job and is a needed part that is an investment

Phase One

Jun 04, 2015 at 10:32 AM
KaBudokan
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

I really like my 2 f-stop bags (Loka and Kenti), but would consider a different option for a larger pack for backpacking purposes. Any other suggestions for something less expensive around the same size as the Sukha (Satori) that provides rear access?

I may buck up and get the Sukha anyway - just wondering about other possibilities.

Jun 04, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

KaBudokan wrote:
I really like my 2 f-stop bags (Loka and Kenti), but would consider a different option for a larger pack for backpacking purposes. Any other suggestions for something less expensive around the same size as the Sukha (Satori) that provides rear access?

I may buck up and get the Sukha anyway - just wondering about other possibilities.

The Satori at 62L is a big bag in terms of capacity.

If you want the most substantial suspension systems then consider the Osprey Atmos 50L or they have a larger size too (fantastic packs but I don't like the shape of the interior, the back suspension creates a curve inside) for carrying ICUs. The Gregory Baltoro range goes down to a 65 or 70L I think (nice interior - no curve). Both of those pack series have a C or side access zip (depending on the size of the pack).

Most of the packs I've been looking at recently (I bought two, a Gregory Baltoro 85L and Boreas Lost Coast 45L) fall either side of your desired pack size but I can assure you there are plenty of backpacks with excellent panel access either via a full U zip in the back (Mammut Creon or Gregory Baltoro series for example), Osprey Manta & Granite Gear's Cayenne & Salomon Sky all have a C panel zip and Lowe-Alpine's Airzone and some others have full access via side zips.

The Boreas I bought doesn't have any side or panel access 9I don't think any of their range does) however there is ample space in both the top pocket and huge stretchy front (or back depending on how you look at it !) pocket, both take my D800E and Tamron 15-30 snugly & securely.

Generally Osprey, Gregory and Arcteryx (more expensive but top quality and comfort) have the most comprehensive suspension systems but those of the other brands listed are also superior to any camera pack. Plenty of other great backpack manufacturers too. Best to check out the hiking sites for reviews and comments.

Jun 05, 2015 at 02:20 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 4 New larger bags from F-Stop Gear

drewmey wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised to hear so much negative feedback on the F-Stop bags. I got the Loka several months ago and have absolutely loved it.

Weird thread; most of the vocal detractors seem *not* to be users of the product, which leads me to believe that there is an agenda. Without having used a given product, how do you know whether or not it's 'worth the price'? Reading specs alone can't give you the insight that using the product will. I'm certainly not a fan of F-Stop's supply chain problems nor their pricing, but there is a reason they practically sell out of everything they make, as soon as it's on hand. Their Customer Service is about as good as it gets, at least given the fact that they are hamstrung by supply problems.

I'm an outdoor pack/gear guy, and I'm a camera bag guy who was always looking for the perfect system for carrying camera gear; F-Stop solved my problems. Are there idiosyncrasies with their products? Of course, as in life. There used to be few back panel-access bags of any sort on the market (now there are more than several), and now there are apparently Chinese-knockoff ICUs.

If you're interested in an F-Stop product, ignore us all and just give one a try. If it doesn't suit you, you can sell it with minimal loss.

Regards,

Jeff
(Guru & Tilopa BC)

PS: My Ajna bag will (finally!) be here Monday, will report back if any are interested.

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.