New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Hi, I have been using Canon DSLRs ever since the 10D came out. Have owned/used professionally the 10D, 1D2, 1DS3, 5D2 and the 5D3. Of those I would say the 5D2 had the worst sensor dust problem. I could never really get one completely clean. The 5D3 is by far the best. I rarely have to do any dust busting when processing files. It has been a huge time saver for me.

It is obvious that Canon worked on the sensor dust problem and basically solved it in the 5D3 design. I know this might not seem that big of a deal to a lot of you here, dynamic range and high iso performance get most of the attention in forums, but man, I shoot of LOT of Architecture interiors with the 14mm lens at f8-f11 and the lack of sensor dust has really changed my workflow.

I was wondering how the Nikon D800/E/810 are in terms of sensor dust?

How about other cameras like the Oly Om-D's, the Fuji X series and the Sony A7's?

...and of course I am very interested how the new 5DS/R perform in that regard.

May 28, 2015 at 11:37 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Sneakyracer wrote:
Hi, I have been using Canon DSLRs ever since the 10D came out. Have owned/used professionally the 10D, 1D2, 1DS3, 5D2 and the 5D3. Of those I would say the 5D2 had the worst sensor dust problem. I could never really get one completely clean. The 5D3 is by far the best. I rarely have to do any dust busting when processing files. It has been a huge time saver for me.

It is obvious that Canon worked on the sensor dust problem and basically solved it in the 5D3 design. I know this might not seem that big of
...Show more

I've owned all of those cameras (except the 5DS/R, of course...) and they are all pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the Nikon cameras usually require a thorough wet cleaning right out of the box.

May 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

My worst is the 1Ds3, not sure the dust removal system on that actually does anything.

Never had too many issues with the 5D2 and the newer cameras seem either less prone or better dealt with

Much of the problem depends on what you shoot. Ceilings and skies at small apertures show up every blemish, busy scenes and wider apertures cover a multitude of muck

May 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

I agree my 1ds3 was pretty dirty all the time. I sent it in for cleaning yearly. My 5d3 is very clean, I have 2-3 spots if I stay at f8 and they move around or go away. The 1ds3 spots were more or less permanent and probably grease rather than dust.

On my 10d,20d and 5d cameras, I wet cleaned them never getting all the spots off or more likely all the streaks from cleaning removed. But you could apply pressure to the pre dust models. The anti dust versions have a space between the top filter and the sensor and it is fairly easy to break the top filter.

May 28, 2015 at 01:18 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

For me pretty much every body except the 5D3 required a lot of cleaning.

May 28, 2015 at 02:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

The 5D3 is the cleanest sensor I've ever used. I'm guessing that we're reaping the benefit of a real world improvement for the video market where retouching dust spots is not nearly as painless as it is in stills.

May 28, 2015 at 02:48 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

I have the 5D2 and 1Ds3 - previously 40D and 5D .
They all get dust if you are not careful when changing lenses ( and even then...), and one should always dust off the lens rear before mounting, and mirror chamber once in a while (a good brush for the lens rear, and blower for the chamber btw). Prevention does far better job than a self-cleaning gizmo. Maybe the 5D3 is indeed better, but from dust we come to dust we'll go - in between we have to live with it too

May 28, 2015 at 05:50 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Peter Figen wrote:
The 5D3 is the cleanest sensor I've ever used. I'm guessing that we're reaping the benefit of a real world improvement for the video market where retouching dust spots is not nearly as painless as it is in stills.

Yeah. I did not think about that but Canon definitely engineered the 5D3 sensor to be quite immune to dust. It stays quite clean for years. I suspect it is not only the effectiveness of the sensor shake but also the sensor cover glass / coating material as well.

May 28, 2015 at 05:56 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

My 5d3 was way better than 5d2

My 5d3 is way better than my A7r.

Although I have not used them together, I think the 5d2 was better than the a7r.

I am hoping that the 5dsr is as good as the 5d3.

May 28, 2015 at 05:58 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Scott Stoness wrote:
My 5d3 was way better than 5d2

My 5d3 is way better than my A7r.

Although I have not used them together, I think the 5d2 was better than the a7r.

I am hoping that the 5dsr is as good as the 5d3.

I don't see any difference in dust on sensor issues between my regular 5D MkII and the A7R. If lenses are changed about the same times, both need dry cleaning at some point (I am using the Arctic Butterfly pen). I can only tell from my IR-converted 5D MkII body with removed ultrasonic cleaner that dust collects on its sensor glass much more easily.

It depends more how and how often lenses are changed on any digital body and the wind/pollen/dust conditions at the time than it has to do with the camera body itself.

May 29, 2015 at 09:05 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

retrofocus wrote:
It depends more how and how often lenses are changed on any digital body and the wind/pollen/dust conditions at the time than it has to do with the camera body itself.

Yep, Spring pollen is where I notice it the most. Of the bodies I've had; 10D, 1D2, 1D4, 1DX, all get affected if I'm doing a lot of work in the Spring.

I just cleaned my 1DX/7D2. It's been dry in the Northeast lately and a couple of dressage events made for very dusty rings when even a small breeze went through.

May 29, 2015 at 09:27 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

The original 1D was kinda dust prone, but I never had a problem with the 1D II. I had to clean a 5D II sensor twice, but I only needed to do a bulb blow cleaning on the 5D III. I buy two identical cameras each time I upgrade, so I have twice the chance of getting goobers on the sensor.

I think one big benefit of Canon's marvelous zooms is that you rarely need to change lenses, so dust just doesn't have a chance to get on the sensor.

May 29, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

I have a feeling the cleaning on my 40D and 1D IV is just making noises. It simply isn't working. I have about 40 or 50 dust bunnies that I need to clean up on every landscape photo I choose to process.

May 29, 2015 at 09:56 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

I just cleaned my own sensor the first time, including wet method, and it worked out ok.
I feel like I just opened a new door for myself!

David

May 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

My "worst" wasn't listed: the original 5D. But I learned with that body to always switch off power before removing or mounting any lenses, and that kept my sensor much better.

I don't have nearly the problem with my 5D2, and my 1Ds3 only needs occasional rocket blower.

In my experience with the D800e, I find it is possibly as bad a dust magnet as the original 5D. The 5D2, 1D3, and 1Ds3 are definitely better than the D800e.

May 29, 2015 at 03:33 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

Gunzorro wrote:
My "worst" wasn't listed: the original 5D. But I learned with that body to always switch off power before removing or mounting any lenses, and that kept my sensor much better.

The 5D is pretty bad with dust. My lenses are permanently mated to my 5Ds and they still require an occasional cleaning.

May 29, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sensor Dust: Canon vs. Others

hotdog12 wrote:
The original 1D was kinda dust prone, but I never had a problem with the 1D II. I had to clean a 5D II sensor twice, but I only needed to do a bulb blow cleaning on the 5D III. I buy two identical cameras each time I upgrade, so I have twice the chance of getting goobers on the sensor.

I think one big benefit of Canon's marvelous zooms is that you rarely need to change lenses, so dust just doesn't have a chance to get on the sensor.

I don't think it matters whether you change the lens or not. My 100-400 zoom pushes a lot of air around, it doesn't have an intake dust filter, and air is pumped into the camera every time the zoom is operated.

May 29, 2015 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.