FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 2nd attempt

JGmaynard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd attempt

I went out today for round 2 and and managed to get 5 keepers. I think I've improved on my last attempt although the subject matter is different.

Was out for 7 hours with the highlight of the day being a swan terrorizing 6 geese. Chased them all out of the pond. I managed to get so shots but they weren't that good. There was too much reflection on the water, so I left it out of this set. There's always next time and the time after that and the time after that

I think my editing is ok in this set, although I'm not sure if i'm cropping that well.

As always comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd attempt

Fine job getting these captures. Cropping and composition is always a matter of personal preferences. However there are some guidelines based on visual experience and studies that may help you on your final choices.
Try not to clip wings or parts of the subjects body. In the first image the very tip of the wing is clipped and that could turn the viewer away from your image.
In the second image the subject is too far right leaving too much space behind the subject (rather than in the direction the subject is looking into), plus to my eyes the dead limb on the left is distracting and to me is not adding anything to the image. One of the guidelines I always try to follow in my compositions is:"Make it simple". A vertical crop in the second shot would get rid of the distraction and make the subject more prominent, especially with your smooth bg.
In the third shot the subject is too centered which gives the viewer a sense of staticity rather than dynamism. Leaving more space in the direction of the eyes gives a more dynamic feel. The space behind the subject is usually "wasted". Again a vertical crop may fit better the shape of the subject.
In the fourth image the left frame is too close to the tail. A bit more space on the left could improve the composition.
Overall you did very good editing these images and you are definitely on the right path to improve your work and define your own style.
Here is an example for you to consider when you make your own personal decisions.
Socrate

May 27, 2015 at 04:52 PM
JGmaynard
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd attempt

Thanks Socrate, your comments were extremely helpful. I was thinking too much about the rule of thirds but the dead space was bothering me, so thanks for your help with that. I'm at the early stage, where I just get excited when I see a bird stay in the same spot for more than 5 seconds lol.

Thanks again!

May 27, 2015 at 07:10 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd attempt

I think these do show improvement Justin. Socrate gave you some great ideas to consider. As far as the "rule of thirds" is considered, just think of it as the "suggestion of thirds". It's not written in stone ~ Ron

May 28, 2015 at 08:19 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd attempt

Very nicely done.

Birdie

May 28, 2015 at 10:27 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd attempt

Shasoc wrote:
Fine job getting these captures. Cropping and composition is always a matter of personal preferences. However there are some guidelines based on visual experience and studies that may help you on your final choices.
Try not to clip wings or parts of the subjects body. In the first image the very tip of the wing is clipped and that could turn the viewer away from your image.
In the second image the subject is too far right leaving too much space behind the subject (rather than in the direction the subject is looking into), plus to my eyes the dead limb on
...Show more

+1, good choice on crop.

May 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM
JGmaynard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd attempt

"Suggestion of thirds" I like that

Thanks guys!

May 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd attempt

Nice job on these. I agree with Socrate regarding the composition. Keep at it and enjoying

Morris

May 28, 2015 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.