FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

We headed to the Hargrov Shoals of the Cahaba River in a cold early morning in order to shoot the beautiful water lilies under misty environment. Yes, we were lucky to have fogs above water although the sky was cloudless. We were happy to have the Shoals to ourselves and enjoyed the very moment of foggy and solitude scene. We had photographed for about two hours and this was one of the many compositions we had from this trip.

For your interest, below is the information about the Cahaba River waterlilies: From early May to late June, the shoals of the Cahaba River are transformed into a showcase of floral delight as the rare Cahaba Lily blooms. Found only in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina; the Cahaba Lily requires swift current and direct sunlight to flourish. The plant grows to about 3' tall and develops from a bulb that lodges in between rocks in the shoals. It flowers from roughly between Mother's Day and Father's Day. Each delicate, lightly fragranced flower blooms for one day.

Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

May 27, 2015 at 02:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

What cool looking lilies! That's amazing that they only bloom for one day. Overall I like your shot here, the mist certainly adds to the shot. I think I would correct the WA distortion on the horizon though.

That must have been one amazing day to shoot.

Jim

May 27, 2015 at 08:56 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

Agree with JimFox's comments--very nicely done!

May 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

Beautiful image and a very different and interesting composition.

Chuck

May 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

JimFox wrote:
What cool looking lilies! That's amazing that they only bloom for one day. Overall I like your shot here, the mist certainly adds to the shot. I think I would correct the WA distortion on the horizon though.

That must have been one amazing day to shoot.

Jim

Thanks Jim for your kind comments.

I am not sure if the curved horizon in the background is caused by WA distortion. The two different row of trees (one lit by morning sun and one other in shade) sit on the two banks of the stream river. The river makes a bend in the far background which makes the trees look converged there and, in turn, makes the horizon looks not straight.

May 29, 2015 at 09:03 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

Ipanematom wrote:
Agree with JimFox's comments--very nicely done!

Thanks Ipanematom.

Chuck Eklund wrote:
Beautiful image and a very different and interesting composition.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

May 29, 2015 at 09:04 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

Very nice shot! I know the area and I'm curious if you had a canoe or carefully navigated on foot ? I know with the moving water and slippery rocks it can be tricky.

May 29, 2015 at 06:17 PM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

Spectacular flowers. Congrats on catching such a unique moment. As far as processing I feel that you have too much of blown out or too bright highlights. I also feel that you have a little too much softness/glow in the foreground. I'm wondering how would it look like with slightly wider comp. Nice photo and unique moment anyway.

May 29, 2015 at 11:09 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

RobCD wrote:
Very nice shot! I know the area and I'm curious if you had a canoe or carefully navigated on foot ? I know with the moving water and slippery rocks it can be tricky.

Thanks Rob for your kind comments.

The shoals was actually shallow and we navigated on foot. The rocks were not that slippery contrary to what most people thought.

May 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

ArturS wrote:
Spectacular flowers. Congrats on catching such a unique moment. As far as processing I feel that you have too much of blown out or too bright highlights. I also feel that you have a little too much softness/glow in the foreground. I'm wondering how would it look like with slightly wider comp. Nice photo and unique moment anyway.

Thanks Artur for your kind comments. You are right that I did apply some highlight glow in the flowers for some creamy effects which makes you felt a little too bright

May 30, 2015 at 11:47 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

I like the composition and appreciate your creativity. The photo really makes me want to be there to see the flowers! Even though there appears to be a weird glow to some of the flowers I still like the image. TFS

-Tree

May 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

LSExplorer wrote:
Thanks Rob for your kind comments.

The shoals was actually shallow and we navigated on foot. The rocks were not that slippery contrary to what most people thought.

You're right it is shallow but you make it sound easy . I've done it a couple of times and I'm fairly sure I'd have been on my backside more than once if I didn't have my tripod and/or a pole for balance. The current can be deceptive in certain spots.

May 31, 2015 at 05:22 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foggy and Creamy Cahaba Water Lilies

I'd never heard of these. Wow, what amazing flowers! Love the light here, with the fog and the hint of direct sunlight in the background. The only issues I see is that the foreground looks a bit orton'ed to me, and I'd like to see it a bit more clearly personally. If that's actually just from the fog ... disregard my comment! I'd also like the wide angle distortion corrected if you have any space in the frame to do so. If not, it doesn't detract too much.

Jun 01, 2015 at 08:08 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.