FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Seal Beach Sunset

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seal Beach Sunset

Went to the Seal Beach Pier hoping for a colorful sunset, but never got what I was looking for due to a cloud mass that blew in. Still, this is the first time out with the 17 TSE so it was a learning experience. This is a three shot shifted pano with a slight tilt for focus depth. I'll have to get down to the sand next time to really see how the tilt affects focus....

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Seal Beach Sunset

May 27, 2015 at 01:00 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seal Beach Sunset

Very nice.. calm and explosion at the same time.
Yes.. I need to learn how to use tilt and shift.

May 27, 2015 at 06:20 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seal Beach Sunset

Not seeing this as a scene where a tilt-shift lens offers any benefit over a conventional lens. I kind of see it as a detriment to be honest. You really needed a filter for that sky and I'm guessing that, although I don't shoot Canon, they aren't that readily available for the 17 TS-E. Eliminating the lens from the equation, I'd have concentrated more on the composition, looking for a good foreground and midground, something leading into the nice clouds that directs the viewers eye.

May 27, 2015 at 08:35 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seal Beach Sunset

Thanks Craig. I shot this from a pier, so there was no foreground or mid ground to be had .

May 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seal Beach Sunset

gregfountain wrote:
Thanks Craig. I shot this from a pier, so there was no foreground or mid ground to be had .

Hey Greg,

But that's Craig's point exactly, and that's why there was no reason to even use a TSE lens here. Where the increased DOF from a TSE will help you is when there are close up objects and then mid to background objects that you would also want in focus. A shot like this, just shoot it at 14mm at f13 and crop it to pano if you want to. There really isn't much going on in it anyway and as I look at it I find it lacking any visual point of interest.

TSE's as I am sure you know are specialty lenses for a special purpose and intent. They aren't a magical lens that simply creates a master piece because it was shot with a TSE. I know you don't think that, but unfortunately both here in the Landscape forum and the Nikon forum there are many that seem to think it. Shooting with a TSE lens, won't magically make a boring shot great, neither will it turn a photographer into a master photographer.

I suggest that if you want to practice using your TSE, get out to Joshua Tree, or get to a beach with a bunch of rocks and such that you can really get some use out of that lens.

Jim

May 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seal Beach Sunset

"I'll have to get down to the sand next time to really see how the tilt affects focus...."

Thanks Jim, I get the points about the tilt function needing foreground to be effective. The advantage of the TS lens isn't always about tilt, but in the fact that the shift allows a wider angle of view without the parallax of a rotational pano. I have a nodal set up, for my other lenses, but the 17 seems more than wide enough when shifted and stitched together and almost triples my resolution, giving me more material to play with in cropping. This shot is merely a first time out with conditions that weren't what I was hoping for when I left the house. BTW, I bought the lens to shoot real estate interiors and architectual work, so using it for landscapes is a bonus! And yes, I plan on getting out to Jushua Tree in the next month or so....just waiting to get a shell on my truck....

As for the comments about it being a magical lens hoping it will make me a masterful photographer...well, .

May 27, 2015 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.