Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

The 1Ds2 shuns higher ISOs in favor of the lower numbers. Besides, using low ISO is easy on the sensor ...

This shot is from a1Ds2(PetKal) with the aged Canon 300 f/4L IS @ a middle of the road f/11, (got to treat the lens right too), and a shutter saving speed of 1/160.

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-5Ts53Kz/0/X2/i-5Ts53Kz-X2.jpg

Manual exposure mode and the center focal point were chosen so the camera wouldn't have to worry itself with too many decisions. Over the long run, I think these choices will increase the longevity and functional life of the 1Ds2 ...

... More helpful tips coming soon ...

Jefferson ... http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JTCh7ZJ/0/Th/i-JTCh7ZJ-Th.jpg

May 26, 2015 at 03:47 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Jefferson!

Now we're talking!

May 26, 2015 at 07:25 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Don't worry about that camera having to make too many decisions if you use more than one AF sensor - it has a separate CPU for determining which focus sensors are in focus, and it just tells the main CPU which ones can be used. That way the main CPU can concentrate on the exposure and other stuff. In effect, it doesn't matter what you do in terms of AF as far as effective focus speed is concerned. You can't even shoot fast enough (unlike the sister camera 1D2 with its 8.5 frames per second) for the shutter blackout to restrict the time available for focus tracking between shots.

Unless you are pretty good with tracking your intended target, you may be better off enabling some AF expansion to improve focus tracking capability.

That is, if the AF system is working correctly.

Also, in general, it is far easier to fix sensor noise caused by higher ISO than it is to fix motion blur caused by trying to keep the ISO too low. So choose wisely.

A healthy 1Ds2 can make some lovely looking images, especially at low ISO. It is widely regarded as
being one of the better camera models of its day.

- Alan

May 28, 2015 at 03:31 PM
scott_scheetz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

I love the 1DSII. Still use it all the time. You just can't beat the simplicity of it with out all the bells and whistles in the new cameras.

May 28, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

It's a great camera. I don't imagine I will ever sell mine.

May 29, 2015 at 12:22 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
It's a great camera. I don't imagine I will ever sell mine.

Unfortunately I sold mine as my work forced me into darker/faster subjects. ISO 3200 was a real reach for the 1DsII and only a few pix at that level were useable. I'm now shooting the 5DIII and while it's nice enough, I guess, it truly lacks that magical something the 1DsII IQ had. It also just doesn't "feel" like a 1D. One's hands can also experience addiction.

I'm seriously considering buying a nice used one for any sort of work that doesn't need high ISO (which frankly is quite a bit.)

Robert

May 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Nice racing shot, Jefferson, good to see 'PetKal' still cranking those 16MP images out!

I've been looking at the 1DsII as a companion for my 1DIIN, they'd share batteries and software, have the same basic controls layout with the Ds having twice the MPs, it could be a nice aging combo

Just picked up a 15 f2.8 FE, a FF body seems the next step, the lingering question is to 6D instead of another 'brick'

Cheers,
Jerry

May 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM
peterbosox
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

I have a 5DIII that I really love. It is my #1 camera. The high ISO is so much better. The screen so much bigger. The controls much more easy to use. Does not have that huge battery.

That said, I still use my 1DsII often. When ISO is not an issue, I tend to use it. The photos just have a magical quality to them. I very often tell myself I should sell it, but I just can not.

May 29, 2015 at 01:01 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

StillFingerz wrote:
I've been looking at the 1DsII as a companion for my 1DIIN, they'd share batteries and software, have the same basic controls layout with the Ds having twice the MPs, it could be a nice aging combo
Jerry

The big problem with the D2 series is the lack of control. With its Firewire only requiement.
I had the trio. 1D Mk II, 1D MkIIn and the 1Ds Mk II. IMHO, the 2n is the choice camera in this series and the only one I have left.
Also, IMHO, the only thing the D2s has is FF otherwise the 2n is better.

I would save up for a good used 1DS MkIII. Again, IMHO.

May 31, 2015 at 11:22 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

ebiggs wrote:
The big problem with the D2 series is the lack of control. With its Firewire only requiement.
I had the trio. 1D Mk II, 1D MkIIn and the 1Ds Mk II. IMHO, the 2n is the choice camera in this series and the only one I have left.

Funds are being saved for a 6D or perhaps a 5D3, my 2N purchase was a very personal one, it was more about the seller. But it's also a wonderful body, I was looking for an older body with large pixels and was thinking on a 5D. The 2N and 5D share the same pixel size, I am somewhat reach limited and thus the 1.3x and AF won the debate.

As for the Ds, I've a dedicated; older, laptop that has firewire and I don't find the old gear an issue. There are some nice features the 1D3's have that make them quite attractive, liveview, sensor dust removal, a better/lighter battery. Yet for all their higher-tech there is a simplicity with the older 'bricks' that I prefer. There are a pair of EOS3s in my kit as well and yes they are 'old school' which I do enjoy.

Will I buy another 1D for now my toys are quite enjoyable

Cheers,
Jerry

May 31, 2015 at 02:07 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Mr Biggs,

Have to disagree with you on this one. Of course I'm not quite sure what you mean by "lack of control." If you are referring to tethered studio shooting then yes FW was the only choice which for Mac based photogs wasn't an issue.

Not being a studio photographer (and I'll never be one) all of my work with the IIs was outside, either in motion or off the tripod. I found the camera itself a dream to control once I learned that it was a TACTILE interface. I admit it took me a bit and I cursed a few missed shots, but once I got the 1DIIn and the 1DsII down, I could control the camera almost without thought. I certainly didn't have to stop and push some button and look at the rear screen to get almost anything important done.

The compelling thing for me and I think quite a few others was the way it handled natural light. Now I'm scientific and engineering trained so tend to look at things in an "objective"way. Something like the way light is refracted, scattered, captured, and passed thru an A/D process is a mathematically predictable model. I'm sure that's so with the 1DsII also, but something in the way it got imagined, designed, built gave it a special quality when dealing with natural light. Frankly this ought not to be though perhaps those FF large pixels had something to do with.

Despite my prejudices, I can still flip thru my 10k+ library and with about 80% accuracy immediately spot the 1DsII natural light photos. Go figure cause I don't really know why it's so.

Though I bought them used and worked them hard before passing them on, the 1DIIn/1DsII era was a great camera time. Don't get me wrong. Wouldn't trade a 1Dx for either as my sole camera, but there is still a lure in the older models. (Just somehow can't develop much affection for the 5DIII. Something about how it works in my hands I guess. Have certainly taken some excellent photos with it.)

Robert

May 31, 2015 at 04:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

StillFingerz wrote:
Jerry

ebiggs wrote:

Hi Ernest (and Jerry),

I agree with Robert. I'm also not sure what you mean about "lack of control." The firewire connection is a real PITA if you want to change most of the Personal Functions; otherwise, I never used it.

OTOH, if you're referring to tethered operations, I wouldn't bother doing that with anything older than a 1DIII or 1DsIII. IOW, you got's to have LiveView to make it worthwhile.

May 31, 2015 at 05:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Hi Robert,

OntheRez wrote:
... Wouldn't trade a 1Dx for either as my sole camera...

That's remarkably sensible.

OntheRez wrote:
... but there is still a lure in the older models...

Speaking as a recent buyer and seller of a 1Ds and 1DIIN, I can agree that the lure is real. It's probably a "spinner", 'cause I couldn't resist.

May 31, 2015 at 05:20 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Perhaps a few bits might explain/help with my 1DMkIIN and possible 1DsMkII purchases

I normally shoot with two kits, one for action and one for 'everything else', plus carry some sort of P&S which atm is a G12. And for my non action work I rarely if ever shoot tethered. The exception is a type of tethering when I use DSLController with my Android phone and tablet

Action - Birds, Car Racing; drags and road, Motocross and lastly/mostly Surfing.
Other - City, Land and Seascapes, lots of closeups/macros of Gardens and their flora; flowers are a major part of my interest.

Handholding is my norm, plus I use supports attached to my wheelchair. I really like heavier gear for action and usually there is a support of some sort assisting me. And in 40plus years shooting, I prefer a gripped body; built-in or not they just feel better, help balance with bigger glass.

As of late, due to some health issues, a lighter kit has been a better fit and I've shoot mostly with gripless bodies; 40D and 7D. A 6D is in my future once budget permits, as are more f4L IS zooms. On the heavier gear front, once I'm stronger a 400mm or longer lens will join my kit, but that's a 2016 or later happening

Edited on May 31, 2015 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2015 at 06:39 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Hey guys I am in the game with you all and still have my 1D Mk2n. By lack of control is, now that firewire is obsolute, you can not change the personal functions.
IMHO, the 2n is the best version of the Mk2's.
The Ds and 2 have even more control issues.
Consider the file handling and painfully slow USB. Even so I still like mine.

May 31, 2015 at 06:39 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

I should probably mend my Luddite ways but I like 8 MP digital cameras. I get almost 900-1000 RAW images on an 8gb card. That is creative freedom. Using a 30d, perhaps I'll get one of these one day.

Idk anything about the firewire issue, but old computers are cheap. I would think you could get one for the camera.

May 31, 2015 at 06:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

jcolwell wrote:
I agree with Robert. I'm also not sure what you mean about "lack of control." The firewire connection is a real PITA if you want to change most of the Personal Functions; otherwise, I never used it.

Those PFs were a dumb idea in every way.......the best thing I could do was to ignore them altogether. Eventually, Canon has given up on that, like they've done it on another stupid idea of theirs: having to depress two buttons simultaneously in order to change a setting using a control dial. Unbelievably dumb !

May 31, 2015 at 07:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

PetKal wrote:
... Canon has given up on that, like they've done it on another stupid idea of theirs: having to depress two buttons simultaneously in order to change a setting using a control dial. Unbelievably dumb !

Saves on buttons. Even the 1DX has a two-button push for AEB. Just sayin.

May 31, 2015 at 07:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

Out of curiosity, why do those that mention a preference prefer the 1D MkIIn over the 1DsII?

May 31, 2015 at 07:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ... 1Ds2 and Longevity ...

jcolwell wrote:
Saves on buttons. Even the 1DX has a two-button push for AEB. Just sayin.

AEB two button push I can live with.
However, how did they think people who used long lenses + MkII cameras handheld could change ISO or FPS on the fly ?

May 31, 2015 at 08:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.