Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

czn1111

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Hi there, I'm a sports photographer, been pro since the good ol' days of film (still miss those days...) Anyway, a few people have suggested that, rather than worrying about releasing higher-res images, to offer digital frames. I have looked a little bit into it, but I'd like to find something where I can upload the images and deliver the frames with the hi-res images already installed, but that the clients can not download FROM that digital frame... anyone found this, or sold these yet??

May 26, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

... Most will just buy a frame and take photos from the ... Internet ... Facebook ... a Convenient Subject Related Website ... iPhone ... Fred's ... etc. .

Then ... if the "frame" stops working (with your photos still intact), .... who's responsible ... you or the frame maker ... ? Are you going to replace the "frame" ... who sends the frame back after it has been resold (to your customer)...

Maybe put photos on a thumdrive and ship (sell) that to be loaded to a customers frame via USB port. Thumdrives are cheap and reliable ... You can also provide different sizes or even formats ... then they can print ... share ... or whatever ...

Just a thought ...
Jefferson ... http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JTCh7ZJ/0/Ti/i-JTCh7ZJ-Ti.jpg

May 26, 2015 at 03:20 PM
czn1111

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

they send it back to me and i replace it, i deal with sending it back... maybe for one year, or however long the normal warranty is on it...

May 26, 2015 at 04:03 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

If you really feel strong about doing the "digital frames"....then consider offering 1/2 the mfr warranty time.
First...crap can happen..and since your not the "true" end customer...you have no control over how they are used.
Second...then if something happened 3 days before the actual warranty is up...by the time they get to you...you to mfr.....your outside the warranty time....and no repair...but end customer will hold you to it.
Third....as a slight side note....can you assure you will offer the 'style' of frame they ALL will like??
it would be better to do as Jefferson stated...offer thumb drive...let them pic and pay for the frame...or inform them that that most newer TV's you can plug into and do the same.

just some random thoughts....

May 29, 2015 at 07:02 PM
czn1111

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Very good points on the warranty time, absolutely!
Yeah, you never can please everyone, just can only choose a digital frame that I like - mostly concerned about finding one that they can't download the images from. So I can upload the images to it, and that's it. They can add additional images, but can't pull those high-res files from it. I don't ever release high-res files unless directly to a hard-copy publisher, so the thumb-drive idea ain't gonna happen... I was thinking of this as a way for customers to get the high-res files but not be able to do anything else with them... Still have not found anything where they can't pull the files from it, though, so don't know if it's going to be able to happen...

May 29, 2015 at 07:17 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Could you use a nix play frame and set up an account to which only you have access? They could still add images via USB and you could add or delete images from the web based portion of the frame. I have not tried to download images off the frame that are stored in the cloud, but don't think it can be done.

https://www.nixplay.com/cloud-frames/

May 29, 2015 at 07:23 PM
czn1111

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Had never seen nix play - very cool - if it will work, I LOVE the models they have... I have already sent them an email to inquire more... will let you know when / if I hear back from them... Thanks so much for that suggestion!!

May 29, 2015 at 07:38 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Well....to me....on a digital frame....there is ABSOLUTELY no need for full rez images!!!

May 29, 2015 at 07:59 PM
czn1111

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

no need for them to be FULL res, but they'd certainly be much higher res than anything else i am willing to sell or release at all digitally... i only release small low-res files, impossible to print or enlarge, or make your screensaver, for example...

May 29, 2015 at 11:17 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

Resolution on the 13" isn't bad ...... 1920 x 1080 pixels, but agreed, not full res

May 30, 2015 at 12:29 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone tried selling digital photo frames?

czn1111 wrote:
Hi there, I'm a sports photographer, been pro since the good ol' days of film (still miss those days...) Anyway, a few people have suggested that, rather than worrying about releasing higher-res images,

As another shooter old enough to have worked with film for a long time ( you'd be surprised how rare us "dinosaurs" as the digital only shooters call us are getting) I think you may have been brainwashed with the same stupid mindset as I was about giving negs away.

Oh no! You can't do that, they are your heart and soul and art and you might loose out on reprint sales.
Yeah? How many did you ever get? A few pissy 6x4's or 5x5's that took longer to find, frig around ordering, sending to the lab , sorting and all the rest of it than they were worth.
I kept all my negs and what happened? I got bugger all repeats, Invested in money to store the things safely and then ended up PAYING to have them carted to the tip years later because 50% of the people were now divorced and the negs were valueless.
Hmmm, That was a great idea hanging on to negs that was.

Towards the end of my film days and into digital I went to the dark side and either sold the negs for damn good money or included them in packages which allowed me to get good higher prices that I could have without them. The clients immediately after the wedding did/ do think they are valuable and that's when you can get good money for them. Even 3 years later they realize they haven't looked at the album for a year and the Negs/ Hi res files are worth NOTHING.

Yeah, I miss parts of the film days too but I sure woke up to myself and realised what a crock the negs/ hi res files thing is.

I strongly suggest you have a good think about that particular old school mentality and offer them up for whatever you can get for them. they are worthless to anyone else so you only have one potential customer so get the most you can WHILE you can and forget trying to guard them like they are gold.
Sports pictures are like wedding pics and get old and valueless fast.

Offer them for sale or value add your coverages and be happy and smart. Promote the fact you are selling hi res images and they can get more prints made for granny and everyone in the neighborhood cheap. It sounds great and they rarely do it and if you price the pics accordingly you make more from them print sales.

I offered CD's of the images straight out of the camera and did well with them. 50% of my sales were Digital files but about 80% of my profit came from them. I didn't try to keep them out of the clients hands, I did my damnedest to get them INTO thier hands and did bloody well from it.

At very least, I would strongly suggest you have a serious rethink about why you want to keep the hi res images away from them vs. the drawbacks of promoting and selling them.
The secret is there are no disadvantages to selling the hi res files and Images sure as hell don't get anymore valuable to us with age.

May 30, 2015 at 04:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.