New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

tonyfield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

My friend Kat designed a new outfit and thought Lisa would make a good model for the dress and hat. Nadya did the makeup. It was in the evening, about 7:30 - cool, moist, and overcast. The location is a pathway behind my house.

In the low evening light, I chose to shoot the 85mm 1.2 lens only With this lens, you really have to be very careful about focusing. Sometimes the good images are not perfectly sharp ... Oh well ...

1. http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa01.jpg
2. http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa02.jpg
3. http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa03.jpg

4. added as per suggestion http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa04.jpg

5. added ... to show another outfit put together by Kat http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa05.jpg

Edited on May 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

I like the dress, but the hat doesn't make it better. Nice image of a pretty girl.

May 26, 2015 at 02:18 PM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

I wasn't sure what I was feeling, until I read Dave's post. I agree -- her hair and the makeup are overshadowed by the images with the hat.

Photographically, though, I think you nailed all 3 of these shots. I really like your composition on #1.

May 26, 2015 at 05:30 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Nice to have a pathway like this behind your house! What a great location.

I'm surprised to see this shot in Shutter Priority. Seems an odd choice.

May 26, 2015 at 08:03 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

The last shot is what really does the dress, and the model wearing it, justice. Also not a fan of the hat, but what do I know about fashion?

May 26, 2015 at 09:11 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Model - YES!, Dress - YES! Hat...not so much, can't decide on the shoes, might be better without them.

May 27, 2015 at 07:15 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Gee, um, that hat is hideous.

Attractive model, nice location, dress is great 'cept for the sleeves. Could do without the shells on the face.

Nice compositions and lighting.

May 27, 2015 at 09:20 AM
ksegedi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Stunning model. I wouldn't mind if the second had her head tilted down instead of up, hiding her face but, showing the hat a better angle.

May 27, 2015 at 05:46 PM
mrhangt

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Like the triangle on #1 don't like the make up and her head is tilt upwards.

May 27, 2015 at 10:40 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

Thanks for the comments, folks. I guess the hat seems to present the problems. Kat will be working on a new hat design that corrects the problem with this one

May 27, 2015 at 11:51 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

ksegedi wrote:
Stunning model. I wouldn't mind if the second had her head tilted down instead of up, hiding her face but, showing the hat a better angle.

That is a good suggestion. Here is one shot with the head down, hiding most of her face:

4. http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/lisa04.jpg

May 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

DaveOls wrote:
I like the dress, but the hat doesn't make it better. Nice image of a pretty girl.

Kat did a fine job on the dress. The hat does present a problem ... Kat made the hat in the morning before the shoot - a bit of a rush.

---------------------------------------------

Puffin Runner wrote:
I wasn't sure what I was feeling, until I read Dave's post. I agree -- her hair and the makeup are overshadowed by the images with the hat.

Photographically, though, I think you nailed all 3 of these shots. I really like your composition on #1.

Agree ... the hat does command a lot of attention.

Thanks for the kind comment.

Inga wrote:
Nice to have a pathway like this behind your house! What a great location.

I'm surprised to see this shot in Shutter Priority. Seems an odd choice.

The location is really fine (after a bit of photoshop work ).

I have been shooting shutter priority for at least a thousand years with the excuse that I want to eliminate camera shake as a problem. One of these days I should try to give aperture priority a chance. It does have advantages for many things.

friscoron wrote:
The last shot is what really does the dress, and the model wearing it, justice. Also not a fan of the hat, but what do I know about fashion?

Thanks Ron. You and the rest of the army have similar opinions about the hat. Kat is currently interested in making hats ... and this is just the second of the "big hats". Her design and styling is progressively improving.

I don't know anything about fashion either .... but it is fun to shoot ... each subject is "different".

schlotz wrote:
Model - YES!, Dress - YES! Hat...not so much, can't decide on the shoes, might be better without them.

You would enjoy shooting Lisa ... unfortunately, she is moving from Calgary to Victoria B.C. next week for a good research job. We will miss her.

Yup ... believe it or not, Lisa does not own a pair of high heels. Good shoes would have been a plus !!!

film_4ever wrote:
Gee, um, that hat is hideous.

Attractive model, nice location, dress is great 'cept for the sleeves. Could do without the shells on the face.

Nice compositions and lighting.

Kat is experimenting and working on hats ... the next one will be better. Interesting about the sleeves ... I liked the visual contrast with the dress ... but, as Ron said above "What do I know about style".

mrhangt wrote:
Like the triangle on #1 don't like the make up and her head is tilt upwards.

I agree, a more direct look would have been more appropriate ... My error for missing that ... and I directed the basic pose

May 28, 2015 at 12:11 AM
ksegedi
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

tonyfield wrote:
That is a good suggestion. Here is one shot with the head down, hiding most of her face:

I like it!

May 28, 2015 at 08:41 AM
ksegedi
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

The new hat (er... head piece) is working. The shirt seems to overpower it though. And the nails, which worked well with the opulence of the first ensemble, aren't working in this one. OK, fashion critique aside. Another winning photo! I really like the pose and background.

May 28, 2015 at 08:50 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Empress has new clothes (2 added(

good set & good looking model

May 29, 2015 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.