Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma 24mm F1.4 A | Is Three times the Charm?

MadManAce

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 24mm F1.4 A | Is Three times the Charm?

A little background on previous experience with Sigma Art Lenses. I had a Sigma 35mm Art before the USB Dock was sold and I went through four lenses each with very different AF issues. When the 50 Art debuted, the USB Dock was now available so I took another chance hoping that it would resolve the issues I had earlier. Lo and behold, the 50 Art was perfect after calibrations and has been to date one of my best lenses.

After two Sigma 24mm Art lenses, here are my findings. Focusing works well up to 0.35 meters, from 0.35m to infinity it is a hot mess of inconstancy regardless of AFMA adjustments. I have lost faith in Sigma being able to produce a wide-angle lens that focuses reliably enough to trust on paid assignment. I will revisit the Art Series when they make an 85mm Art, I feel that this lens should not pose any problems, or so I hope.

1st Lens: AF was off at default settings: Used Sigma USB Dock to make the following changes 0.25m (+7), 0.35m (+6), 0.6m (+6), Infinity took me all the way to +20 and it still did not acquire focus. From MFD to 0.6m meters it worked about as reliable as expected, beyond that, it never focused. RETURNED

2nd Lens: It was perfect at close distance, then noticed 100% failure at long distance. I started my calibration procedure again starting at close distance and moving away. Sigma USB Dock calibrations are as follows 0.25m (+0), 0.35m (+0), 0.6m (+20 not one photo ever focused correctly), Infinity (+15 was the best AFMA setting but it still missed about 1/2 the time) RETURNED

Optical Qualities: When using LiveView the images were ok, not 50mm Art level sharp but good enough, the Vignetting at 1.4 was far worse than expected. I don't usually mind a bit a of vignetting because I feel it adds character, but this thing has extreme tunnel vision.

Bottom Line: I love fast wide angle lenses because I feel shooting at 1.4 gives just enough separation to make the subject stand out while keeping the environment recognizable, with telephoto lenses I actually stop down quite a bit because I hate obliterating the background beyond recognition. This unfortunately means I will have to stick to boring 24mm @2.8 until I find a 24L at the right price.

All Calibration was done on Canon 5DMK3, One Shot AF, with Tripod, Outdoor Shade, 1/2000 @ 1.4

May 26, 2015 at 11:44 AM
MintMar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 24mm F1.4 A | Is Three times the Charm?

Ouch. I thought 24A would be nice in the AF area. I have the predecessor, the 24/1.8 EX which focuses acceptably well for me, but optically it's just so so.

I don't have big budget, so perhaps I'd rather spend it on second hand 135L than 24A and see how 24A fares later on...

May 26, 2015 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.