New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

Now so many people coming here that the park was repeatedly closing the entrance this past weekend. The line of cars and RV's was extended out to highway 191 and beyond.

Edward Abbey would be turning over in his grave (if we knew where it was).

Fortunately we are building even more hotels and motels..

May 26, 2015 at 09:40 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

Not surprised. Natural places all over the world are overrun and loved to death by visitors these days. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Big Sur, Columbia Gorge, Patagonia, Iceland, Australia -- you name it. One of the reasons why I'm almost always against giving away the location where a photo was shot.

-Phil

May 26, 2015 at 09:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

I was there last month, and spent most of my time out on the rim of Canyonlands. Got rained out the last night so on the way home I spotted a Foreign tourist rental car all smashed up and two dead cows in the road. It was pre dawn and they were headed into the park, maybe to Mesa Arch.

At a very remote place the first night, out on a pretty rough 4WD road, I had a German couple hike in for pictures, they were camped a mile or so away. They said this was their 12th trip to Utah since 2003.

May 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

Before it was a national park, it was a natural moneymint, er, I mean a national monument (Thanks for that, Edward).

But really, Craig, what were you thinking going out there on a holiday weekend?! Hopefully just driving by.

May 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

After seeing cars backed up to Hwy 191 on the May 9th weekend, I'm not at all surprised that the entrance was closed on a holiday weekend. I wonder what the official vehicle capacity of the park is?

Yes, we found the open range on the Canyonlands entrance road rather hazardous in the dark. There were numerous black cows with calves that blended well with the roadside. At least they don't dart across the road like deer! I was amazed we didn't see any dead cows during our weeklong stay!

May 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM
sizzzzlerz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

The thought of driving up the entrance road behind all those motorhomes, buses spewing diesel exhaust, and cars, gives me the willies. Downtown Moab must of been a mob scene as well.

May 26, 2015 at 11:56 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

yea I avoid all national parks on major holidays. It's a sad state of affairs, but I mean it's a national park and people should go and enjoy it. I'm not for the whole las-vegas thing they are wanting to build.

May 26, 2015 at 02:51 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

Yep, my mantra is "always go in the off seasons"
Case in point, I'm on the Yosemite mailing list for accommodations.
When I see rooms avail for around 1/2 price, I plan my trips for those date-ranges.
So far this works but it may not for other parks where the best times to go for photo ops are
around holidays.

If the tourist industry creates more holidays then my plan is at risk!
Then of course, by then, you may be able to subscribe to a drone or time-lapse photo service.
Then you won't have to go or be allowed to.
Maybe the govt will own the rights & you will have to pay for the images

Dear Lord, I hope I'm gone by then!

Dan

May 26, 2015 at 03:34 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

interesting take on the situation...it doesn't seem right to be upset that other people want to see Arches, I mean, it is a great place...I live near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and it is one of my favorite places in the country...and while the traffic and ignorant tourists can be annoying, I can't fault them for wanting to see it and certainly wouldn't go griping about it...they are National Parks after all...

Edited on May 28, 2015 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

May 27, 2015 at 08:44 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

ckcarr wrote:
Edward Abbey would be turning over in his grave (if we knew where it was).

No comment.

May 27, 2015 at 09:44 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

I do find the attitude of keeping locations a secret to be selfish. Yes, it is true that the iconic locations are now overrun by tourists, whether it is the arches or the Mount Everest. However, I believe the tourists bring one important thing to the economy of that region... money!!! I am sure that the tourists visiting Monument Valley has helped a lot of the native American people in that area and helped many of them move out of poverty but still live near their family.

It is never okay to be selfish and try to justify it. If the BLM believes that an area needs to be managed, they will do so... just like the Coyote Buttes. I am just amazed by us photographers who want to keep their photos unique and hence refuse to share the locations in fear that their images will become a cliche.

May 28, 2015 at 09:00 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

AMaji wrote:
I do find the attitude of keeping locations a secret to be selfish. ... I am just amazed by us photographers who want to keep their photos unique and hence refuse to share the locations in fear that their images will become a cliche.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. It's not about taking a unique photo that no one else will be able to reproduce - no "Me, myself and I" attitude. It's about protecting a location from the masses that would follow you if you would reveal it. How many negative examples do you need? Proxy Falls, Cape Kiwanda and Painted Hills in Oregon, Cape Tribulation and Kakadu National Park in Australia, Katmandu in Nepal. I've known many of these places long before they were overrun by tourism. If I compare then and now, I could cry every time.

AMaji wrote:
I believe the tourists bring one important thing to the economy of that region... money!

Yes, unfortunately, that's what it's all about. Profit. Selling state park land in Bandon to develop a coastal golf course, wind turbines on Steens Mountain, killing off cormorant colonies in the Columbia River, ...

-Phil

Edited on May 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

deleted

Edited on May 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

AMaji wrote:
I am just amazed by us photographers who want to keep their photos unique and hence refuse to share the locations in fear that their images will become a cliche.

My own attitude regarding this is - if asked by private message I almost always share complete location details, the only exception (very rare) being those instances where I have been asked not to divulge information by the person who clued me onto it in the first place. Sharing publicly I do on a case-by-case basis.

What amuses me is the photographer who won't share trivial details of a known site. Like the time I queried a guy about sunrise/sunset viewpoints at the Red Rock area near Ridgecrest, CA. Needless to add, his non-cooperation didn't impede me in any way.

At any rate - mass tourism is a cancer we will have to live with.

May 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

If a person really wants to find neat subject material in a given region, and is willing to take the time to dig, they will find plenty of information out there on the interwebs. (And if that fails, getting off your duff and hiking out to see first-hand is always worth a try!)

FWIW, I have zero objection to people who guard their 'secret' locations from the Thundering Herds who blindly flock to the latest 'hot spots,' and have ruined untold once-pristine locations.

I used to feel much less militant - until a few years back when I encountered a large group of photo yahoos out in an isolated area of Grand Staircase. They were part of a workshop, or maybe photo club outing, and were yapping about their gear (as people like this always seem to do.) Two of them were smoking, and shortly after we passed each other, I found a still smouldering butt laying on the ground. A small thing perhaps, but it really pissed me off. People like this need to go to Jackalope Canyon and stay there!

May 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

AMaji wrote:
It is never okay to be selfish and try to justify it. If the BLM believes that an area needs to be managed, they will do so... just like the Coyote Buttes. I am just amazed by us photographers who want to keep their photos unique and hence refuse to share the locations in fear that their images will become a cliche.

In other words, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it!"
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of government regulations and the pathetic Nanny State society they encourage.

People are lazy, selfish, and destructive. In principle and in practice, I have NO problem withholding information.

That said, I'm always glad to share with individuals IF they sound like responsible, sensible folks, and if they pledge to avoid blabbing too much about what they may find.

May 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

deleted

May 28, 2015 at 01:50 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

I understand what many of you stated about protecting a fragile place. I am all for protecting a fragile environment and that is why I support BLM's efforts. There are times when big brother is too controlling but protecting the environment and fragile locations is something I support.

However, just be true to yourself. Maybe not you guys, but there are a number of other members here who will not share the location not out of concern of the environment there but to protect the uniqueness of the area in their images taken there. I am sure some can create new images of icons, but then the iconic image is there for a reason. I am sorry, but I strongly feel that there is a prevailing selfish attitude which we justify by trying to bring in the reason of protecting the fragile environment. I am guilty of that, and many are. Of course, there are many great members here to whom the fragility is the primary concern, but I believe that selfishness is the primary reason for most.

May 28, 2015 at 04:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

deleted

May 28, 2015 at 05:15 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arches National Park Entrance Closed Repeatedly OVer the Weekend

Two of them were smoking, and shortly after we passed each other, I found a still smouldering butt laying on the ground. A small thing perhaps, but it really pissed me off. People like this need to go to Jackalope Canyon and stay there!

NOT a small thing at all. That really makes me mad, even here in the not-pristine wilds of Los Angeles.

May 28, 2015 at 05:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.