New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Focus in dark situations

Carlosh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus in dark situations

I have a Canon 60d and a Nissin Di866 Mark II flash that I use for weddings. One problem I have is with the autofocus, especially when the DJ turns the lights down during a slow dance. At 68, my vision is not what it used to be, so manual focusing is not reliable in my case.

I have been reading that there is a speedlight focus beam (red) that will help with the focusing in dark situations. I don't see any red beam coming from the flash. What do I have to do to have my flash help my camera focus?

Just to make the conversation lively, is there something else I can buy to get razor sharp focus in dark situations?

Carlos

May 25, 2015 at 10:02 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus in dark situations

The red light from the flash may need to be enabled on a flash menu, or on a camera menu, so check on those things. Not all flash units that are compatable with Canon cameras have focus assist lights, so double check your flash to make sure it has one.

Other things that can help with low light focus are to use as fast a lens as possible, and one with an f 2.8 or brighter speed is a threshold where the autofocus sensors work better. Another is to make sure you are using the center focus point, which typically works better in low light than any of the other sensors. And a third thing, which may not be an option, is to use a different camera body, likely more expensive than your 60D, that has an autofocus system that works better in low light.

If you can not get the focus assist light on the flash to work for you, you might consider mounting a small LED video light on your camera and flash rig some how, which would give you enough light to have autofocus work at closer distances, and would also allow you to see and frame the image better as you shoot.

May 26, 2015 at 12:49 AM
MaryGreen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus in dark situations

Have you heard of back button focus? It works very easy. As I recently read at https://keepsnap.com/ you need to press once the BBF for locking the focus in a fixed spot and then just press the shutter button as many times as you need. Until you unlock it by pressing the BBF one more time, your camera won’t refocus.

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:51 AM
Carlosh

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus in dark situations

Mary, I do know about the focus lock button. It is the initial focus that I was having trouble with. I have enabled the speed light beam to work. Unfortunately, I don't remember which step I took that finally allowed a red beam to shoot out that enabled the camera to focus. I tried it in very dark situations and it worked every time.

Carlos

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:00 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus in dark situations

Back button focus doesnt add any focusing ability in dark situations....you need af assist from a speedlight. Shoot only center point, af-s (or "one shot" AF for canon)...that is the ticket...and make sure your af assist is turned on.

Most af assist beams won't turn on with continuous af

Jun 01, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Carlosh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus in dark situations

Thanks Nathan, I do believe those are the settings I made!

Carlos

Jun 01, 2015 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.