Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

pontmercy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

My wife has really enjoyed taking some very creative photos with her iPhone. She loved the camera on her iPhone 5 but since she got the 6, not as much. She made the statement today that "i guess i'm addicted, time to learn to use a real camera, huh?"

I'm excited but wouldn't know where to start to advise her on what model to buy.

I'd like her to buy a Nikon so we could share glass. My Df is a little too much for her to handle and she doesn't want a point and shoot style but a DSLR.

What would you suggest? Plus, it would be nice if it was really "pretty". I know, it sounds stupid but hey, she wants what she wants, don't knock her! I am seriously in LOVE with my Df, not only how it works but how it looks. I believe in loving your gear, sue me! Ha ha

Thanks all!

May 25, 2015 at 01:39 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Red D5200 QED.

May 25, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Used RX1.

May 25, 2015 at 03:48 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Mirrorless? D3200/3300 or D5300 good starter cameras. Get her a starter photo book too. Good luck.

May 25, 2015 at 03:52 PM
pontmercy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

I have been looking at the Nikon 1 V2, V3 and J5 models. She likes the look of them but would like to try them. I prefer an optical viewfinder, she doesn't know what she would prefer until she tries some.

Thanks for the responses. The Nikon 5200, 3200, etc. have never turned me on but they may be perfect for her needs, We'll check them out.

The RX1, although really incredible, is a bit out of the price range, even used.

Thanks again all!

May 25, 2015 at 03:54 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

If it doesn't fit in a fit in a shirt pocket will she still take it out and use it?

David

May 25, 2015 at 05:45 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

1DX.

You can use Nikon lenses on it with an adapter.

May 25, 2015 at 06:30 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Go mirrorless. My lance is using an A7II and loves it.

She was also using my D700 and hated it. I tried putting a D750 in her hands and she didn't like it either.

She also liked the Sony RX1. The new Fuji XT10 might also be a good choice.

May 25, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

nuclearjock wrote:
Red D5200 QED.

I agree. I use a D5200 and love it, only wish there was autofocus fine-tune. It's a bit off with my Sigma 105mm macro from f2.8 to f4, but if you don't use telephotos or ultra-fast lenses it's a near perfect camera for the price and size.

May 25, 2015 at 07:10 PM
Daniel Bliss

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Take her to a camera store and have her try some out for size, as it were. The more the merrier. One tip . . . at a larger Best Buy (e.g. their Michigan Avenue location in Chicago) they'll have a LOT of selection set up on the sales floor, including Sony mirrorless, Nikon (D3xxx all the way through the D810) and so on.

I personally think a lightly used Nikon D7000 or D7100 is a good place to start. Note that quite a lot of D7000s shipped with mirror alignment problems, which is a fairly straightforward adjustment that shouldn't break the bank if it needs to be done, but you'd see it if the camera is focusing accurately in, say, sunlight, but consistently focusing either behind or in front of the subject in different lighting, e.g. incandescent. But if it's free of that problem, it's a wonderful little camera, fast AF, compact, equipped with AF microadjustment, very easy to use and with superb support for electronic flash. And they're cheap used for what they are.

The other ones that have my attention right now are Sony mirrorless. I think the Nikon full-frame line is great too, but probably a little big (except the D750) and a little out of your price range (except perhaps a used D800 or D610).

Part of the choice will be what she wants to take photos of. Nature, wildlife and action point toward a DSLR or Olympus mirrorless, but just about everything else can now be effectively done with Sony or Fuji mirrorless.

May 25, 2015 at 07:39 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

1st have her look through the view finder of a DX body and a FX body and see how she reacts.

May 25, 2015 at 07:48 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

A df would be an amazing first camera.

May 25, 2015 at 08:37 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

She will never use anything larger than the RX100 III for more than three months. Pitch it as a great compact mirrorless - the new DSLR.
If I am wrong, you will have become very lucky. I'm just going with the odds here. I wish you the best.

May 25, 2015 at 08:53 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Daniel Bliss wrote:
Take her to a camera store and have her try some out for size, as it were.

This +100

She (or almost anyone new to photography) has to hold the camera and decide "This feels good" or it'll never get used.

May 25, 2015 at 09:16 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Yep, take her to store and let her hands decide what feels right. Then get her Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

Peace,

Todd

May 25, 2015 at 09:25 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

Not much help here. My daughter is very happy with her RX100. Personally, I like it more than my NEX6 in some ways. Not sure that if the RX100iii was out when we went to Europe, that might not have been my go small/light camera. For the evf. They are kind of small to do much control fiddling but the size to performance kick is pretty high. Although seriously bigger, the D7000-D7200 cameras might support more of your lenses than the D5xxx and focus drive system is a factor.

Might be worth some clarifying what she wants to do beyond the camera phone as a "real" camera? Is it just zoom range or more expansive exposure functonlity, etc.?

May 25, 2015 at 09:26 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

I think the Fuji mirrorless is a great bang for the buck, also it is helpful when learning to see the EVF showing what the settings result in real time. Plus you can change aperature, shutter, and exposure compensation all in physical dials. Great for learning.

May 25, 2015 at 09:30 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

I would not buy into another camera system if you already have Nikon lenses. My wife really likes my old D5100. The D5xxx series might be a good place to start. It needs AFS lenses is all.

Kent in SD

May 25, 2015 at 09:56 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

While the Sony RX100 has been mentioned, also look at the RX-10.

May 25, 2015 at 09:58 PM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Beginner DSLR, wife going from iPhone to "real" camera!

I recently bought both my daughter and sister D3200s. It's a great value for the money of you can find one in LN condition used.

May 26, 2015 at 05:57 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.