FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

sceptic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

ebookman wrote:
Here are a couple of shots with the Asahi Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 on a Sony A7r Mod. What is different about these shots is the camera adapter. I am using a focusing M42 adapter which allows very close macro focus. This lens really works well as a macro because it already has such good 3D pop.

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-L7mDvV8/0/O/DSC09828---Copy.jpg

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-zKBfhhS/0/O/DSC09831---Copy.jpg

That´s it! Now I REALLY need to slap my S-M-C onto my helicoid adapter (a wonderful contraption, by the way) and start shooting! Great images, especially the first one!

Jun 03, 2015 at 02:20 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

This is a wonderful old lens. This short thread has revived my interest in a lens that has just been sitting on the shelf for years. Thanks! Asahi Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 on a Sony A7r Mod These are all shot wide open. The lens is very Zeiss like to me.

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-ZpCjkqb/0/O/DSC09859---Copy.jpg

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-Nz94nZ6/0/O/DSC09872---Copy.jpg

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-rJJMcH9/0/O/DSC09871---Copy.jpg

Jun 04, 2015 at 05:35 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

More fun with my 1971 Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens. This was shot at f/2, 1/25th, and ISO 100. Light source was the quiet early evening light coming through my north-facing living room window. The build quality is exceptional and it renders images most wonderfully. Heck, using this little tank with my 5D3 is as addictive as the Mexican Coca-Cola I drink on Saturday evenings

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

ebookman wrote:
This is a wonderful old lens. This short thread has revived my interest in a lens that has just been sitting on the shelf for years. Thanks! Asahi Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 on a Sony A7r Mod These are all shot wide open. The lens is very Zeiss like to me.

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-ZpCjkqb/0/O/DSC09859---Copy.jpg

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-Nz94nZ6/0/O/DSC09872---Copy.jpg

http://jendale.smugmug.com/Dales-pictures/Dales-2015-photos/i-rJJMcH9/0/O/DSC09871---Copy.jpg

Beautiful work Dale. BTW, I've pre-ordered the new A7IIr and look forward to shooting it with my Super Tak attached. I'm always impressed with the wonderful rendering Sony produces with it's A7 sensors.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

I just got a SMC 50 1.4 a couple days ago. I expected to like it but WOW! Truly stunning on my xe1 and 1diii.

Jun 28, 2015 at 03:28 PM
sceptic
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

Decided to shoot exclusively with my S-M-C on my A7R while walking around in Stockholm (repost from A7/S/R image thread):

Odd one out by scepticswe, on Flickr

Photowalk 2015-06-21 by scepticswe, on Flickr

Photowalk 2015-06-21 by scepticswe, on Flickr

Trio by scepticswe, on Flickr

The last shot was made by extending my helicoid adapter (basically a variable extension tube) to be able to focus closer. No sharpening added to any of the images (other than that added by the camera).

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

Is the SMC that much more contrasty (as seen in images here) than the Super which I own two of? Or is it processing?

Jun 29, 2015 at 01:50 AM
sceptic
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

Beni wrote:
Is the SMC that much more contrasty (as seen in images here) than the Super which I own two of? Or is it processing?

I´ve added quite some contrast to those shots, especially the b/w ones. They should not be considered "typical" for the S-M-C's level of contrast straight out of the camera.

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:18 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

I still have the 55mm f/1.8 super takumar that came with my SP 500 camera from the early 70's. The camera developed a bad light leak, but I should get the lens out and exercise the aperture blades a bit to keep it working ( if it still works )
Where did you get an adaptor for the screw mount lens to the bayonet camera. I've got a Nikon D 300s that I wouldn't mind trying the Pentax lens on.
Unfortunate that the manufacturers are getting away from aperture rings, dof scales, infrared focus dots and other things on lenses now.

Jun 29, 2015 at 01:54 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

What's the difference between the SMC version and Super Takumar version of the 50mm f1.4? Is it just the coatings? I've been thinking of picking one of these lenses up and I'm not sure which variation is better.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

jonrock wrote:
What's the difference between the SMC version and Super Takumar version of the 50mm f1.4? Is it just the coatings? I've been thinking of picking one of these lenses up and I'm not sure which variation is better.

There are actually three versions of this lens. The Super Takumar, the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, and the SMC Takumar. Here is a good article explaining the differences - https://luminous-landscape.com/my-favorite-lens/

Jun 30, 2015 at 08:05 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

You guys are going to make me go look in my office. I think I may have one of these attached to my old Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic that's on the shelf for decoration. Was thinking recently that I need to have the camera overhauled and start using it. Been shooting a little film lately, which is a fun diversion from digital, if only it weren't so expensive to develop and scan.

Jun 30, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

Nice to see a tribute to this wonderfully crafted old lens. I have the SMC version. I find the most perfect results to be at f/2. One of the great bang for the buck bargains out there!

Jun 30, 2015 at 09:14 PM
branana19

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

My grandfather just gave me his old pentax and it had this lens on it. To my surprise, it has already proved to be a really great lens! I'm officially intrigued by vintage lenses. I wonder how many other treasures are out there that I don't know about. This was taken at 1.7

© Brandon Charles Photography

Jun 03, 2016 at 06:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

ebookman wrote:
The lens is very Zeiss like to me.

Or, is it that Zeiss is trying to be very much like this lens.

Hmmm ... native mount options for the K-1

Jun 04, 2016 at 08:36 AM
rtallent
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

ebookman wrote:
This is a wonderful old lens... The lens is very Zeiss like to me.

Yes, i agree it is a lens with beautiful rendering. The color, contrast, saturation and tonal gradation are all wonderful. But after 13 years of shooting Pentax glass through the 70s (Spotmatic, MX, LX, 67) followed by 20 years of Leica (M3, M6, R4S) followed by 5 years of Contax before going digital I do not find the lens at all like Zeiss. To me, Pentax has always produced lenses more Leica-like. Not in the same league as Leica but more similar to Leica than most other lenses I have used. The first words out of my mouth after looking with awe at the first Kodachromes out of my M3 and Tele-Elmarit 90 were "Man, those Pentax lenses are good!". I still use SMC Takumar 1.4/50, 1.8/55, Super-Takumar 2.8/105 and SMCPM 1.4/50. I like Zeiss lenses very much, but I do not find the Pentax lenses I have used to be like them.

Excellent images, by the way! ☺

Jun 04, 2016 at 09:03 AM
banpreso
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

not my favorite due to abundance of selection but it sure performs when asked

Waiting for Food by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

Talking with Hands by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

Jul 25, 2016 at 07:34 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

I was hunting for it for some time, but once I got it I don't think I ever shot a single photo with it....
Still in a box somewhere...

Jul 25, 2016 at 07:38 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

I think this is the lens I own. I've only used it on film though. I at least have a version of this lens somewhere in my house

Pentax Spotmatic Fuji Pro400h by Dpedraza1, on Flickr

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:30 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4

Is the Super Takumar 50/1.4 8 element version also permitted to display in this thread?

If so, here are some I took in the past few weeks on my Pentax K-1.

Hotel Hotel by David McI, on Flickr

at f2
The edge of the Chinese Garden by David McI, on Flickr

Chimping by David McI, on Flickr

A 100% crop of a 'Last Post' ceremony at the Australian War Memorial, marking the 100th anniversary of the dreadful Battle of Fromelles in WW I. Aperture f8.
Last Post Ceremony by David McI, on Flickr

The full image
Last Post Ceremony by David McI, on Flickr

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:16 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.