New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Processing opinions wanted

Benedictine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Processing opinions wanted

I have recently read an article on some avoidable photographic errors, (http://www.diyphotography.net/avoidable-photographic-errors/) which I find interesting especially when the author writes, "Rule number one: there are no rules. A ‘mistake’ may not necessarily be a mistake if it helps convey the message or story or feeling intended by the photographer.” In the article there is a section on over processing which made me think about my own processing, this is the section:

"If the first impression of a photograph is one of processing (color shifts, vignettes, artificial tilt shift effects, grain etc.) then the chances are the actual subject matter will never really stand out, simply because the presentation dominates. Chances are, if the processing is too strong and you had a dozen photographs processed and presented identically, nobody will remember the subjects at all. Is the photograph about the subject or the presentation? If the content is unimportant, why take the photograph at all? An interesting subject and/or composition should not require heavy processing to make it interesting to begin with. The role of processing is to support and enhance the presentation of an idea only.”

So I am asking for members to comment on these photographs from a processing point of view—never mind the composition or subject please concentrate only on the processing and be honest—I am not looking for flattery or whatever the opposite of flattery is, but I do want to learn so please be constructive. I have tried to inlude a cross-section of my work so you can get an idea of my general processing. Thank you for your help in this.

May 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Processing opinions wanted

I'm confused about what you are requesting. If we assume the role of processing is to support and enhance the message of the image, doesn't that make it difficult to critique the processing without referring to the message of the image?

May 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Processing opinions wanted

AuntiPode wrote:
I'm confused about what you are requesting. If we assume the role of processing is to support and enhance the message of the image, doesn't that make it difficult to critique the processing without referring to the message of the image?

Thanks for this. On a simple level I suppose I am asking whether or not you think the images are over-processed, not processed enough, about right? Slightly deeper, do you think that the processing detracts from your enjoyment of the image? Some other questions you might ask are, “Has the processing made the image too gaudy?” “Is there too much contrast/lightness/darkness/vibrancy/saturation etc?” Hope this helps.

May 24, 2015 at 01:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Processing opinions wanted

The first has the leaves and sky blown. Probably a problem before processing, but processing can sometimes fix it.

Second, the sky and clouds are blown.

Third, some strange distortion going on, with a wedge effect, the features get wider as we look higher. You have a picture frame just barely visible right side, that should be cropped or cloned, along with the candlestick holder.

Forth. Seems ok.

As far as over processed? The web is a lousy place to get critique on processing other than gross errors. The stuff I mention are visible regardless, but color/saturation is so dependent on the monitor and so many monitors are pure junk that it's impossible.

May 24, 2015 at 09:56 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Processing opinions wanted

Thanks Ben that is very helpful.

May 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Processing opinions wanted

My general .02 on processing (compared to the quote) is that the processing is NOT a one size fits all.

Processing is the tool(s) to present and deliver your message as you want to deliver it. There is "standard" processing, there is "popular" processing, there is "creative" processing. Likely there are other aspects / ways of describing the myriad of options that abound, but theses are the main three that I consider what most folks are trying to contend with.

Part of the problem I see is that folks don't understand when to use which with their images ... self included at times. That, and the fact that so many people learn how to do "popular" & "creative" processing before they learn how to do well-corrected "standard" processing leads to overprocessing issues that pull away from the subject / message ... rather than guide, direct and enhance them.

To your more direct question @ overprocessed / too much contrast ... I think the answer is yes for this set.

A couple of key places to look for me are the blue & green areas in the room scene. While we understand that the color of light may be cool coming from the sky ... this color is amplified when we overprocess.

Similarly, the color of the woman's face is somewhat orange looking.

Try pulling back the saturation and contrast on these two (in particular) and see how the changes the impact of the image. Processing will always have a degree of subjectivity to it, but high vibrance, high contrast and high saturation (while very popular) don't always help you deliver your message ... especially when they are amplifying colors that can appear unnatural to our eye.

One thing that can occur with our WB is that when we add contrast or set our White / Black points, we can artificially neutralize our end points (blown / blocked) ... yet still have color casts in the middle that don't look correct. (Of course, anything goes for "creative" ... so if we want women with orange faces, that's our prerogative ... and people do so in the name of "art", which imo is a left-handed way of saying they don't know how to color correct).

I know that when I'm processing for my color balance and end points, I sometimes forget to pull back the saturation that was collaterally induced in the process ... and a pull back can be necessary to prevent the overcooked look.

HTH ... looking forward to seeing more.

May 25, 2015 at 08:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Processing opinions wanted

I'd say the PP of the first gives it an unnatural look that draws more attention than the scene.

The second seems a bit tone compressed. In itself that isn't necessarily bad, but it's not obvious how it might help that particular scene.

The third has issues with mixed color temperature light. Might be OK, but it's not obvious again how that might be a plus, given the warm nature of the over all color. The larger issue is a lack of sharpness but I presume that is unrelated to post processing.

The contrast in the last one seems rather high and the colors odd. It's often difficult to correct color to be pleasing when most of the light sources seem to be fluorescent.

May 25, 2015 at 09:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Processing opinions wanted

+1 @ Karen's point @ mixed color lighting and the fluorescent in the last one (difficult to correct).

I took a stab at some things. Still "meh" (working off contrasty processed jpg), but hopefully, it can illustrate the difference a cast can make. The more mixed lighting you have to contend with / challenging WB ... the less you may want to push things @ contrast / saturation.

May 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.