New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · PTgui vs Lr

Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PTgui vs Lr

Do you have any experience with PTgui version 10 for panorama stitching ?

How do you rate it against Lr 6/cc or Lr 5 + Ps ?

May 23, 2015 at 11:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PTgui vs Lr

I've used PTG|U|I for years. I don't know about the latest PS, but the PTGUI has numerous controls and options that PS did not have a while ago. Version 10 is very fast compared to the prior versions. You can output large files in the PSB format. Anyway, there is demo you can try.

EBH

May 24, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PTgui vs Lr

I use PTGui Pro for stitching 360 panoramas. Performance has definitely improved in the latest version.

What type of panoramas are you planning to stitch, and how many files?

May 24, 2015 at 08:49 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PTgui vs Lr

Unless your stitching needs are unusual or perhaps if you do a ton of stitching, you probably don't need a specialized tool like PTGui.

I'm a long-time Photoshop user, from all the way back when we felt the need to get specialized plugins for a lot of things, including stitching, noise reduction, and so forth. At that time I did use PTGui, since back then stitching Photoshop was not well-supported at all. However, I stopped using it several years ago, and I haven't missed it.

Mr Joe's question is a good one to answer. If you are mostly going to do single-row horizontal stitches, the Adboe products do a decent job. If you are going to do very complex, multi-row stitches that may be less the case.

If you go the Adobe route, perhaps you want the subscription arrangement — that gives you both LR and Photoshop/ACR in their most current versions.

Dan

May 24, 2015 at 09:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PTgui vs Lr

PTGUI is a lot better/faster than it used to be, and it has a simple perpetual license for now.

EBH

May 25, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PTgui vs Lr

Thanks guys. I used PTgui several years back but then I lost track of it. I saw an email recently about the newest version and thought it looked good, but I didn't want to waste time evaluating something if there was already a useful consensus amongst people who use it properly.

I vaguely recall that way back I had to match exposures of each shot during capture but now it seems that is not so necessary - whether because PTgui can handle it or because Lr can easily match exposures. Using a single exposure for a whole scene can seriously limit the usable DR, though not as much today as with early digital cameras. My concern is not so much the ability to handle hundreds of photos in gigapixel panos, but to easily handle variations in exposure amongst shots taken of a scene that has significant dynamic range - without me needing a Ps pilot's licence

I think my panos will be only ever be a few shots wide and two shots high so that I can make very detailed prints on a 24" printer, but it won't happen very often. PTgui is cheap enough but it seems to be more flexible than Lr.

- Alan

May 26, 2015 at 03:07 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PTgui vs Lr

Hi,

i started using PTgui some months ago and i really love the control you have over the stitching process.
The problem i have encountered so far with PTgui, is that sometimes after creating the panorama as usual, the panorama file shows some funny saturation (extremely cyan) and i have not figured out how to fix this.
The problem appears regardless of the choices i make with tone mapping, exposure etc.

Kind regards,
Evangelos

Jun 01, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PTgui vs Lr

Thanks for that info, Evangelos.
- Alan

Jun 04, 2015 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.