FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

It was a rest stop on our hike to Fitz Roy. Trying out a new (ground squirrel) perspective for landscape in addition to a more traditional perspective.
Dave

May 23, 2015 at 07:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Hey Dave,

Though my favorite here is #2, i do really like the perspective in #1. The composition is very creative, and both shots show that one can get cool shots from there even with no clouds.

Jim

May 23, 2015 at 07:18 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

This has to have just been posted - otherwise there would be lots of comments I am thinking.

Love this set. I prefer #2, but would be happy to have taken either of these!

I am assuming that #1 was taking with an ultrawide lens? The way the trees are leaning in so dramatically gives it that look anyway. And so I think my preference for 2 is just in the composition - I personally like the more open feel that has, with what feels like more natural perspective. Both shots have great color, detail, and exposure to my eye. The fall leaves really pop on #2 though, given the different angle of the light.

What a fantastic place - I expect doubly so in the fall. You have nailed that feeling here - great set, very inspirational, thanks for sharing!

ML

May 23, 2015 at 07:22 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dave,

Though my favorite here is #2, i do really like the perspective in #1. The composition is very creative, and both shots show that one can get cool shots from there even with no clouds.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I see potential in trying this ground squirrel perspective more. This was a challenging afternoon for light - blue skies going in, then the worst dusty harsh high contrast grey you could imagine followed by the crazy lenticular's that have already been posted by several of us.
---------------------------------------------

another_mikey wrote:
This has to have just been posted - otherwise there would be lots of comments I am thinking.

Love this set. I prefer #2, but would be happy to have taken either of these!

I am assuming that #1 was taking with an ultrawide lens? The way the trees are leaning in so dramatically gives it that look anyway. And so I think my preference for 2 is just in the composition - I personally like the more open feel that has, with what feels like more natural perspective. Both shots have great color, detail, and exposure to my eye.
...Show more

ML,

Just posted and thanks for your comments. Pic#1 was taken at 16mm about an inch off the ground. Like I already mentioned I think there is potential with this perspective. This was in the second half of April, which I believe is a little risky for weather but the fall colors were insane!

Dave

May 23, 2015 at 09:54 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Two amazing shots from a fantastic location. First image is my favorite, superb colors and composition.

May 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Both are great shots Dave! What I'd do is change the WB little bit to make them warmer because they look too blue. At first glance I thought these were blue-hour night shots but the second shot (less blue) made me realized these are midday shots.

May 24, 2015 at 06:51 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

though both are very nice, I really dig 1.

May 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

I like both shots. Fall color adds an extra dimension to the normal Patagonia images we see. I'm beginning to think seriously of a "fall" trip there myself, and would appreciate a PM with any tips or info about your trip. Thanks for sharing, and for any info you can provide.

May 24, 2015 at 01:25 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions! Dave

Gregg B. wrote:
Both are great shots Dave! What I'd do is change the WB little bit to make them warmer because they look too blue. At first glance I thought these were blue-hour night shots but the second shot (less blue) made me realized these are midday shots.

Thanks Gregg. Yes - these were mid-day on our hike to Fitz Roy. This is one of the few pics where I did not change the WB. I'm tempted many times to cool the WB of the sky portion to make them a little bluer but in this case it was already gorgeous blue skies. However I did go back and warmed the bottom foreground portions of both pics and that did really help. Thanks! Also thanks for not commenting on the many dust bunnies in the sky on pic #2. Going through 4600+ pics has made me a little sloppy!

stanparker wrote:
I like both shots. Fall color adds an extra dimension to the normal Patagonia images we see. I'm beginning to think seriously of a "fall" trip there myself, and would appreciate a PM with any tips or info about your trip. Thanks for sharing, and for any info you can provide.

Stan - I'm putting together some notes and will include you.

May 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Kinda partial to #1 myself. I like the perspective and the sun star behind the branch. Great shots!!

May 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

The GS perspective is a winner here. I like both but am partial to the wide angle. Excellent.

May 25, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Both of them are nicely done!

May 25, 2015 at 01:31 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Fantastic set Dave! I really like how you used the trees to frame Fitz Roy in the BG of #1 and the colors and clarity are incredible!

Beautiful set Dave. Very well done!

Dave

May 26, 2015 at 09:16 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Impressive perspectives on both! For me they create an extra dimension and a breathtaking feel. Those trees and branches reaching upward are great.

A little info on lens, body, polarizer or not would help a guy like me

I enjoyed them both equally.
Karl

May 26, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Nothing to see here

Edited on Oct 16, 2016 at 10:30 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Thanks again for all the comments/suggestions. Dave

Karl Witt wrote:
Impressive perspectives on both! For me they create an extra dimension and a breathtaking feel. Those trees and branches reaching upward are great.

A little info on lens, body, polarizer or not would help a guy like me

I enjoyed them both equally.
Karl

Karl - both taken with Sony A7r. The GS perspective taken with the Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm F/4 lens at 16mm. No polarizer. The 2nd pic was taken with the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm FE lens with polarizer.

Gregg B. wrote:
I see. There's a simple solution to the problem of loosing blue sky when warming up the shot globally. After adjusting WB try to use (in programs like Lightroom or PS) Vibrance slider. It normally adds a lot of blue so the warmed up blue sky will retain its blueness. If this doesn't work just use Color Masking in PS and target blue color....
This is exactly what I did on the shot below. I adjusted WB and masked out the blue.
The warning added some saturation though, something I could have reduced...

Thanks Gregg. This really warms up th epic. I rarely use vibrance but see its value. I agree the saturation would need some reducing.

May 27, 2015 at 05:34 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

very effective. good comp and color.
Allan

May 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fitz Roy at Laguna del Pato

Dave;
Of all the shots you have posted from Patagonia (so far), #1 is my favorite. A very unique view - well done!
Todd

May 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.