New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · SMC Takumar Fun

Jeff W.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SMC Takumar Fun

With the inspiration and encouragement from a fellow shooter, I started looking for an Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f:1.4 lens (1971 vintage) to use in combination with my Canon EOS 5D Mark III. This is a totally manual lens and requires an adapter to "screw" onto my 5D3. As luck would have it, I found a decent copy in the "used" cabinet of my local camera shop. I picked-up this little beauty for $60.00. The lens is built like a tank and has wonderful glass that renders images differently from modern lenses; at least to my eye. In fact, this little bugger has a radioactive thorium glass element near the rear of the lens that gives it a "cool" factor I like

Today I received a lens adapter from Amazon and spent a little time experimenting with the combination. Here are a couple of simple images taken in my living room using the north facing window for my light source. Based on this initial trial, the darn lens worked like a champ on my 5D3. I'm a seriously happy boy and look forward to more experimentation. In total, I've got $70 USD tied up in this lens and adapter.

May 23, 2015 at 04:18 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SMC Takumar Fun

Nice, congrats on the new addition!!

May 23, 2015 at 04:36 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SMC Takumar Fun

the images are certainly winners! glad the experiment worked so well.
regards, tom

May 23, 2015 at 06:56 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SMC Takumar Fun

Thanks Can0fan and Tom. I think this lens will be a fun tool for taking close to mid-range images.

May 24, 2015 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.