New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best workflow with DXO 10 and Lightroom 5

shiftlens

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best workflow with DXO 10 and Lightroom 5

I've downloaded the trial of DXO 10, and love the way it renders my files. I'm trying to figure out a way to integrate it into my workflow. I would prefer to do all the initial work in DXO. IOW, use it as a raw converter, then use LR. I'm thinking that the best way is to export as TIFF, then do whatever in LR, Nik or Perfect Photo Suite. I was wondering how other people integrate DXO into their workflow. I understand that there is a plugin, but that would mean converting first in LR, then using the Plugin to render a raw file. Unfortunately, DXO can't read its' own DNG file, so you can't go back and forth...Any ideas would be appreciated.

May 23, 2015 at 12:40 AM
dgillilan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best workflow with DXO 10 and Lightroom 5

No, you have a choice of working on your images within DxO first, and then export to LR From DxO. (Note that I am unable to export to LR6 and a popup explained that DxO is having to alter the software for LR6 and it not available as ot today when I tried it). You thus have to choose export to application, then browse to your LIghtroom.exe file and choose it, then you can export from DxO into LR. Thus you do your raw processing within DxO first. You can export to LR in jpg, tiff or dng.
Debra

May 25, 2015 at 04:30 PM
shiftlens

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best workflow with DXO 10 and Lightroom 5

Thank you for replying. What is the best format you've found to export into LR? I tried DNG, but then I wasn't able to roundtrip back to DXO. Also, I want to be able to see the image as I pp'd in DXO and not have LR do anything to the file as it imports.

Thanks again.

May 25, 2015 at 08:38 PM
dgillilan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best workflow with DXO 10 and Lightroom 5

Well, I am not an expert, but the DxO user manual states that "the corrections that you have made to your RAW images in Lightroom are not transferred with those images into DxO OpticsPro". Pg 69
I do use the DNG format to export from DxO into Lightroom, because Lightroom embeds the original raw file within a DNG file, or at least it does when you operate within Lightroom.
I do not go back and forth from DxO to Lightroom and back, etc. I try to get the raw file the way I want to look in DxO first, then if I am satisfied, I export and rename the file(a good habit to rename a file that you are changing, to preserve the original or what you think is an original) and go into Lightroom. After that, I could go into Photoshop also if needed. I have had to retry my raw conversion many times(from scratch) when I was not happy with my results. I mean use the original raw file and start again to process it raw, then go into a develop module in Lightroom, or take it into Photoshop for further editing, then if still not happy, start over again, from raw.

Hope this helps,
Debra

May 26, 2015 at 07:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.