New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Guys, I just got my "X" back this week after getting the shutter replaced (less than 175k thank you!). Now when it sits with the power on (Rest of the camera is asleep, I have a 2 minute auto power off) the battery drains. Overnight the battery drained to 13%. This morning I charged all my batteries to 100%, put fresh LP-E4's (not the "N's") in my 1d3, 1D4 & X to test the drain on all my cameras. After 8 hours, the 1D3/4 showed 100% while the X showed 74%... Am I dreaming that there is something amiss here? anyone have something similar go on with theirs?

May 22, 2015 at 06:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Mine's way more stable than that. Maybe it's a symptom of something that Canon could figure out. You might get some progress by calling in to the service centre. I can;t think of anything off the top that would easily explain it (as it doesn't have GPS and WiFi).

May 22, 2015 at 07:15 PM
bpalermini
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX Voltage leak?

My 1DIV and 1DX have no "off drain" to speak of. I would talk to them and then send it back. That is a real bummer.

May 22, 2015 at 07:55 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Can you try a different lens? Let it sleep just to rule it out...

May 22, 2015 at 08:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX Voltage leak?

You mean current leak? Does it also drain with the power off?
EBH

May 22, 2015 at 09:04 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX Voltage leak?

netexpress wrote:
Can you try a different lens? Let it sleep just to rule it out...

Just mentioning this because I also had this happen to me once. It ended up being the lens and not the camera.

May 22, 2015 at 09:24 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX Voltage leak?

netexpress wrote:
Just mentioning this because I also had this happen to me once. It ended up being the lens and not the camera.

If you just put a body cap on, then that would definitely rule out the lens causing the drain

May 22, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Battery drains with the body cap on.. Switched off, no battery loss. Called CPS and they said something is amiss and sent me a label.. Does me no good for a loaner, or getting it back over a holiday weekend... I've got 8 baseball games this weekend (3pro games)....

May 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX Voltage leak?

I have a Kenko 1.4x TC that will drain an LP-E4 in under 24 hours if I forget to remove it! What does it do with all that energy?

Back in the day I remember a rash of 1D3 with no-lens battery-draining problems which were only resolved by a main-board swap.

May 22, 2015 at 11:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Battery drains with the body cap on.. Switched off, no battery loss. Called CPS and they said something is amiss and sent me a label.. Does me no good for a loaner, or getting it back over a holiday weekend... I've got 8 baseball games this weekend (3pro games)....

But does the camera work for now? Of course it sucks, but the drain does not seem so high that the camera is not useable. Send it in when you don't have so much work.

EBH

May 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Ralph Thompson wrote:

Ralph that really sucks buddy! I feel for you! I'd go to a local shop and buy a couple extra batteries for the weekend and get them charged and ready if you can so you can last the weekend.

May 23, 2015 at 07:40 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX Voltage leak?

luminaire wrote:
I have a Kenko 1.4x TC that will drain an LP-E4 in under 24 hours if I forget to remove it! What does it do with all that energy?

Back in the day I remember a rash of 1D3 with no-lens battery-draining problems which were only resolved by a main-board swap.

It's a simple short circuit. Take a battery for example and connect a wire from the plus to the minus end and let it sit and it will discharge over time. The energy is converted to heat. So don't put it near anything flammable. That's exactly what your Kenko is doing. The heat over time could do damage to your camera's main board so I would toss that Kenko or have it repaired.

May 23, 2015 at 07:43 AM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX Voltage leak?

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Guys, I just got my "X" back this week after getting the shutter replaced (less than 175k thank you!). Now when it sits with the power on (Rest of the camera is asleep, I have a 2 minute auto power off) the battery drains. Overnight the battery drained to 13%. This morning I charged all my batteries to 100%, put fresh LP-E4's (not the "N's") in my 1d3, 1D4 & X to test the drain on all my cameras. After 8 hours, the 1D3/4 showed 100% while the X showed 74%... Am I dreaming that there is something amiss
...Show more

Did Canon disable sleep mode when they were repairing the body? That would drain the battery pretty quickly like you're seeing.

May 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX Voltage leak?

whumber wrote:
Did Canon disable sleep mode when they were repairing the body? That would drain the battery pretty quickly like you're seeing.

BINGO!!!! All my other settings, MA adjusts everything was the same so I never checked the auto power off... They had in fact disabled it!

May 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.