New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

jecottrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

I've been looking for a shift solution on Fuji bodies and thought I had the answer.

Marry this with this...

But, it looks like I've got a focus problem. It won't focus at pretty much any distance. I'm guessing I've got a great big extension tube and not so much of a shift adapter. I'm new to the whole "adapted lenses" program. Am I missing something, or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

John

May 22, 2015 at 03:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

You said, "It won't focus at I'm guessing". I'm guessing you forgot to type, "infinity.".

[edit] OK. You fixed your OP while I was typing my reply (no fair).

In theory, it should work. The Oly 18/3.5 is an excellent lens. I use Oly OM and other "35mm" Alt lenses on both Canon DSLR and Fujifilm X bodies (now X-E2), often using an EOS-to-X adapter on my Alt-to-EOS adapted lens.

The 'normal issue' is when you can get sharp focus in the near- and middle-distances, but not "at infinity". If you can't get decent focus at any distance, then the lens is a definite suspect. Do you have access to any other cameras that you could use to test the lens?

OTOH, it could be technique. Do you have experience using other Alt lenses with 'straight up' adapters on your Fujifilm or other cameras? If yes, then we're back to the lens. Otherwise, maybe something else is going on.

Edited on May 22, 2015 at 04:07 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2015 at 03:56 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Sorry, I caught that typo when I was pasting the same post to the FujiX adapted lens forum.

From what I can tell, it's not focusing precisely anywhere. I can tell the focus is changing, but never reaching anything that I would call acceptable, let alone "in focus."

I'm going to try it on an X-E2 and I'll report back.

May 22, 2015 at 04:07 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

That's odd... I use almost the same setup, a kipon tilt/shift version with a OM zuiko 18mm on a X-Pro1 and the focus works great.

Do you have a plain Olympus OM - Fuji X adapter to see if its a problem of the lens? If it's not I would return the kipon adapter and get a new one (maybe the T/S version?).

May 22, 2015 at 04:19 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Can you measure the flange to flange distance on your adapter? I can't imagine the distance on the shift only adapter has exceeded some critical distance. I would think a T-S would be thicker, no?

But, it's nice to know that yours is working and what I'm attempting is not impossible.

May 22, 2015 at 04:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

jecottrell wrote:
... I would think a T-S would be thicker, no?

No. If it has to be thicker than the proper register difference to fit in the tilt-shift gizmos, then it can't be used as an adapter for that combination of camera and lens (unless it's a 'macro' adapter).

The thickness of the Oly to X adapter should be about 28.3mm (OM = 46.0mm, X = 17.7mm).

May 22, 2015 at 04:28 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

OK, my Kipon Shift OM-FX adapter is:

~25.5mm from flange to flange
~29.5mm total thickness (includes mount that extends into body)

May 22, 2015 at 04:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

You want to measure the 'surface to surface' thickness, between the front face of the adapter on which the butt of the lens rests, to the back face of the adapter, which rests up against the front surface of the camera's lens mount.

May 22, 2015 at 05:02 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Yup, that's what I was calling "flange to flange". The distance the adapter adds to the equation.

Mic'd it's almost exactly 1" or 25.4mm.

But, no matter what, it should be able to focus at some distance, no? This won't focus at all.

May 22, 2015 at 05:09 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

See what happens if you hold the lens 3mm away from the end of the adapter. If you start getting focus then that's the problem. The adapter's much too short.

May 22, 2015 at 05:25 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Do you have a regular OM-X adapter that you've been using with this lens? ie do you know the lens itself is OK?

May 22, 2015 at 05:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

jecottrell wrote:
Yup, that's what I was calling "flange to flange". The distance the adapter adds to the equation.

Mic'd it's almost exactly 1" or 25.4mm.

But, no matter what, it should be able to focus at some distance, no? This won't focus at all.

No. If your flange to flange measurement is right, then there's something is wrong with the adapter.

I just checked my EOS to X adapter. It's supposed to be 26.3mm and my calipers put it at 26.3mm, +/- 0.1mm, based on three measurements. I've attached a screen shot of my register spreadsheet, below.

Maybe it's a faux Kipon.

© jcolwell 2015

May 22, 2015 at 05:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Hi Mike.

May 22, 2015 at 05:32 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

mcbroomf wrote:
See what happens if you hold the lens 3mm away from the end of the adapter. If you start getting focus then that's the problem. The adapter's much too short.

That seemed to do the trick.

mcbroomf wrote:
Do you have a regular OM-X adapter that you've been using with this lens? ie do you know the lens itself is OK?

No, this was going to be a special setup just for some shift work on architecture while traveling. Looks like I'm back to a 5Diii and a full size TS-E lens.

Maybe I'll see if I can find T-S adapter I'll give that a try.

jcolwell wrote:
Maybe it's a faux Kipon.

Got it from Adorama with some special help by Helen Oster, one of their customer service reps. Shipped by air from Kipon themselves. Looks like it's just not designed right. Maybe that's why they don't sell any of them...

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's most appreciated.

John

May 22, 2015 at 06:07 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Kipon make a tilt shift adapter using the same design as Mirex. I have one for the OM-Nex that works well (on the 18mm OM). Here's a link to the OM-X version... pricier though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Tilt-Shift-Adapter-for-Olympus-OM-lens-to-Fujifilm-X-mount-X-Pro1-E1-FX-/231063572856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cc765178

May 22, 2015 at 06:23 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

Hi Jim

May 22, 2015 at 06:27 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

The shift adapters on ebay look different than the one I have in hand. And, they are called "new" as in a new design.

Looking at them they are different as well. Look to be a little taller and some other noticeable cosmetic differences.

May 22, 2015 at 06:37 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

The part number is the same in both (201301). Does yours have that?

May 22, 2015 at 06:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

You should give Helen a shout, and reference this thread.

May 22, 2015 at 07:16 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zuiko 18mm 3.5 (OM) with Shift Adapter on FujiX

No, that was one thing I noticed. The "Kipon OM-FX" is a different font and there is no part number on mine. Like I said, I think this is an old design.

jcolwell wrote:
You should give Helen a shout, and reference this thread.

I have. She's out 'til Tuesday.

She went way out of her way to help me out. I feel bad about bugging her again.

http://www.jecottrell.com/photos/i-r6sK9LV/0/L/i-r6sK9LV-L.jpg

http://www.jecottrell.com/photos/i-xGBQwpT/0/L/i-xGBQwpT-L.jpg

http://www.jecottrell.com/photos/i-4w74wSk/0/L/i-4w74wSk-L.jpg

http://www.jecottrell.com/photos/i-VXRNg6F/0/L/i-VXRNg6F-L.jpg

May 22, 2015 at 07:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.