Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

Paul L
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

I've done these for the last several years and Im running out of ideas for music!

I've burned through most fo the classic "go-to's"

I've love to find something released in the last couple years ...

This is for Womens Lacrosse.

I need a few upbeat tracks for the main action show and a few sentimental ones for the "farewell to the seniors" tribute section.

Any ideas?

May 22, 2015 at 09:05 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

There are quite a few royalty-free places out there were you can purchase music with a sync license. Which places have you checked out already?

John

May 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

This post will go in one of two directions. It's vague enough but given the "go to's" and "released in the last couple of years" my assumption is that you plan to download some popular / mainstream music to use in your slideshow?

BIG NO NO!!!

You as an individual do not have the rights to use the song and distribute it. If you contact the record label or artist, the odds are that you either would not be able to afford said licensing or it would be cost prohibitive.....

2 Possible routes, both of which I have used.

1) Go to triple scoup, find some music, purchase a license based on the usage and a way you go......money goes to the people who produced the tracks, kind of like a media outlet paying for usage of one of your shots.

2) In my area the schools have the rights to play popular / mainstream music at their venues. You do the slideshow with NO AUDIO and get the school to play the audio if this is being presented at an awards banquet. The School does not have permission to distribute the slideshow with the song either. They can simply play music in the gym while it is being shown.

As a photographer it is on US to make sure we do this properly. We are the first people to rush in here and bitch and moan when someone uses our images without permission or proper licensing, so let's not do it to others like musicians.

May 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM
Paul L
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

As a sidenote:

I do not sell, distribute or post this sldeshow anywhere.

It's a live event.... happens once and it likely is never seen again.

This is not something I'm paid for, I'm just a dad on the team.

May 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

Paul L wrote:
As a sidenote:

I do not sell, distribute or post this sldeshow anywhere.

It's a live event.... happens once and it likely is never seen again.

This is not something I'm paid for, I'm just a dad on the team.

The minute you download the song, add it to your slideshow and play it in a public setting it is illegal. It does not matter if you are "just a Dad" or "not getting paid"........

If this is being shown at the school ask them what licensing they have for a song to be played while you show the slideshow.

Again it's on US to make sure things are done right.......

May 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Paul L
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

Trevorma wrote:
If this is being shown at the school ask them what licensing they have for a song to be played while you show the slideshow.

Thank you for your concern. The school can play pop music in the cafeteria, gym and sports stadium....

I'm simply looking for some suggestions on appropriate selections, NOT opinions on the schools use rights.

If you actually have any, please share, if not, I'm good, thanks.

May 22, 2015 at 01:35 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

I'm not really sure of all the legalities. I just know that every post I have seen on the subject here points back to the same conclusion that Trevorma and others have made. You really can't do it. Again, I don't know why because as mentioned... you're not profiting from it. I also wonder how DJ's play music and also profit from playing said music, can do so without paying licensing to those artists.

Maybe not a topic for discussion in this thread, but a topic of discussion nonetheless.

May 22, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

P Alesse wrote:
I'm not really sure of all the legalities. I just know that every post I have seen on the subject here points back to the same conclusion that Trevorma and others have made. You really can't do it. Again, I don't know why because as mentioned... you're not profiting from it. I also wonder how DJ's play music and also profit from playing said music, can do so without paying licensing to those artists.

Maybe not a topic for discussion in this thread, but a topic of discussion nonetheless.

I think it is a discussion for this thread.... Like I said we as photographers are the first to get pissy when our shots are used without pay or permission, so why do it to another industry?

DJ's either have to carry their own licensing or "play" in venues that have licensing for the music. 2 years ago when I got married it shows on the receipt for the venue....schools have the same license.

That said I am sure there are folks out there not doing it the right way ie. Playing song from an iPod.

We as the photog can't add a track to a slide show and play it at the school. The school must play the music for them to be compliant. In this day and age of right click and save or torrent downloads let's at least TRY to do it right, especially when it involves youth who need to be shown the right way to do it.

The OP has no interest in this discussion so this is my last bit of info on the topic

May 22, 2015 at 07:10 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

Paul, I agree not very intuitive since he is not distributing nor commercially gaining from the slideshow.

However, a Slide show is considered a multimedia work and governed by copyright law as well. Digital downloads have very specific rights management/agreement with respect to Replication or Duplication. As we all know, just because it can be done, doesn't make it legal.

Also, there actually. I got be liability incurred by the school should the slideshow be played at their venue. The analogy being the publisher who used copyrighted material provided by a 3rd party but the publisher is the one violating the photo's copyright if not properly checked etc.
Guy

May 22, 2015 at 08:55 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help! Need some NEW mmusic for my sports slideshow/video

Trevorma wrote:
We as the photog can't add a track to a slide show and play it at the school. The school must play the music for them to be compliant. In this day and age of right click and save or torrent downloads let's at least TRY to do it right, especially when it involves youth who need to be shown the right way to do it.

The OP has no interest in this discussion so this is my last bit of info on the topic

Here's the sad part for me...even if we do the right thing, and in this example let's say the school has a license and plays the song legally, basically nobody at the event would even consider that this has been arranged legally. I bet almost everyone would just assume that the music was put on the slideshow. I bet that most people wouldn't think twice about the legalities of this, especially when it's "Just a Dad...not being paid...".

I have a handful of licensed songs that I use, and use them sparingly when it comes to public consumption, preferring to just share such slideshows with clients only. That way I don't really have to deal with overusing the same song over and over again. I also make sure that I include the licensing information in the credits at the end of the slideshow to underline the fact that the song is fully licensed.

May 24, 2015 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.