Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

You can only shoot one body at a time, so unless you need fast access to a 2nd body with a different lens, shooting one body is no issue. That of course assumes you are not a professional; otherwise a back-up body is advisable.

May 22, 2015 at 08:14 AM
mmorey79
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Since we've established you're not needing a second body to make money, I might throw out a suggestion. I shoot motorsports semi-seriously and recently dropped having a second body. I now carry a V2 as a backup, used they're quite reasonable, as are most of the lenses, even the good ones. I had a J1 as a small pocket cam, and on a lark (to prove a point mostly) I used it to shoot some motorsports with one of those screw on ebay viewfinder cups (kinda like a hoodman but permanently attached) and was amazed at how good the little camera was. I'm fairly confident in a pinch if my D600 dies the V2 can do 90% of what it does with less invested in the entire 1 system than just the D600 itself. And it makes a nice travel camera to boot.

May 22, 2015 at 08:39 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I've always been a 2-body shooter, but ever since I switched to mostly manual focus glass, I found no use for a second body. I shoot with a Df and I can honestly say that it changed my mindset about photography. My composition workflow has become more "defined" and methodical. One body means less clutter in your mind dealing with additional bodies and you get to master that one body.

I will, however, buy a cheap backup body for travel purposes where I know I will never return to that unique place again. In that case, a backup is a good safety net.

May 22, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Another vote for glass over a second body. Or perhaps a less expensive second hand camera as a spare. Leaving room for more glass. How about a D700?

May 22, 2015 at 08:35 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

A used D600 or D610 makes a great backup body. I like having backup body although I am not a pro.

May 23, 2015 at 05:49 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Okay, thanks for all of the replies and suggestions from you all. I decided to go ahead and stick with one body and pick up extra accessories and one more lens. I think I'm good for now. Before most of my equipment got stolen, I had one D800 & one D810 body, the 800 just sat in the bag and I never really took it out because I was wanting to use the 810 body. So with that being said, a back up body would just sit around and not get used much. So until I need a second one, I will just use one. All of you, have a good day.

Todd

May 23, 2015 at 09:19 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Two23 wrote:
For $3,000, I'd rather have 100 shares of Union Pacific railroad stock. That would benefit my photography the most. (So when I'm 70 years old I can be traveling & taking photos instead of working the doorway and saying , "Welcome to Walmart!")

Kent in SD

Buy the stock and the camera body. Easy...

Plus if stock is what you are into, why have any camera bodies? Why not just use your iphone and put all your spare money into stocks?

But for me, to each their own. If someone wants 1 body or 5, its their choice, and there really is no wrong or right answer here.

Jim

May 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

While I have found all my Nikon bodies to be extremely reliable, if you are shooting for a living you need two bodies (own or rent). Especially weddings and events where there are no do overs. All the glass in the world won't make up for one dysfunctional body. Maybe compromise with a D750 and and get a 20, 24, or 28.

May 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I had been shooting with one body, but there were times I felt I needed a second, and when I sent my camera in for cleaning and calibration I really noticed not having one around. With starting to do more event work again I decided I can't be in the position of not having a back-up or one with a secondary lens. So I picked up a D750 that's sitting idle in my local UPS service center until Tues. Shame B&H didn't get their shipment one day sooner

May 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I don't go anywhere without a second body as I can't afford to miss opportunities on that account.
However, another lens might be a better idea for now if you have a very limited system.

EBH

May 23, 2015 at 02:55 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

What do you shoot? (for money)

For a pro, it seems like driving without insurance: possible but not recommended and a disaster if the unlikley happens...

May 23, 2015 at 03:09 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

What do you shoot? (for money)

For a pro, it seems like driving without insurance: possible but not recommended and a disaster if the unlikely happens...

May 23, 2015 at 03:10 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

It seems to me that if you travel to take photos, some kind of back up would be desirable.I'd hate to drop three grand on an adventure and have my only camera crap out!

May 23, 2015 at 03:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Todd wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably stay with one. Most of the time you can only use one at a time anyway, right?

Hmmm . . .

I occasionally shoot cityscapes on assignment, or A-B camera/lens tests, with two bodies dual mounted on a large tripod. I've also had occasion to shoot events or weddings with two bodies and lenses around my neck and shoulder, or one on tripod and the other in active mode.

Most often, when I shoot two FF bodies (such as 1Ds3 and 5D2), with 17 TSE and 24 TSE II mounted on each, choosing the final crop with client after the shoot.

I currently only own one Nikon body. But I own four Canon DSLRs, each of a different type, covering three sensor sizes. I choose which camera/cameras and lens/lenses will be appropriate for my needs when the time comes.

Now that I have a D800e, I may find occasion to use it while shooting the 1Ds3. Mix and match. Or I may sell it later and buy the 5DsR and capitalize on the lens assets I have in the Canon camp. The point is, I feel I need/want options, and that no one body, brand or format will do it all for me.

If I HAD to choose, I'd go with one ultra-reliable body and lots of glass, as opposed to multiple bodies and few lenses. The trick is finding one ultra-reliable body that never needs maintenance. Even when I go out with one DSLR, I usually grab a G1X to throw in the bag before walking out the door!

May 23, 2015 at 03:14 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I never had a second body until just recently when I sold my d4 and bought a pair of d750's. I am not a pro, and out when I'm shooting I'll likely use both only when shooting wildlife, to keep a long lens on one body and a wide angle on the other for different types of shots that come up (close in objects, scenery) so I don't have to unstrap the big lens and risk missing something there...Not really necessary for me, more of a 'nice to have'...

May 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Ray S.
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

If you shoot professionally and in situations where you HAVE to get the shot - weddings, journalism, etc, I would definitely have a second body easily available. It not, there's no way I'm carrying two DSLRs around. I used to sometimes carry two m43 or Fuji bodies around, one fully featured and one of the really small ones (had an EM5 and EPL5 for a while). In that case, the second body adds almost no bulk or weight, so i'd keep a wide angle of something always mounted on that for use at a moments notice. But no way I'd do that with a full frame DSLR.

So I just keep one body and I figure if it ever dies, I can have another here the next day from B&H and there's nothing I HAVE to shoot today. If I'm on a trip, I'll have my little Canon G7X along as a pocket camera for when I don't want to carry gear and, honestly, it's good enough that if my Df died, I'd just shoot with that and I wouldn't shed too many tears over not having my better gear available...

But shooting pro, on deadline - that's another story...

-Ray

May 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

You really should know better than anyone whether you need 2 bodies or not.

We've been through stages of one or two bodies depending on our needs. Do we need access to two focal lengths or focal ranges at a time? Do we need a second camera for a second shooter? Do I have the fortitude or willingness to lug a second camera body into the wilderness for landscape work? Can I get by with a second, less weighty backpacking backup option? These are among the considerations we (my wife and I) take into account when acquiring or disposing of extra bodies (and high-quality used D800s can be had or sold the B&S forum for $1200-$1400 nowadays).

May 26, 2015 at 04:10 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Assuming non professional use (otherwise you know the answer) I find that a different camera/system is nicer than just duplicating what you have. Get a rangefinder for example and try something new.

I will say though that pro or not, a backup is essential (either the same or different system). Having suffered camera failure 3 times (and one of them was in a big trip) I never go anywhere without two cameras at least (I have 6 ).

May 26, 2015 at 05:25 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Well I'll stay with one body for now. If I find I need another, I'll get one next year after income tax refund. Many of you can obviously drop $3-4K on a camera, I have to save for one. So, I'll wait a year and possibly get another if I actually need it.

T

May 26, 2015 at 08:20 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I'm curious as to why you were asking if you should get another body or lenses if you don't have the money? Did you mean in the future?

May 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.