Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Todd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Hi all... Here is my scenario. Most of my camera gear was stolen out of my vehicle and it was fairly well hidden. I had the big items (two camera bodies, four lenses) on scheduled insurance and I received money from the insurance company to get most of it replaced and I did so. However I only have three lenses now: Sigma 50mm art, Nikon 85mm f/1.4, & a Zeiss 135mm f/2 apo. These all go on my Nikon D810.

My question is: should I get a second D810 or buy more glass.
My other question is: how many of you have just one body? I've always had two, but I'm wondering how I would do just using one? I realize having a second is good for piece of mind and a spare in case one breaks. Honestly I would use the second body at random while the primary body gets used the most. I thought about the D750 as a spare, but I'm not sure. The local camera store only had one D810 in stock and that's why I only have one so far.

So...more glass or a second D810?

Todd

Edited on May 23, 2015 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2015 at 06:34 PM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Depending on the scenario, if you are not using the second body a lot, I would buy glass. If the need arises where you would want/need a second, wedding, concert, etc. then consider renting.

May 21, 2015 at 06:48 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

You are shooting prims. Lens changes are a lot faster when you grab a second body the the lens already mounted

Morris

May 21, 2015 at 07:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I have two D810 bodies, but am not utilizing them the way I thought I would. The cash would have been better spent on glass.

If I were a wedding photographer I would definitely have two, but I'm not finding them necessary at this point for landscape or wildlife.

You will also lose your shirt on a body, if you buy a $3,000 D810, although it may stabilize somewhat at $2,200 for a while.

May 21, 2015 at 07:22 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Nikon 300/4 VR is in your cards? My vote would be glass

May 21, 2015 at 08:56 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Well I thought about that... But I have a 300mm f/2.8 now. Maybe I'll replace my 1.4 TC...

T

webmstrk9 wrote:
Nikon 300/4 VR is in your cards? My vote would be glass

May 21, 2015 at 08:58 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Thanks Craig... I think I'll get some glass. Not sure yet. Maybe the Sigma 35mm art. I've had it before. It's a nice one. That is about as wide as I think I'll need or want. Had the Nikon 14-24 before, but it sat up in a bag for over a year. Got rid of it. My favorite focal lengths are 85mm and 50mm. If I need another D810, I'll wait for the price drop. :^)

ckcarr wrote:
I have two D810 bodies, but am not utilizing them the way I thought I would. The cash would have been better spent on glass.

If I were a wedding photographer I would definitely have two, but I'm not finding them necessary at this point for landscape or wildlife.

You will also lose your shirt on a body, if you buy a $3,000 D810, although it may stabilize somewhat at $2,200 for a while.

May 21, 2015 at 09:05 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Craig's point is well taken about purchasing new vs used if you're not going to be using the second body a lot or unless it's critical to your work to have an equal second.

If you're down to one body, it certainly makes sense to have a competent backup but that can be had for well less than $1,000.

We've all heard the conventional wisdom of glass not bodies, I'd also toss out the question of whether there are any other photography-related gaps you may be better served to fill. The list is endless but computer, backup drives, calibrated monitor stuff, lighting, sample prints for display, workshops, destination shoots... and on and on.

Regards,

Chuck

May 21, 2015 at 09:08 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Glass. Definitely glass unless there is a specific need for a second body.

May 21, 2015 at 09:08 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Doesn't sound like we shoot the same things, becsuse I either shoot at 500-700mm or very wide, but I've always had only one body. Never bothered me in the least.

May 21, 2015 at 09:23 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably stay with one. Most of the time you can only use one at a time anyway, right?

groob wrote:
Doesn't sound like we shoot the same things, becsuse I either shoot at 500-700mm or very wide, but I've always had only one body. Never bothered me in the least.

May 21, 2015 at 09:40 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

You only have 2 hands.

Unless you need snap access to a body with a different angle of view......

May 21, 2015 at 09:53 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Glass glass. Lol or pick you a cheaper body and glass cover the bases

May 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

A used DX camera would be easier on the wallet and be a good backup for peace of mind. Of course you can also get a used d6xx for about a grand or less now.

May 21, 2015 at 10:08 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

If you are doing weddings, you absolutely MUST have a second body available at a moment's notice. If you aren't getting paid for photos, it's VERY hard to justify having >$2K tied up in a spare digital body that is rapidly depreciating.

Kent in SD

May 21, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

True! No weddings for me. I used to do that, but no longer. I'm going with another lens and accessories. Thanks..

Two23 wrote:
If you are doing weddings, you absolutely MUST have a second body available at a moment's notice. If you aren't getting paid for photos, it's VERY hard to justify having >$2K tied up in a spare digital body that is rapidly depreciating.

Kent in SD

May 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Hey Todd,

For me its 2 bodies. But it depends on your needs and how you shoot. I like to keep one body with a WA lens on it and one with a longer lens. That way when i am out hiking and exploring i can switch from wide to tight in an instant.

And also it can give some peace of mind too. For instance i just got back from a remote trip in the Philippines and i went lighter with only 1 camera body, well one day as i was back on some remote rice terraces shooting the D810 froze up with the dreaded "Err". For 5 mins i couldnt get it to shoot, i tried switching lenses, memory cards, cycling power etc, it wouldnt start working. And i am starting to wonder what I will do? I still had plenty of hiking and shooting to do, and the thought "this is why i always bring 2 bodies.." Ran through my head. Finally i accidently rotating the aperture thumb wheel and the Err went away. What a sigh of relief i gave! But i learned my lesson. I will always bring a 2nd body, even if its just tucked away in my backpack wrapped up with no lens.

Jim

May 21, 2015 at 11:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

People have money tied up now a days in all sorts of things. If its not a 2nd camera body they are buying new cell phones or ipads even though the old ones still work. They are buying stereos for their cars, you name it. So there is nothing wrong with getting a second body even if a person isnt shooting weddings or making money with their cameras. If someone is getting joy from their cameras who cares if they have 3 camera bodies.

As for depreciation, i stopped worrying about that long long ago. Again, my joy in using a good camera body far out weighs any money that might be lost in what i could get in selling a used camera.

But thats me, and thats all i can speak for.

Jim

May 22, 2015 at 02:12 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

I'd get an affordable (D700? Maybe a high-mile D800) second body if you're a working pro. The one day you have a drop or whatever and you can't do what you are supposed to do... Plus I'd think the ability to have another body prepped with a lens would be a plus on occasion.

May 22, 2015 at 06:34 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · how many of you get by with one body? / edit: Using one body!

JimFox wrote:
People have money tied up now a days in all sorts of things. If its not a 2nd camera body they are buying new cell phones or ipads even though the old ones still work. .....
As for depreciation, i stopped worrying about that long long ago. Again, my joy in using a good camera body far out weighs any money that might be lost in what i could get in selling a used camera.

But thats me, and thats all i can speak for.

For $3,000, I'd rather have 100 shares of Union Pacific railroad stock. That would benefit my photography the most. (So when I'm 70 years old I can be traveling & taking photos instead of working the doorway and saying , "Welcome to Walmart!")

Kent in SD

May 22, 2015 at 08:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.